Jon Jones arrested on DUI charges after crashing Bentley

Light heavyweight Jon Jones found himself locked in a cage early this morning though not the kind he’s accustomed to spending time in as an incredibly successful Mixed Martial Artist. The 24-year old UFC champion was arrested in New York after crashing his Bentley into a pole at approximately 5:00 AM EST and showing signs of driving under the influence.

TMZ Sports was first to report the story where it was also revealed Jones’ mother bailed him out of jail shortly after his incarceration. He is not believed to have suffered any injuries in the accident.

“I can confirm that Jon Jones was arrested early this morning on suspicion of DUI,” wrote manager Malki Kawa in a prepared statement to media. “While the facts of this situation are still being gathered and situated, First Round Management fully supports Jon and we are asking for fans and media to respect the privacy of Jon and his family during this time.”

No comment has been issued by Jones at this point in time.

Jones is currently scheduled to face Dan Henderson at UFC 151 in Las Vegas on September 1. It seems unlikely the bout will be changed or he will endure any internal punishment from the UFC based on the organization’s handling of similar situations.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

Well at least it wasn’t dana bailing him out this time. I wonder if the UFC will do the same thing with Pearson and say that he will face no backlash and they will give him the help he needs..and then make him a TUF coach.

• AlphaOmega says:

By the way that first sentence shouldn’t read like Dana has bailed Jones out before, just that at least its not Dana bailing out one of his fighters again.

• MCM says:

“It is unlikely the bout will be changed or he will endure any internal punishment from the UFC based on the organization’s handling of similar situations.”

When has the UFC had to handle a similar situation with one of it’s title holders and the only fighter it sponsors? I think there is cause for a stricter punishment simply because of his standing within the organization than against a fighter like Pearson. Not that I think anything will happen.

• RicM says:

I lost 2 family members to an individual who was DUI……….any respect I had for Jones is gone, and I have NO sympathy for ANYONE who gets busted for such behavior….foolishness……

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 2

• MCM says:

RicM – someone once said that driving while intoxicated is no different than walking down the street randomly firing a gun. I absolutely agree.
    I’m not saying that people that drink and drive are bad people, but it is a plainly stupid action that is one hundred percent avoidable.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 0

• RicM says:

….Amen, MCM…….totally agree with ya…..I just hope someone as young as Jones,with all his potential, will actually learn from this and not repeat …….

• AlphaOmega says:

Wonder if he thought a cab fare was to much..

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 0

Who drives a Bentley drunk? (aside from paparazzi princesses like Paris & Lindsey) If you have that kind of money call a cab or pay someone in your entourage to be a sober driver for the night. This will effect jones outside the cage more then inside

• Brendhan Conlan says:

It always baffles me when a millionaire with a lot on the line to lose makes a decision like driving drunk instead of calling a cab.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1

I actually meant to give you a thumbs up Brendhan but big fingers on the dam iPhone … Sorry.

• JabCrossHook says:

The most hilarious part of the whole situation is that Jon Jones told USA Today that he would never be involved in anything like DUI or etc. I wonder if his legs are long enough to stick his foot in his mouth…

epic lulz

Move over Reem Jon Jones is going to be in the next LMFAO video

• Niv says:

RichM, sorry to hear about losing family members as I too lost a family member years ago to a drunk driver.

It’s really a shame that a young guy with millions and appears to have his head on straight can allow this to happen. It really shows how immature Jones really is still.

I’m glad nobody was hurt and I hope this serves as a serious wake up call to Mr. Jones, this could have been tragic on so many levels.

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• Dr.Stoppage says:

DWI= Driving While Intoxicated
    DUI= Driving Under the Influence

While Intoxicated generally refers to booze, can Under the Influence refer to other substances?
    I’m just playing a little armchair attourney here.