Strikeforce releases highlights package recapping road to Heavyweight Grand Prix Final

Though the journey has been a long one and featured the occasional speed-bump, the home stretch has finally arrived for Strikeforce as the promotion is less than two weeks away from crowning a winner in their ambitious Heavyweight Grand Prix. The original field of eight has been whittled down to Daniel Cormier and Josh Barnett, two talented grapplers with striking to boot.

Cormier is undefeated since transitioning to MMA from a decorated career on the mat, racking up a 9-0 mark including wins over Jeff Monson and Antonio Silva to earn his crack at Barnett. The American Kickboxing Academy product has been out since September with a broken hand he suffered in his knockout victory over the big Brazilian.

Comparably, Barnett is 31-5 in his fifteen-year career featuring stops in the UFC and PRIDE. Among his numerous instances of impressive success are wins against Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. The 34-year old has also exited the ring with his hand raised in his last eight outings.

Strikeforce recently released a recap of the Grand Prix allowing fans to re-live some of the highlights leading up to next week’s show including the destruction of Fedor Emelianenko, Andrei Arlovski being rendered into a puddle of goo, and of course the performances of Barnett-Cormier.

Check it out below:

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• Lord Faust says:

That shot of all 8 guys would make a great header image for a depressing “where are they now” article.

This tournament was an awesome idea at first, but thanks to scheduling issues there really was no “tournament”, it just ended up being a regular fight schedule.

I know the days of the PRIDE GPs and UFC one-night tourneys are consigned to history, but Bellator has done a great job with their tournament format. Of course, you can have guys fighting more often when they’re not very well known — for payroll and logistical reasons.

• Lord Faust says:

Back on topic: I am actually excited to see the final match. Cormier has really grown on me — both as a fighter and a person — and I’ve always enjoyed watching Barnett fight. I am still sticking with my pick, with Josh winning the whole thing, but I am looking forward to finally seeing the fight.

• No doubt…..I cant wait to see this fight and at the end of it all both these guys in the octagon.

• oh and I forgot, Im lookin to thomson vs melendez 3, as well as Kyle and Feijao 2….sf is making due with what they have.

• Lord Faust says:

Despite what my comments probably indicate, I don’t want SF to fail. I’d love for Scott Coker to turn things around and make me look stupid 12 months from now. If they’re going to lock up their talent, I damn well want to see them!

• “All four quarter finals lived up to the hype”
    What a horrible LIE when referring to Werdum vs. Reem

Just hope they start crossing over talent at least give the mid card or undercard UFC guys time to shine on the televised portion of a card and get some burn in the cage… Just sucks that they aren’t doing the talent swaps here & there… Either that or get all fresh talent and mimic a bellator business strategy but with less tourneys and more title defenses.

• fitfreak says:

Really looking forward to this. I can’t pick a winner. Cormier is at a point in his career where he is still improving every time you see him.

I get the feeling Zuffa wants Strikeforce to fail so Showtime won’t renew the contract.

I have absolutely no faith in Scott Coker turning things around in SF. I never understood their marketing strategy. They put Scott Smith on a pedestal, and put great prospects and future title contenders on the undercard.

• Lord Faust says:

I think it was MCM who made a good case for SF screwing up as soon as they got bigger than a regional promotion. More and more that seems true.

• Dufresne says:

Am I the only one that thinks Cormier looks like a guilty little kid in the thumbnail that’s being used on the main page? It looks like it may be a SF poster and Barnett looks intimidating, but Cormier looks like he got busted trying to swipe an extra brownie.

• Angry Mike says:

Of course I’ll watch, but given the big names at the beginning of this tournament, the finale will be a little anticlimactic. In order to have hype and buzz, the championship needed two big names, like Overeem and Barnett. Another reason to be pissed off at Overeem, I guess.