Dustin Poirier: “I just care so much, man, I let myself down.”

It’s often easy to forget fighters are people too. Perhaps it’s because Mixed Martial Artists are inherently tough or because cameras tend to focus on the winners’ reactions, but the reality is every single man and woman who takes to the ring is not so different from the folks sitting in the seats outside of their chosen profession. And, like the rest of us, when it comes to having a dream crushed it hurts far more than cuts, bruises, or even broken bones.

In that vein, the pain on Dustin Poirier’s face during a post-fight interview on Fuel TV was not related to the damage he sustained in last night’s exciting main event match-up with Chan Sung Jung but rather the utter despair of coming up short in such an important outing.

“He was just as tough as I expected. I expected a good fight and…I’m just upset with myself,” said an emotional Poirier of his performance. “When it got to those later rounds he hit me with some good shots in the fourth round. I was never completely out of it but whenever came back to realizing what was going on…I was in the D’Arce position. I felt it but I just didn’t defend it right. I’m upset about that.”

“I’m trying not to get emotional,” continued the 23-year old, pausing to take a deep breath and collect himself. “I just care so much, man, I let myself down. I deserved to win. My wife deserved for us to win.”

Fighting back tears as bravely as any adversary he’d faced in the cage, Poirier summed things up on a positive note, concluding, “I made some mistakes but I’m gonna go back to the gym, work on it, and come back and get a ‘W’,” before heading off to handle the agony of defeat in a private setting rather than in front of the world.

Check out the heart-wrenching video below (and grab a Kleenex just to be safe):

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Nothing to be ashamed of. Zombie is in the zone right now and Poirier just got him at the wrong time.

He fought his ass off and just got caught. Against someone not so dialed in He wins that fight the majority of the time.

The 40k extra bonus will help with the bumps and bruises

• Lord Faust says:

He’s 23, and fought an amazing fight. Yeah, losing sucks, but all that fight did was make me respect both guys a lot more.

I also hate the idea of shoving a mic in someone’s face after they 1) lost a fight, 2) are coming down off a massive adrenaline rush. Maybe it’s just me, but that shit bothers me.

• AlphaOmega says:

I agree Lord Faust, especially when they are still in the cage, and the first thing that they ask is what happened, or how do you feel. Two stupidest questions ever to ask after someone lost.

• i think its the perfect time to shove a mic in a persons face. You hear talk all the time about people questioning the realness of fighters and atheletes….there’s no better time to get the honest reaction of someone when their adrenaline is still flowing high and they dont have time to make up a lie.

Now onto Poirier. He has nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to feel bad about other than the loss itself. He fought a great fight and could’ve easily came roaring back to win that fight he just happened to get tagged rocked and put away. He shouldnt beat himself up but just use the pain of his loss to motivate himself to never feel that way again. This kid is a champion in the making and he’ll be back in a big way….like George Zimmern,,,,I guarantee it.

• hindsightufuk says:

that was a great fight and i thought Chan had blown it in the third round, looked like he was gonna get caught any time. awesome fight to end a night that got a little amateur k1 heavy for me.

Superdave, i dont get your George Zimmern reference, are you referring to George She or that racist cunt who shot an unarmed black kid? be nice if you could clear it up for me

• George Zimmer is the owner/ceo/founder of the mens wearhouse here in the states which specializes in suits and men’s apparel at discount prices…..i accidentally tapped the N. His tagline is…”You’re going to like the way you look….I guarantee it.” Hence why I was going with the I guarantee it.
    Who’s George She?

• MCM says:

I agree with everyone else, Dustin has nothing to be ashamed of. Most fighters would have tapped to one of those triangles or armbars. Poirier not only survived them, but came back to win the next round. He had a good game plan and it’s a toss up on who would win in a rematch. Dustin just got caught. It happens to every fighter once or twice and it happened here. I don’t think there was anything he could have done differently and he shouldn’t hang his head for delivering the FOTY so far.

• hindsightufuk says:

thanks Superdave, George She was a Chinese activist, George Zimmerman was the racist motherfucker who shot Trayvon Martin

• Kamakosmo says:

For someone with a SN of ‘hindsight’, you sure have already figured out exactly what happened that night.
    Using ur SN, you should be taking back YOUR racist statement. Gangbanger-wannabe went up to this guy and beat him down. Guy took his legally owned gun and shot him dead. By Florida law, he was in the right (which…I disagree with and hope the law is changed).
    Using ur SN, you should see that Zimmerman was, however oddly, doing his job. Was following a guy with a hoodie (ummm, Florida sure is cold) in an area that has had recent break in’s. Eventually, went back to his truck. Mr. Tough guy (I just love the media and there continued use of this kids 12 year old pic…not the 17 yr old gangstar pic..which is what this guy was) decided he was gonna go beat this man down. And paid the ultimate horrible price.
    But, to call him racist based on what the liberal media has incorrectly told you (dude, stop allowing them to pull you around like a puppy dog) is in total contradiction of your screename.
    Grow up.

