Dana White unleashes verbal tirade concerning recent UFC on FOX ratings reports

UFC President Dana White has used social media to interact with fans on a level never seen before by someone in his position. At the same time, White also likes to take advantage of those tools to get his personal points across as well.

This week, White hammered home just how successful UFC on FOX 3 was. While some outlets reported the ratings numbers as being drastically down from previous shows, the brash boss of the UFC is standing by his claims that the show was a relative success in the big picture.

“You get these reporters who go out there and say all this (expletive) about the ratings without knowing all the facts,” said Whit, in a recent video blog. “Well, I’m going to layout the facts for all you guys who don’t know a lot about television ratings.”

The reported number – 2.4 million – initially drew the interest of White in this installment of his normally-fun-loving blog, pointing to a number of factors including the Cinco de Mayo holiday and viewership in general being down by ten million that night.

Check out the complete four-minute tirade below:

• JBAR says:

Dang, I can’t watch the video at work but I did my part for the ratings, I watched it, DVR’d it and watched it again. I am such an over achiever. :) Maybe Dana will send me a free UFC T-shirt.

Don’t hold your breathe for that tee shirt JBAR…

they only thing DW says that means anything to me is about beating the NBA other then that he is wasting his time and looking like a fool for going in on a reporter casuals and most other ppl don’t know or barely ever heard of… it would have bee nmore productive and professional to pretend the guy doesn’t exist… instead you probably gave him a million hits on his twitter and other internet pages.

• hindsightufuk says:

talking of free t-shirts i’m sure this site owes me an Affliction shirt

• Screenplaya says:

I don’t always support Dana’s often-unprofessional rants, but I think I have to have his back on this one. I think he really means to hold MMA reporters’ feet to the fire. This is no longer a fringe business where your opinions can be forgotten. You have to behave like journalists, now.

Still, Dana gets away with being unprofessional, so the message gets muddied. The sport in gerneral has gone mainstream and everyone has to nut up and accept it.

• MCM says:

this site owes me a Hamil package.

I didn’t watch the video, but 2.4 million hardcore fans stayed home on a Saturday night on Cinco de Mayo, to watch the fights. Now the network knows that they can their base viewership for a UFC event is 2.4 mil. What happens if they actually promote the fight, put on fighters people have heard of and put it on a night that isn’t one of the biggest party nights of the year? Doesn’t sound like a loss to me.

• Lord Faust says:

Can’t watch the video here, but is this what the Twitterverse was babbling about last night? Is this where he called out Dave Meltzer with the oh-so-classy line “you lost your job, so who needs your advice.”?

I think the fuss over the ratings — given all the extraneous factors already mentioned — was overblown. And, like Screenplaya says, I think Dana is tired of dealing with college drop-outs who call themselves a “journalist” when they want to be taken seriously and “bloggers” when they want to avoid lawsuits.