UFC on Fuel 3 Results: “The Korean Zombie” chokes out Dustin Poirier

Typically when fans find UFC action on a Tuesday night it’s in “recap” form on UFC Tonight and Ultimate Insider. However, this evening Fuel TV abandoned taped material for live television thanks to UFC on Fuel 3 and what a show it was!

The card was headlined by collision between featherweight contenders Dustin Poirier (12-1) and Chan Sung Jung (12-3). Each entered the bout on a streak of impressive performances and could earn a shot at the divisional title with a win. In the end, Jung exited with the victory after an extremely exciting affair seeing him notch a submission in the fourth frame. The finish marked the first time Poirier had been stopped in his career.

Also scheduled for scraps, Donald Cerrone-Jeremy Stephens did their best to live up to Fight of the Night hype based on their fan-friendly approaches inside the Octagon, though ultimately Cerrone outclassed Stephens in stand-up to earn a decision win, while on the opposite end of the entertainment spectrum Ultimate Fighter winner Amir Sadollah took on Wanderlei Silva student Jorge Lopez in a forgettable co-headliner.

Read below for a complete breakdown of UFC on Fuel 3 winners/losers:

Francisco Rivera def. Alex Soto via Unanimous Decision
Johnny Eduardo def. Jeff Curran via Unanimous Decision
Rafael dos Anjos def. Kamal Shalorus via Submission Round 1 (Rear-Naked Choke)
T.J. Grant def. Carlo Prater via Unanimous Decision
Cody McKenzie def. Marcus LeVesseur via Submission Round 1 (Guillotine Choke)
Brad Tavares def. Dongi Yang via Unanimous Decision
Tom Lawlor def. Jason MacDonald via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
Igor Pokrajac def. Fabio Maldonado via Unanimous Decision
Yves Jabouin def. Jeff Hougland via Unanimous Decision
Donald Cerrone def. Jeremy Stephens via Unanimous Decision
Amir Sadollah def. Jorge Lopez via Split Decision
Chan Sung Jung def. Dustin Poirier via Technical Submission Round 4 (D’Arce Choke)

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Dufresne says:

Not a huge lineup, but a lot of times these cards are the ones that really over deliver. Hopefully that’s what we get tonight.

• Dufresne says:

Rivera looked pretty good, but props to Soto for staying in it after getting caught that often. Hopefully Rivera didn’t tire himself out.

• Dufresne says:

Pretty much the same thing as the first round. Solid chin on Soto, but being able to be punched and kicked in the head repeatedly is not going to win him this fight. Good job by Rivera.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t know how Soto didn’t get KO’d. That kid is tough. Rivera needs to work a bit more on his finishing ability, but otherwise that was a great fight Rivera.

• Dufresne says:

Pretty good fights so far. Definitely an eye poke by Curran, but Eduardo got lucky that the ref didn’t dock him a point for trying to stop the fight himself. It would have been a shame if the fight had ended as a draw just because the ref didn’t see the foul.

• Dufresne says:

Very impressive fight by Rafael dos Anjos. I don’t know how Shalorus didn’t go to sleep after that head kick.

Sucks… I no longer have Fuel… Guess “I’ll have to figure that shit out” as DW so nicely put it….bummed, miss Spike Tv/ Versus collabo free and accessible as part of basic HD cable services…Looking forward 2013 year of Bellator! Damn you Zuffa Damn you!

Sorry.

Saved by the bell.

• Dufresne says:

Rece, I’m sure you can find a stream online somewhere. Right now it’s just the facebook fights, so you’ve got a bit of time to find one.

Very True rage blinds my thinking process… Thanks Duf

• Dufresne says:

McKenzie looks like he’s in the best shape I’ve seen him in. But then he got slammed in a whopping 8 seconds.

• Dufresne says:

McKenzie is taking some nasty shots. It’s not looking good for him so far.

• Dufresne says:

How in the world did LeVesseur not see that coming? Good job by McKenzie.

• Dufresne says:

I agree with the judges’ decision, but I can’t believe they gave it to Amir. I thought Lopez would get the nod with his takedowns.

• MCM says:

How fucking awesome is Jung looking!

• MCM says:

GREAT FUCKING FIGHT!

• Dufresne says:

Fight of the night. Amazing showing by the Korean Zombie.

• Lord Faust says:

Very possibly fight of year,

• darth_irritable says:

Damn you Comcast for not carrying this! Damn you!

• Richard Stabone says:

I was not excited for this main event… but, man, that delivered in a huge way. Non-stop action, both guys dished out their fair share, but Zomie looking more & more impressive with each fight.

And Cerrone impressed me. I expected a technical gameplan that would allow him to pick up a decision, but not in that dominating of a fashion. He toyed with Stephens, who is no slouch at all, and I guess the reach was a bigger factor than I expected. But a great rebound performance from Cowboy. I’d love to see a rematch with Diaz, with Cowboy coming out with an approach like he did tonight instead of getting way too caught up in the trash talk & drama leading into the Diaz bout. Won’t happen right away obviously, but hopefully sooner than later.

• Kamakosmo says:

Rece…I do not get Fuel either, but they also put these Fuel shows on ESPN Deportes (at least here on Long Island they do). So, if you don’t mind listening to it in Spanish…..

• Creature says:

If any would like a site to watch the fuel cards or any of the PPV’s that you cant afford to dish out money for like every two weeks (like me) email me at “thecreature28@aol.com” and ill send you the link to the website that is always streaming live MMA events.

• Creature says:

Also, Zombie seriously impressed me.. yet again. If he keeps on improving in between fights at this rate. I can see him being a very legit challenge for Mr. Aldo

• AlphaOmega says:

Lawlor
    Pokrajac
    Jabouin
    Stephens
    Lopez
    Jung

Good night of fights, although I came in at the third round of the Igor fight, ended up going 4 for 6 on my predictions too

• AlphaOmega says:

Also did Amir do something to piss off the UFC brass? Dana didn’t tweet about the fight, they didn’t do a post fight interview with him in the cage, or on the post fight show, and they barely even talked about his fight on the post fight show. He use to be their golden boy there for awhile.

• Lord Faust says:

The crowd was booing so loudly, it was probably for the best they cut away.

• Screenplaya says:

Zombie looked impressive despite clearly tiring as the fight wore on. I guess Zombies are immune to the adage, “Fatigue makes a coward of everyone.” He even seemed to have a ground advantage over a guy who trains Jitsu with Tim Credeur. I guess Crazy Tim taught him how not to use his Jiu-Jitsu in fights. Maybe they had Jorge Gurgel do their game-planning. :)

I thought Amir lost despite the fact that Lopez was dog-tired from the early stages of Round 2. Had Amir kept his distance, I think he would have won legitimately, possibly by some form of stoppage.