• hindsightufuk says:

guess i’m just so blinded by the media hey, guess i havent looked into this whole situtaion at all, guess i havent looked up on the history of George Zimmerman, guess i havent read all the pro George Zimmerman media and graffitti that has sprung up in support of him since the shooting, guess it had nothing to do with race, guess its true that racism really isnt as prevelent as us dumb folk seem to think it is, guess its just that chip on my should huh? guess everything said in support of Zimmerman is true and everything said in support of Trayvon is just that racially hyped up bullshit, guess all the varying witness statements can be scrapped if they are in favor of Trayvon, guess all the phone transcripts between Zimmerman and the cops can all be taken in his favor, i guess you know for sure that trayvon was attacking and not defending himself, guess white folks in Florida dont wear hoodies, guess if white folks did wear hoodies in Florida they would be followed too, guess the millions of people around the world who dont believe everything is just fucking rosey need to grow the fuck up too

thanks for your time and post Kamakosmo, always good to see the opposing side of a story

• hindsightufuk says:

and you know what, i did have too liberal a use of the word racist. it sure seems racially motivated, but hey, you know for sure it wasnt right?
    i should have just said the motherfucker who shot Trayvon Martin

• Kamakosmo says:

You’re welcome! Have a great day my friend.

“you know for sure it wasnt right?”

Just like you know for sure it was?

• hindsightufuk says:

no i dont, but at no point did throw my toys out of my pram and tell someone to grow up because i view the world in a different shade of red.
    you understand that a lot of folks have different opinions? and that because you have one and i have another doesnt mean mine is wrong?
    and that me calling that murdering cunt (my opnion) a racist is what helps me deal with the situation, just as assuming that the black kid was a gangbanger wannabe because of a couple of pictues of him throwing up lame ass gang signs on facebook satisfies your justifying needs?

• Kamakosmo says:

If simplifying the entire situation by telling yourself this man just went out and hunted down a black kid for the sole reason of gunning down a ni**er (very sad on your part), fine. You obviously made up your mind the second the stroy was broke.
    And it’s a lot easier for me to assume this kid was a gangbanger, or wannabe gangsta, which is probably more dangerous, due to his pics…..
    More so than your assumption this guy is a out and out racist for killing a kid who happened to be black. There were no pics of him with a white pointy hood on his facebook page, now were there?

• Kamakosmo says:

Now I’m gonna end this conversation before Brendhan gets pissed and boots us.

• hindsightufuk says:

the argument for a lot of people is that this was a racially motivated killing. The fact is this Zimmerman guy saw a black kid ‘looking dodgy’, and was that motivation enough to warrant following, chasing, confronting and eventually killing him. you said yourself the kid was wearing a hoodie, so he must be a gangbanger right? is there a possibility that if Trayvon was a white kid who was hanging around would he have got the same treatment or possibly ignored? you dont know what went on in zimmermans head, but judging by your use of the N word maybe you understand his pysche more than me? oh wait you used **** to censor the word, well thats ok then, work away.
    and when Zimmerman contacted police and was told to not pursue the kid as he was running away why did he do so.
    the argument from the ‘ni**ers’ was that Trayvion made a call to his girlfriend and told her that some guy was following him, and began to run home, confronting the guy when he finally caught up with him.

neither of us know which is true, but we’ve taken different sides, just interesting to see how the arguments are made. good to see peoples true persona

• hindsightufuk says:

i forget we’re not allowed to talk about anything non MMA related, like being at fucking sunday school

• Kamakosmo says:

” confronting the guy when he finally caught up with him.”

Wow, for someone who posts like he knows every detail to this story, you couldn’t be more incorrect. Zimmerman DID eventually stop following him and went back to his truck. Martin decided he wanted to be a tough guy, ran back and found Zimmerman at his truck and confronted him. He beat the snot out of Zimmerman…then, the rest we all know.

Know the facts before you post my friend.

Now, by me having a differing point of view than yours, you have decided that now I am a racist. Amazing

“good to see peoples true persona”….As I see yours now.

• Lord Faust says:

Are we seriously talking about the Zimmerman case on fucking MMA site?

C’mon….

• hindsightufuk says:

i dont assume you’re a racist, but i noticed you have no problem using the N word. Maybe you’re just comfortable like that, maybe you’re a black man, who knows, but putting ** in the middle doesnt lessen the impact, or power of the word

• Kamakosmo says:

C*nt is a nice word as well (your words). It matters none what the color of my skin is. It’s just a six letter word.
    In my opinion, that is exactly what you think Zimmerman thought when he went out that night, and that is the only reason why I used that word in the post.
    Nice deflecting of the facts though. I’m proving you wrong so you attack me….typical approach used by those who can’t keep up.

