Keith Jardine-Roger Gracie inked for July battle in Strikeforce

Roger Gracie will make his debut at middleweight against Keith Jardine in July at a yet-to-be-announced Strikeforce event.

While nothing has been made official by the promotion, Strikeforce is expected to announce a date and location for the show soon. Rumors have Portland, Oregon as the host site with a middleweight title-fight between Luke Rockhold and Tim Kennedy serving as the main event.

MMAFighting confirmed the news of the Gracie-Jardine bout and event location with several sources.

Gracie (4-1) lost his last match at light heavyweight to Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal, pushing him to make the drop to the ranks of the middleweights after starting out strong at 205 pounds. As his last name might indicate, Gracie is a widely respected BJJer with numerous awards at the highest level relating to his chosen discipline.

Meanwhile, Jardine (17-10-2) is a UFC veteran who made his 185-pound debut in Rockhold’s first and only title-defense, losing in the opening round of action. Regardless of the stumble, Jardine has racked up a number of impressive wins in his career including those of Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

Not too familiar with Roger, but I’d like to see Jardine pick up a win. The guy has some inexplicable appeal. I just wish he had a chin left.

• MCM says:

I start every Jardine thread with the same thing… I love me some Keith Jardine. But I too wish he didn’t have such a big shut off button, although he takes a hit a lot better than people give him credit for.
    I thought he was gonna take more time off before he took another fight. I’m not complaining cause I love watching this guy fight. I really would like to see him finish out his career with a nice little winning streak, even if it isn’t against the best competition.

• fitfreak says:

At least he’s not worried about getting knocked out in this fight. Maybe he can keep it standing and pull out a win.

Just wish SF had more stability… they need to pick up young up & comers and some middle of the pack veterans and just pump cards out.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

When a fighter with a famous last name that hasn’t proved anything yet, fights a washed up veteran making a living as a sacrificial lamb in a promotion few people watch, in a fight that means nothing, does anyone really care?

• fanoftna33 says:

I for one care as a huge fan of the dean of mean. I hope he gets a win here, and would not be surprised to see some ground work from Jardine either as he has some skills there as well.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Why would he want to get the fight to the ground against Gracie? Maybe to avoid getting KO’d again?

Don’t like his chances in this one.

• Lord Faust says:

Jardine has decent wrestling, and the KO power he lacks standing is a real thing on the ground. I don’t think anyone’s expecting him to roll around with Gracie, but I could see him looking for clean strikes and grinding Gracie down. Unless I’m confusing him with another Gracie, I am pretty sure Roger has shown a lacking gas tank.

• AlphaOmega says:

On a completely personal/financial note I want Jardine to win and keep winning since I just got his Leaf MMA card off of ebay from a lot of 10.