Ronda Rousey defending her bantamweight title in August against Sarah Kaufman

It looks like fans will have to wait a few more months before Strikeforce bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey returns to the ring to defend the belt she won in highlight-reel fashion by shredding Miesha Tate’s arm with a submission. Though the victory came in March and Rousey escaped the bout injury-free, Strikeforce’s scheduled show in July already has a pair of title-fights attached to it leaving little room for the Olympic medaling judoka’s presence.

As such, Rousey will face top contender Sarah Kaufman in August though the event does not have a specific date/location yet. The UFC, also owned by Zuffa, currently has cards lined up for August 4 and August 11 making the second-half of the month the most obvious landing spot for the two talented 135ers’ tilt.

News of the match-up was confirmed by MMAFighting while citing sources close to Strikeforce.

Kaufman is a former champion whose only career loss involved dropping the strap to Marloes Coenen. The 15-1 Canadian has won three straight since including success against Liz Carmouche and most recently Alexis Davis.

By comparison, Rousey is 5-0 with all five of her victories involving an opening round Armbar finish.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• AlphaOmega says:

Nothing against Rhonda, I didn’t like a lot of the trash talking she did but it seems mostly it was for hype and she doesn’t seem like a bitch, but I want Sarah to win back her belt..I like her more.

I’m sexist when it comes to WMMA… whose ever easier on the eyes I’m pulling for.

• AlphaOmega says:

In the respect..I still want Sarah to win..

• THEGUNNER says:

As long as they re not in the ufc im good.

• Angry Mike says:

No disrespect to Kaufman, but Rousey is going to take this. Strikeforce will have to bring back Cyborg Santos to have a competitive fight for Rousey. And yes, I know they fight in different weight classes, but I have this sneaking suspicion that Cyborg is losing some weight these days. I think the usual explanation is a renewed focus on diet and strength and conditioning.

Cyborg will probably have to drop down because they stripped her title and there probably won’t be a division or belt for her when she gets back..the only other opponent before Cyborg could be Coenen if they can get GG to be on the same page as them then maybe Marloes will get to fight Ronda… but that’s a BIG if… Marloes tweeted out pics of her check and called out Dana and said her mgt & Team were in the right… DW/Zuffa definately didn’t take that shit light last year with the whole paycheck issues with Fighters and GG.

• Sweet….two outstandingly skilled and gorgeous women fighting…it just couldnt get much better.

Rousey by(you guessed it) arrmbar

• Michael says:

I want to see Rhonda eat two or three big shots in the face. Her fights are boring.

• fitfreak says:

IMO Rousey is one of the most exciting fighters out there, male or female. If she wins this, I hope they can line up Coenen and Cyborg.

• fanoftna33 says:

Sarah has very solid takedown defense, and heavy hands, much better than Tate so if she is able to defend the bull rush from Rousey and peppers her for a while before going for broke we may see a very interesting fight.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think Kaufman will be able to stop the takedown, but I am very curious to see how Rousey’s cardio would look if she gets taken past the first round.