Jon Jones: “I screwed up, big time.”

UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones has released a detailed statement on his recent arrest for suspicion of DUI, shedding some light on his mindset in the wake of his one-car accident from this past weekend instead of leaving things up to interpretation. While the 24-year old champion did not speak about the specifics surrounding the actual crash his tone was certainly apologetic and laced with humility based on the support his fanbase has shown thus far throughout the ordeal.

“Man I haven’t added anyone new to my Facebook page in like three years and right now I’m so glad that I haven’t,” wrote Jones on the popular social networking outlet. “It has literally been sickening to have so many people try to kick me while I’m down. At the same time, I totally understand – I gave them the leeway to. I screwed up, big time. Just needed to say thank you to all you guys for being amazing friends/supporters.”

“Always having to deal with so many critics, haters and fickle MMA fans, I almost forgot how strong of a home base I had (607 and people that knew me before I was a champion fighter),” he continued. “Although the hell that will come with this hasn’t even started yet, I want you guys to know how much better you’ve all made me feel, not only about this situation but about life, everything. It’s good to feel that people are there and care. With that being said, I felt I should apologize to you first.”

“I’m truly sorry to those of you that I may have embarrassed in any way, to those of you with kids that I may have let down. I will prove to them as well as to myself that no matter what is happening in life, we can always work our way back and make things even better than before,” Jones concluded. “Reading you guys’ uplifting comments was a great reminder for me to not give up on who I am or all the hateful people. I’m not gonna allow this situation to outweigh the positive. I love you guys right back and I promise to make things right.”

Jones was booked Saturday morning at approximately 5:00 AM EST in an area near his New York home after crashing his Bentley into a utility pole and showing signs of intoxication at the scene. Little is known at this point regarding future punishment from the State or his bosses at the UFC.

Currently “Bones” is scheduled to defend his divisional title against Dan Henderson at UFC 151.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Now that a champ whom lives in the state was popped for DUI…New York politicians, namely Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, will have some extra ammo around this time next year when pro mma is on the table for legalization/ sanctioning in new york state…Just another con to add the banter when addressing pols that are on the fence about the sport being legal.

• MCM says:

So, one sentence saying he’s sorry and three paragraphs saying people hate him but he’s staying positive. Good for you Jon, I was so worried that you might have taken this whole thing the wrong way. Here’s an idea, when you go to bed at night, say to yourself “Hey, I didn’t kill anybodies child today.” Happy thoughts Jon, it’s the key to staying positive.

for the record, I was a hater long before this incident. And you can pretty much expect that I’m gonna be negative in every Jon Jones story from here on out. So if ya’ll disagree with me, that’s cool, just go ahead and skip the comment if you see I’ve posted in a Jones story.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 5

• climbarock says:

Perhaps it’s not PC, but I can’t get myself to care too much about all this. Sure, drunk driving is dumb and dangerous. Stupid move by Jon Jones. He’s caused himself some embarrassment and a legal headache. If some tragedy had taken place, I’m get riled up, but some dumbass just got drunk and smacked up his car. I try to deal with reality, not hypotheticals.

• Lord Faust says:

No respect for DUI. None. I don’t even drive because, despite having the sense to not drive while drunk, I know I’m not a good personality to have behind the wheel. People who cannot respect a car for what it is — i.e. not much different than a guided missile with a steering wheel — are beneath my contempt.

Jones may be feeling the pressure of celebrity, but he’s already learned the art of the non-apology apology.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Where do you guys buy the glass for your houses?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 8

The news of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ arrest for driving while intoxicated after slamming his Bentley into a utility pole in Binghamton, N.Y., has been widely publicized this weekend. However, the incident is not the first time Jones has found himself in handcuffs after getting behind the wheel while under the influence.

The MMA Corner has learned that Jones was arrested and charged in Albuquerque, N.M., late last year on similar charges. The MMA Corner has confirmed the details of the arrest via the Bernalillo Metro Court database and is in the process of obtaining the police report for the incident.

