Urijah Faber’s fight at UFC 148 will involve an interim title

The future of the UFC’s bantamweight division became slightly clearer last night when Dana White addressed the status of injured champion Dominick Cruz and rival challenger Urijah Faber. According to the UFC President, Cruz will be out for approximately nine months based on his recent ACL tear though he’ll remain in his role as a coach on the current season of the Ultimate Fighter.

With Cruz out of the picture until at least the first quarter of 2013, and having already missed the past nine months due to a hand injury as well as TUF, White explained the organization will create an interim title to keep things going at 135 pounds with Faber serving as one of the two contenders. “The California Kid” will compete at UFC 148 as expected though the typically outspoken executive stopped short of revealing who his opponent would be.

Currently the men believed to be the most likely options in order of relevance are Renan Barao, Michael McDonald, and Ivan Menjivar. Barao is almost certainly the organization’s first choice, as well as Faber’s, with a 28-1 record and his only loss occurring in his professional debut more than seven years ago. Comparably, McDonald (15-1) is coming off an impressive knockout of Miguel Torres at UFC 145 and has eight straight victories, while Menjivar (24-8) is a seasoned veteran with a trio of triumphs in his last three outings.

No information was provided in terms of when Faber’s opponent will be announced.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/WEC

• hindsightufuk says:

it has to be Renan, his record is amazing, and his recent wins were dominating performances.
    MM has an impressive record but its half the size of Renans, Menjivar shouldnt even be an option at this stage

ZUFFA sees Faber with a Belt and then sees $$ signs…. Interim or not this guy is all over the place and has great sponsors and has built his own brands, From a marketing and branding stand point UFC needs superstar champions like GSP to push the sport off MMA and the UFC to new territories and hook new fans and sponsors. Faber is capable of that… Jon Jones is becoming a capable of that….Silva is capable but mostly in his home country of Brazil….Cruz, Condit, JDS, Aldo.. not so much.

• fitfreak says:

I bet the winner of this interim title will actually defend it instead of waiting for the real champ to return. If Faber can win these fights, it might be his best chance to beat Cruz coming off an injury and very long layoff.

• MCM says:

Thank god for interim titles. I was so worried Faber would actually have to put together a string of wins (read more than 1) before getting another title shot. Whew, dodged a bullet there Urijah. And don’t worry about Barao, I’m sure that after you lose to him, they’ll find a way to throw you into another title fight with Cruz anyway. They’ll probably strip Cruz of his belt and make the two of you fight when he returns in a “#1 contenders” fight.

• Big Stank says:

Thankfully someone on here dislikes Faber as much as I do. Anyone willing to sign my petition to get him to permanently cover up his butt chin?

• hindsightufuk says:

i never liked the whole white jock with corn rows gangsta limping to 2pac, other than that i’ll always watch him fight, always entertaining

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Rece Rock was right when he talked about $$$ and Faber. He is the most well known guy in the division by far even if he comes across as an arrogant prick.

He has to be a big favorite against anyone not named Cruz. Would like to see him lose but, not sure anyone besides Cruz at 135 can make it happen.

• I would’ve previously thought that Renan would smash on Urijah, but after watching his fight with Jorgensen, I dont think so anymore….I think Faber would be a stiff test.

And I would LOVE to see Mayday get the title shot! That kid is even closer to my hometown than the Diaz bros…209!

And MCM, I think Condit can be as marketable as any champ out there….if GSP is so marketable and he has zero onscreen charisma….condit can be a star.

• MCM says:

I know the posts don’t always show it, but Rece Rock and I are different people.

• My bad dude read his post then yours and mixed my reply?

• king mah mah says:

@superdave- Yeah condit could be a star, but not if his gameplan is to run away from the camera man! That’s what greg jackson would tell him to do anyway.

I don’t care who Faber fights. I will be watching.