Chael Sonnen: “I don’t want his autograph. I want to spit on him.”

In case you hadn’t heard, UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen (27-11-1) is not too fond of divisional champion Anderson Silva (31-4). Whether discussing the Brazilian’s style or substance, Sonnen rarely has anything nice say about Silva and is often happy to say it. However, when it comes to his intense dislike of “The Spider” it turns out Sonnen’s beef is not necessarily a personal one but rather a matter of professional status.

“I don’t want his autograph. I want to spit on him. I want everything that he has. I’m jealous and I’m envious. And I would never apologize for that,” explained Sonnen of Silva in a recent interview with MMA: 30. “There can only be one champion, and you have to fight it out. He’s not gonna give it up. I’m not going to give it up. We’re going to have to fight this thing out and figure it out like men.”

The two talented 185ers will settle their score on July 7 at UFC 148. The meeting will mark the second time the two have fought with the first involving Silva’s infamous submission of Sonnen in the fight’s final few minutes after clearly losing the four previous frames.

Sonnen expects a different result this time around, and not just because he plans to win but also because he’ll be entering the match-up with a new nugget of knowledge. According to Sonnen, who explained away the loss as only he could, he simply didn’t realize tapping in the last round of a title-fight ended the entire affair rather than cost him a single stanza.

“If anyone had explained to me that that stops the fight in its entirety, I would not have tapped. … I’d never been in a five round fight, I just didn’t know,” said a stone-faced Sonnen, stating he was under the impression he would go home with the belt based on a 4-1 score.

Silva has fought twice since their original outing, picking up a pair of stoppages against Vitor Belfort and Yushin Okami. Comparably, Sonnen is also 2-0 with a submission of Brian Stann and razor-thin decision over Michael Bisping.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• darth_irritable says:

I’m actually beginning to like Sonnen. He’s a dick, but his claims are now so ridiculous, I have to believe he’s self aware, and doing this on purpose.

Either that, or Corky has started fighting for UFC gold.

• Lord Faust says:

Sonnen needs to wear a trollface mask at the weigh-ins. If he did that, I’d worship him for the rest of his career.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

No one sells a fight better than Sonnen. His claims are insane even by pro wrestling standards but, that’s the point I’m sure.

He doesn’t say anything by accident. I hope he wins cause the post fight trash talking would be nothing short of epic.

• YetiLee says:

I hope he wins as well, but I bet if he loses he will leave the UFC and go to the WWE. After all the trash talk he has mad about Silva he will have no choice but to walk away if he can’t beat him, but he would make millions in the WWE because that boy sure can talk. I haven’t watched wrestling in years but I would start if/when Sonnen gives it a shot.

• MickeyC says:

He, Brock, & Tito could start their own little WWE villan group. I think Im gona be sick.

• YetiLee says:

You might be sick, but you know you would watch.

• THEGUNNER says:

I curious to see his next move if he loses again.

• Lord Faust says:

Wow, some Sonnen haters are spamming the thumbs-down. C’mon, we all know what Silva’s going to do to him — it ain’t gonna be pretty. Sit back and enjoy the show.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Anderson Silva is going to be taken down and dominated just he was EVERY SINGLE TIME he has been taken down in the past. Lutter, Newton, Henderson, Sonnen and others have all taken rds off Silva by taking him down and dominating him. A.Silva has ALWAYS struggled to stop takedowns from wrestlers and he has ALWAYS struggled to get back up. It has not changed. A.Silva is a very, very good fighter but he has had a lucky career. Fighters have stood with him (why is a mystery) or have butt scooted (see Maia and Leites) or retired hurt (see Cote) or been very poor (see Forrest, Leben, Irvin and Belfort). He is good but not that good. Sonnen via TKO rd 4.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

P.S. I hate Sonnen but he is going to win.

• Sykotick says:

Wtf?! Lutter?? What round did he take from Silva?!
    And what about Okami, he is a very good wrestler and he couldn’t take Anderson down.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Seriously Sykotik, if you cant remember or didnt see Lutter vs Silva have a look for it. From what I can recall Anderson nearly had the ref stop it as Lutter mounted him and rained the punches down.

• Lord Faust says:

No, Lutter got a decent takedown and didn’t do a whole lot. He faded, and was tapped by elbow strikes in the same triangle position he tapped Sonnen in — minus the elbows.

• Lord Faust says:

Until Hendo was able to hold Anderson down — and little else — Lutter was the only one who seemed to pose any kind of threat. Hendo did more to Silva than Lutter did, i.e. not a whole lot.

The fact two guys are being celebrated for taking a round from the most dominant champion in UFC history is not exactly a stunning indictment against The Spider. He still finished every person who has “threatened” him with wrestling, so it’s a valid point — but not a very convincing one.

• Sykotick says:

I rewatched the fight and yes you are right, he did take the 1st but how can you say he will get taken down and dominated like he does with every wrestler he fights when up until sonnen (in the UFC mind you) no wrestler had taken him past the 2nd. Hendo was thought to be the guy and got tapped in the second. Lutter wrestled him down and got tapped in the second. Okami, a wrestler got tapped in the second. Now, Sonnen wrestled him down and got tapped in the fifth.
    Moral of the story?? If you’re a wrestler, you’re tapping.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No lord F that was rd 2 where Lutter took him down AGAIN. In rd 1 he mounted and rained punches down.
    Yes A.Silva is a true champion but seriously Lutter, Leites, Leben, Cote, Maia, Irvin!!!!? You complain about Fedor padding his career but these guys have all been dropped, had to drop down a weight, been shit or disgraced. His big wins for me were Hendo, Franklin and Sonnen and….Belfort maybe. He has been lucky to not have faced Filho, Jacare, Mousasi and a few others of his era that would have given him real probs imo. There is no doubt he is a great but he isnt the god he is made out to be.
    LF get your facts right if trying to correct me. Lutter won rd 1 but lost in rd 2. Carlos Newton dominated Silva for about 7 mins before being stood up and Silva had already lost 4 fights before the UFC. In a way you are right, nobody was really a threat, just like Leites, Maia, Leben, Forrest, Cote, Irvin. They DIDNT even threaten him. Sonnen, Hendo, Lutter and Newton took the fight to Silva.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sykotik Okami didnt get subbed and isnt a wrestler. Hendo got rocked on the feet and his back taken. Lutter gassed becuz he missed weight and was not 100%. Carlos got KOed after being stood up. Sonnen took Silva down at will for 4 and 1/2 rds and dominated him.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

See heres the thing

“Rd 1 becuz in rd 2 he gassed and lost. He took Silva down and mounted him. He outstruck him and won the rd easily. Okami attempted 1 TD in the 2nd entire fight. In their first fight Okami took him down.”

This was given 4 thumbs down. In the past when this site had more bloggers it would have been hidden through thumbs down prolly but why. ITS FUCKING TRUE. I hate how people deny reality.