• hindsightufuk says:

thats funny man, that your proving me wrong.
    i’m not trying to pretend i know everything for sure, simply trying to get you to realise that there are a very large number of people who are not persuaded to believe the opinion that you have.
    it is you who is stating facts, if you read my posts i am actually offering opinions of what other people are concerned with in this case. at no point do i think i am stating facts, just sharing views.

and i’m not attacking you, i feel like shit today, i have no energy to attack, just dont like to see people use the N word, and it isnt just 6 letters man, it never will be

• hindsightufuk says:

as neither of us are willing to let the other have the last word i’ll be gone, my head hurts too today.
    been good though man, i like to discuss things like this, and trust me i’m not ignorant enough to dismiss you as a racist even if thats what you have garnered from my thoughts on here.

peace and fish grease

• Kamakosmo says:

To me it is. I put no extra connotation to it then I would the word sandwich. Putting emphasis on how bad and taboo it is, will only highlight it more and cause it to be a very sensitive, stingy word. My goal by trying to lessen the harshness of it is awesome….delete it from the English language. The less it is stressed, the less it is used, and it will hopefully go by the wayside of other non-used English words, such as ‘betwixt’, ‘thereinto’, and perhaps ‘zounds’.
    You are more of an emotional person than me, and there is nothing wrong with that. We are equals that just think differently. But you and anyone else here would be well served having me on a jury if ever needed.
    Do I believe that Zimmerman murdered this kid? Yes. Do I believe he hunted him down with the intent of killing him? No. Do I believe that if the laws were changed (f’n Florida is so ass backwards) would this kid still be alive? Yes. Here in NY it is extremely difficult to get a concealed weapons permit. Especially compared to Florida. Evidently they hand them out like flyers to strip clubs. My point is, I truly think this Zimmerman was/is a law abiding citizen. And if the Laws made it illegal for just about anyone to carry a gun, he would have abided by them. Then, he would have never had a gun on him that day.

Zimmerman was a Neighborhood watch Nut. He took it waaaay too overboard. On that day, he would have followed anyone walking around in a hoodie (again, my opinion). He was told to stop pursuing this individual. Initially he ignored these orders, then eventually complied. Story should be over. But Martin felt like he was being disrespected and decided to go show this guy who the man in is.

The REAL backlash from this story was how the police handled it. And after the facts came out, they followed the laws.

Enter new shiny D.A. This is why we have a trial today.

Most likely, he will be acquitted of the most serious charges, much to your dismay. But by law he should. Again, I am not in agreement with these laws, but they are what they are.

• hindsightufuk says:

nice final words, see i can relate to what you said because you’re not instantly telling me to grow up or some other shit because i think differently. a post like that makes me question my own opinion and consider the alternatives moreso than when i get my back up because of the tone of your first couple posts. its been good

i’ve indavertantly had the last word though, and i was determined not to

• Brendhan Conlan says:

When have I ever treated the comments section like “Sunday School”? lol

• AlphaOmega says:

So how about that Dusin Poirier huh? Good fighter and stuff..to bad he got caught with that last uppdercut. I do want to mention on topic, that when Jung had him in the clinch and was raining down knees, and then Poirier took him down and Jung then flipped all the way over into top position..that was awesome.

• AlphaOmega says:

Realized I misspelled uppercut right as soon as I hit submit..need an edit button.

• Richard Stabone says:

I haven’t followed the Zimmerman case super close cuz the exploitation of tragic events like this by certain “leaders” who are simply pushing their divisive agenda… well, it’s disgusting & becomes completely counterproductive.

But anyway, I read this article a while ago and found it to be an interesting & fair assessment of a very complicated ordeal.

• Just to chime in(and I was gonna leave this alone) Im not sure what the facts are on the zimmerman/martin case….we’ve heard both that Trayvon attacked Zimmerman after being followed and after mounting him and beating his head into the ground Zimmerman shot him(which I DO agree with IF that’s the case. ) Ive also heard that it was Zimmerman who tackled Trayvon and initiated the scrap and then shot him dead. Which I dont agree with.

What I DONT appreciate is the fact that they have turned it into a media circus portraying Trayvon as an innocent kid who was small and defenseless when the fact remains that Trayvon was a 6’3 beast who had a minor violent criminal record, while Zimmerman was a hot blooded idiot who also has a past record of violence. I also didnt like the use of turning Zimmerman into a “WHITE hispanic”. in order to further fuel the racial side of the case. Im tired of white people being demonized for something that’s suppossedly in our past. Even if its racially motivated shouldnt the crime just be a man murdering another man or in this case a minor? what about the self defense side of things? Either way, I hope the facts come out completely and that the jury isnt either stocked with people who just want to see George Z burn OR his fathers(a judge) friends and family who just want him to get off.