Mark Hunt out, Lavar Johnson in for UFC 146 bout with Stefan Struve

Just when it appeared they were in the clear the UFC has been forced to make another adjustment to Memorial Day Weekend’s UFC 146 lineup. After Alistair Overeem‘s suspension already caused changes from the top of the card down, an injury to Mark Hunt has forced another replacement to be made, allowing Lavar Johnson to step in on short notice.

“I heard last night there was a chance I could get this fight and I accepted right away,” said Johnson in an interview with UFC.com. “You don’t get chances like this too much in life, so when you are lucky, you got to make the most of it. I took one week off after the Pat Barry fight and then went back to the gym. I used to have some drinks, get some BBQ in my belly, and get a little out of shape right after a fight. But I feel that I am now at a level where I need to be in shape all the time, so I stayed in shape and I can now seize this chance.”

In his last appearance, Johnson (17-5) scored his second consecutive UFC knockout in two UFC fights by dropping Barry. The victory came on the heels of his finish of the always-tough Joey Beltran.

Struve (23-5) has also won two straight since a loss to Travis Browne, defeating Dave Herman as well as Barry.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Not really a fan of Johnson & I don’t think his skillset will take him very far but I respect his hustle.

• Lord Faust says:

I agree he’s limited, but damn is he a fun big man to watch. I have nothing but respect for a dude who can just turn on such savagery like a switch.

• darth_irritable says:

Have you guys seen how lean hunt was looking?

Holy crap – I think I saw an ab!

Wow Hunt does look in good shape… Wonder what kind of injury he has…?
    Hopefully he will maintain this physique while he’s in the shelf… If Johnson somehow gets a win here I’d like to see him and Super Samoan get together and bang.

• AlphaOmega says:

He didn’t say what injury on twitter, just that he wishes he could say sorry but that things happen, and that he’ll be back better in no time.

• MCM says:

@darth-irritable. Hunt looks like Kimo in that picture. I smell photoshop.

I actually think this is a worse fight for Struve than the Hunt match up. Hunt can KO anyone and anytime and Struve doesn’t have the worlds best chin, but he does have a very good ground game. I though Struve was probably gonna submit Hunt in the first or second.
    Johnson’s ground game may not be as good as Sturves but it’s a lot better than Hunt’s and he’s a lot harder to take down.
    I really wanna see Stefan be the badass world beater I know he can be, but they guy just can’t seam to put it together. I was 60-40 in favor of Struve v Hunt and am now 60-40 in favor of Johnson v Struve.

Have I ever said that I’m loving the HW division these days. These sorts of analysis weren’t even possible a few years ago.

• Richard Stabone says:

Struve has won 4 outta 5 fights, with the lone loss coming to undefeated Travis Browne. And he just turned 24 a few months ago. I think his career is on a pretty nice path and I’m still always curious to see this guy improve/evolve each time out.

But I agree this is probably a tougher matchup for him than Hunt, and should make for a better fight. I’m not sure how great of shape Hunt was or wasn’t in but I’d rather see the younger banger Big Johnson go at it with Struve. Not exactly going out on a limb here but I’ll predict it ends by either Johnson KO or Struve submission… just a matter of who gets who first. If I have to pick it’d be Struve.

• Lord Faust says:

It just kills me to see a heavyweight with Struve’s height fight like he has the reach of Pat Barry.

• AlphaOmega says:

Agreed he doesn’t use his reach near like he should