Josh Koscheck: “I feel like I’ve got a lot to prove this fight because my last fight was suspect.”

There is a fairly large contingent of fans who feel UFC welterweight Josh Koscheck came away with a lucky Split Decision win in his February fight with Mike Pierce. While Koscheck himself won’t go so far as to label his victory as being undeserved, it appears the 34-year old at least understands where the criticism comes from and will be looking to wipe it away with a convincing performance tomorrow night against Johny Hendricks at UFC on FOX 3.

“I feel like I’ve got a lot to prove this fight because my last fight was suspect,” said the 17-5 Koscheck in an interview with the UFC when asked about the bout with Hendricks. “A lot of people are saying, ‘Ah, Koscheck’s had an eight-year career. He’s coming to the end.’ I’ve got a lot to prove. I’ve got a lot of fights still left in me.”

In Hendricks he will be facing a 12-1 adversary on a three-fight winning streak and a recent knockout of Jon Fitch, Koscheck’s friend and former training partner. “Kos” is aware of the dangers Hendricks poses but isn’t completely convinced he’s as skilled as he’s been built up to be.

“I think Johny Hendricks has got some pretty good power. His wrestling is good. He’s a pretty well-rounded fighter. I don’t think he’s a complete fighter but I think he’s a pretty well-rounded fighter,” explained Koscheck of his adversary. “He can do some stand-up. He’s okay on the ground and obviously he can take the fight to the ground. And he can prevent with his wrestling.”

As far as the Fitch connection, Koscheck also added he felt it was his turn to deliver some “payback” after Fitch had done the same for him stemming from losses to Thiago Alves and Paulo Thiago.

Koscheck-Hendricks will be part of the main card broadcast with other featured fights including Alan Belcher-Rousimar Palhares, Pat Barry-Lavar Johnson, and headliners Jim Miller-Nate Diaz.

The full interview with Koscheck as well as comments from Hendricks can be found below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Actually Kos at your age still bleaching your hair blonde is whats pretty suspect.

I think Kos gets the UD and once again leave Joe Silva and DW thinking what do we do with Kos?

Kos
    Barry
    Miller
    Palhares

• MCM says:

Kos may say that Hendricks isn’t a complete fighter, but I don’t think Kos has a good game off his back. I think Hendricks puts him on the ground and either gets the TKO or controls him for three rounds.

This entire card is so close though. I don’t remember the last time I saw a main card that didn’t have at least one or two gimme fights on it. This one is a 50/50 across the board.

• AlphaOmega says:

Kos actually being somewhat respectful? Weird. So Kos has something to prove cuz his last fight was suspect, and Hendricks says he has something to prove so people don’t think his KO of Fitch was a lucky punch

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Kos takes this fight, but it will be a close one. The difference between Kos and Fitch is that Hendricks didnt have to worry about getting knocked out when he fought Fitch so he let his hands go, now he has to be a lot more careful or he will be the one looking up at the lights.

• fanoftna33 says:

I got Kos
    Johnson
    Belcher
    Miller

• fitfreak says:

I wish the prelims were on FX instead of Fuel.

• Richard Stabone says:

Barry
    Belcher
    Hendricks
    Miller

Hathaway vs. Krauss is a really interesting fight too.

This is Koscheck’s last realistic shot at title contention, and once he loses Saturday his gradual descent begins. Same with Mir in a few weeks.

• Kamakosmo says:

For those who do not get FuelTV (like me), they usually show these on ESPN Deportes…well, they did show the UFC on FuelTV’s on that channel so far, so I’m, assumiong the same will go for the Prelim’s…doesn’t hurt to check it out (and have to listen to them in Spanish)