Jon Jones-Dan Henderson set for September showdown

UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones will fight for the second time this year when he meets Dan Henderson on September 1 at what will likely be UFC 151 (though the actual event has yet to be officially announced). However, UFC President Dana White confirmed the date’s attachment to the match-up via Twitter where he also mentioned it would take place in Las Vegas.

Jones (16-1) has successfully defended the belt three times against former UFC champions, toppling Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Lyoto Machida by way of submission last year and Rashad Evans by decision last month.

While he may have never held the UFC title, Henderson (29-8) is a former Strikeforce and PRIDE champion. He secured his shot at “Bones” by defeating Mauricio Rua in a Fight of the Year contender this past November and has won four straight including finishes of Renato Sobral, Rafael Cavalcante, and Fedor Emelianenko.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• moosebaby02 says:

if Evans couldnt slow down Jones or even cut him off what makes Dan think he can? With the little head movement he has as it is all he would be is a speed bag for the champ and his really really long arms. And i dont care how well he can take a punch but when u are going to get hit as many times in the face as he will just to get in close it wont be good. Just picture GSP vs Kos but with the crazy reach and with the stopage

Yeah I’m a Hendo fan but it doesn’t look good for him.
    Just hope Jones gains weight and moves on to the HWs in another fight or 2…

• king mah mah says:

I hope Jones gets laid out cold! Can’t stand that asshole! And yes, he is cocky and arrogant.

• AlphaOmega says:

I thought Jones wanted to defend his belt 4 times this yr?

• MCM says:

I agree with king mah mah….and moosebaby02. I hope Jones gets laid out, but I’m not blind enough to think that Dan has anything Jones hasn’t seen before (and seen better).

• JBAR says:

Man, a lot of people had these same comments before Dan faced Fedor, I am hoping for a similar result.

• Richard Stabone says:

Jon Jones is cocky and stuff.

• justafan says:

I think most would agree Jon Jones is at least one of the best LHW’s around, if not the best. So he is a little cocky, who cares? I am not a mma fighter, so I am not at risk for being the best anywhere, except for maybe my house, but if I was that good, it would probably take a lot of effort to not be really, really cocky. It sounds like most of you are competitors, and probably have some amount of well deserved cockyness, why shouldn’t even the lowest rated fighter in the UFC, not to mention the top rated?