Jones, an Ithaca, N.Y., resident who trains in Albuquerque under the tutelage of Greg Jackson, was arrested at 3:05 a.m. on Nov. 24, 2011 in Albuquerque. However, charges were not filed until Dec. 8, 2011. Jones faced two charges in criminal court, the first being “driving on a revoked license” (later amended to “driving on suspended license”) and the second, “sliding or losing traction.” There was a criminal trial held where both counts were dismissed, effectively closing the case on March 8, 2012.

– Themmacorner.com

• MCM says:

ebay.

• THEGUNNER says:

Dui is one thing but partying til 5 while your wife & kids are asleep is not how a real man rolls. His mom bailed him out because nobady else cared. Stop putting your church and fam on prime times if your not with them when it counts. Everyone makes mistakes. I would rather stay in jail than see my wife after ive been doing all the wrong things.

• Lord Faust says:

Where do you guys buy the glass for your houses?

I own my house. It’s made of brick.

I also don’t drive drunk, and have the phone # for two cab companies in my cellphone regardless — to answer your rhetorical question more specifically.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Read that MMA Corner piece. Seems like a non-story though I’m very interested in hearing why his license was revoked/suspended prior to the 2011 accident.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 0

It’s most likely a non story because small town politics played a role…. he didn’t get charged for like a week and a half later? Yeah I wonder why…. there’s definately more to it… There is reports the incident took place outside of a strip club.

• THEGUNNER says:

A real family man can call his wife any time of the night and she will fly over there to assist. Ive had a dui in 05 its the last time ive gotten in any trouble or plan to. Ill walk 5 miles to get home before I drive. I also own my own house and cant afford to let my family down with foolish mistakes. Bones can get light of this situation if it was a mistake and not due to other problems.good luck.

• fanoftna33 says:

He made a mistake that a LOT of us have made in the past, he didnt hurt anybody, he didnt kill anybody, and now with all the publicity around this I hope he will never do this again.

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah, the big upside is we’re calling him out for smoking utility pole. That said, this does not appear to be a first-time thing.

Sorry guys, but anyone who gets a Bible verse tattoo’ed on their body gets extra scrutiny when it comes to their moral failings. I’m that kind of guy.

Any body who says they aren’t the type to get popped for DUI or anything like that then does get arrested for DUI should expect to be tar n feathered in the court of public opinion…

I love the comments not only here but other sites as well about JJ not killing anybody so it’s pretty much no harm no foul?!?! Tell that to the ppl that have lost family members to repeat DWI/DUI offenders and ask them What they think of any intoxicated driver regardless of the level of crime they commit.

• fanoftna33 says:

My comment wasnt the no harm no foul type it was more he got lucky this time and hopefully he learns to never do this type of thing again.

• fanoftna33 says:

But glad you love the comments.

• fitfreak says:

Speaking of the previous charges here. “sliding or losing traction”. What’s that about? Maybe he just isn’t a good driver? And what did he do to have his license revoked? That means taken away for good, right? Much worse than a suspension.

As for the whole DWI thing, maybe he just needed to be humbled, and he’ll be better because of this. At least no one was hurt.

• Well…we knew he had to make a publicity statement. Personally I think he should serve some jail time and have to pay for the pole, but past that, Im just relieved he didnt hit anyone and hurt anyone else in the process. Drunk driving is a very serious issue to me as I lost an aunt who i never got to meet and a close friend my junior year in high school to such stupid behavior.
    Take his liscence toss him in the pokey for awhile, and make him pay….just like anyone else.

• Angry Mike says:

• Kamakosmo says:

“This isn’t close to the whole story. What they’re leaving out is that when the cops arrived, Jones was dancing on the pole, naked and tweaking his nipples and calling Rashad’s name.”

Been there…done that, brother!

• Angry Mike says: