UFC on FOX 3 Results: Nate Diaz taps Jim Miller in main event

The UFC was back on network television tonight with a card surpassing their previous two efforts, at least in terms of total fights if not overall depth. The UFC on FOX 3 lineup featured a trio of tilts featuring top contenders as well as a heavyweight bout between strikers Pat Barry-Lavar Johnson starting the card out on an entertaining note for even the most casual fan with a stand-up war delivering a knockout finish.

The show was headlined by Jim Miller mixing it up with Nate Diaz in hopes of positioning himself within striking distance of the lightweight title, while Josh Koscheck looked to avenge a knockout loss to friend Jon Fitch by taking out the man who flattened him, Johny Hendricks. Dangerous submission specialist Rousimar Palhares also battled it out with Alan Belcher on the FOX broadcast.

Diaz turned in the finest performance of his career at the show, taking Miller out in the second round with a Guillotine Choke and becoming the first person to finish the New Jersey native in the process. The son of Stockton’s striking was crisp throughout, dropping Miller in the opening frame, and ultimately assisted him in setting up the spectacular submission stoppage.

After the win Diaz made sure to give a shout out to Strikeforce title-holder Gilbert Melendez who he labeled as the TRUE world champion.

Koscheck failed in his bid to beat Hendricks, losing a hard-fought Split Decision and exiting the bout with a severely swollen eye-socket. Meanwhile, Belcher put Palhares down after fending off a number of submission attempts and then pounded out a victory on the ground. The win was Belcher’s fourth in a row and positioned him as one of the top threats in the middleweight division.

Read below for a full list of UFC on FOX 3 outcomes:

Karlos Vemola def. Mike Massenzio via Submission Round 2 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Roland Delorme def. Nick Denis via Submission Round 1 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Dennis Bermudez def. Pablo Garza via Unanimous Decision
Danny Castillo def. John Cholish via Unanimous Decision
Louis Gaudinot def. John Lineker via Technical Submission Round 2 (Guillotine Choke)
John Hathaway def. Pascal Krauss via Unanimous Decision
John Dodson def. Tim Elliott via Unanimous Decision
Michael Johnson def. Tony Ferguson via Unanimous Decision
Lavar Johnson def. Pat Barry via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
Alan Belcher def. Rousimar Palhares via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Johny Hendricks def. Josh Koscheck via Split Decision
Nate Diaz def. Jim Miller via Submission Round 2 (Guillotine Choke)

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Dufresne says:

All I can say after the Roland Delorme vs. Nick Denis fight is “wow”. Those kids are good. Good short techniques by Denis, great chin and heart by Delorme, and just an over all incredible 1 round fight. I hope the rest of the fights are half as entertaining.

• moosebaby02 says:

GOOD GOD
    How did Barry stand in there for so long?

• qat says:

Seems to me like Barry always comes to play, not to win..

• qat says:

How impressive was that by Belcher

• Alan Belcher son! I said he had the chops to hang with anyone anywhere. He should get the winner of Munoz and bisping or stann and Lombard for a title shot.

• Dufresne says:

Wow. I thought Belcher was screwed once Palhares grabbed his leg, but not only did he defend the leg locks he was working for submissions of his own. And talk about some nasty GnP. Excellent performance.

• moosebaby02 says:

JUST DIRTY. Rogan was yelling for him to get up when he escaped and I was like why??? The way he was rolling and escapeing why should he be scared and then BAM elbow and then it was done. Awesome

• Great fight between big rig and Kos. Go Hendricks I’m 3 and 0 tonight

I’m 0-3… I ain’t even mad. Fuck it.

Now that miller lost a Perfect 0-4… Fantastic picks on my behalf

• DIAZ SON! 209! That was impressive as hell, I expected a much more competitive fight. Nate just might hold that title soon.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I thought Kos won that on 10-9 system but as a whole lost.
    Diaz bros is there anyway you can fit leg checks in with your style. I know it kinda stuffs it up but man you gotta try.

• fanoftna33 says:

nice picks Rece, I was good on Johnson and Belcher but off on Kos and Miller. Great job by Johnson and Belcher to take the fights away from the favorites and a very good fight of fights.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I usually don’t care about what the “casual” fan might think of the sport based on the broadcast, but tonight’s four Fox fights definitely showed the diversity of MMA.

• Lord Faust says:

Kos lost the questionable decision, making up for his razor-thin win over Pierce.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m sad about Barry, really wanted him to win, was a good fight though. Wanted Kos to get KO’ed too, and its not like Hendricks didn’t try..that was a good fight as well though. All of them were good fights, didn’t get to see the prelims except for the tony ferguson fight..which seemed boring to me.

• Screenplaya says:

My guess is that KOS is gonna be shaleved for a while following this fight. I think that right orbital might be busted again. It was a competitive fight, but I was underwhelmed by the lack of technical striking both guys showed. Still, a great fight, and a close decision. Who wouldn’t want to see that one again?

• Lord Faust says:

Barry is just way too short for heavyweight. His main strength, striking, is basically nullified because he gives up so much reach in his fights.