Josh Barnett not done with Strikeforce after all

When heavyweight Josh Barnett came up short against Daniel Cormier this past Saturday night at the Strikeforce Grand Prix Final it left fans wondering where “The Warmaster” would fight next considering the state of Strikeforce’s roster. Prior to the match-up it had been stated the Grand Prix champion would compete in a final one-off outing before the company completely closed the division’s door, implying the loser – Barnett as it turned out – would either follow his peers into the UFC or be left to test free agency.

However, it appears neither will be the case, as Barnett will in fact fight one more time for Strikeforce before addressing his future beyond the promotion.

According to a report from USA Today citing Zuffa officials, Strikeforce has opted to keep Barnett around for a single scrap similarly to Cormier’s handling. Considering Barnett and Cormier are the final two heavyweights signed to Strikeforce the news also indicates talent will be brought in from outside the organization.

Barnett’s loss to Cormier snapped an eight-fight winning streak for the 34-year old. The 31-6 veteran is considered to be Top 5 talent and holds past victories over a number of notable competitors including Sergei Kharitonov, Jeff Monson, Randy Couture, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Currently Barnett is out for an undetermined period of time up to six months after breaking his hand in the opening round of action against Cormier.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• Lord Faust says:

Who is left, not signed to the UFC, for him to face? Or is there a big assumption that after the all-heavyweight PPV, that some guys will be cut and picked up on the rebound?

• fitfreak says:

I think they will have to bring over a couple of UFC fighters to finish this.

• Lord Faust says:

Either that, or some Bellator scrub-outs. (Then again, considering the heavyweight jinx that Rebney and co. have been dealing with, maybe they’re better off not touching that, haha.)

• MCM says:

Didn’t Dana say that they were disbanding the HW division in SF? I strongly doubt they will bring over any UFC fighters. There are still a few good HW’s out there. Fedor comes to mind as the most likely to face Cormier, but I don’t think he’ll get the nod as he costs too much. But Todd Dufee and Mike Hayes are impressive looking fighters that SF could help sell a card on. And if they at least look impressive they could add (re add) to the growing UFC roster.

• Lord Faust says:

Personally, I would love to see Barnett fight Fedor. It won’t be as potentially magical as when they were supposed to battle at Afflication’s last show, but I think those guys would put on a fucking amazing battle.

• Lord Faust says:

That said, Fedor’s management will price him out of the discussion. You can almost guarantee it.

• MCM says:

I’d like to see that too, but then who would they get to fight DC? I actually think Coker might try to bring in Timmmayy to face Barnett.

• Lord Faust says:

I hope not. I’m pretty sure that would be the easiest money Barnett’s ever made.

That said, you named basically every other name HW not signed to UFC or Bellator.

• Lord Faust says:

Ugh, misread. Timmay / Cormier would also be pretty lopsided; I think DC would either KO him or TKO him after a rag-dolling.

(Seriously, that Hulk Hogan style body slam on Barnett was INSANE. I can only imagine how much DC can dead-lift.)

• MCM says:

no, you read right. I said Timmay/Barnett.
    Tim still has a pretty good sprawl, and when he’s in shape (assuming he can get in shape), he’s still a pretty good striker. I think him and Barnett would be pretty competitive until it hit the mat. If Tim were to train with someone like Marty Morgan for 6 months, I think he could really turn his career around. He just doesn’t have the heart (or brains) to take his job seriously.

• Lord Faust says:

Timmay is usually in shape when he fights at heavyweight. He lets himself go for those super heavyweight debacles, though.

Dont get it twisted fellas its Business As Usual….Bob Sapp & James Thompson ate being mailed contracts as we speak. ;)

• Lord Faust says:

Update: Bob Sapp tapped to a papercut he received upon opening the bout agreement.

• MCM says:

HA!

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Why not just have a rematch? It wasn’t a horrible fight and fixes the issue of each guy having one more fight and each guy having to be on the shelf due to hand issues.

• trupert says:

I agree with what y’all are saying. I’d still like to see Dana ‘punish’ Overeem and make him fight Cormier. His suspension will be up about the same time Cormier’s hand heals up and trains on it.
    And even though M-1 would more than likely price him out, I think a Barnett vs Fedor Affliction make-up match would be good.
    I think I heard Kharitonov had to scratch from his next fight but if not, the winner of Kharitonov vs Tony Lopez might be good for Cormier if the above doesn’t work out. It would be the highest ranked non-Zuffa or Bellator fighter left.
    Going with that theme, the winner of DJ Linderman vs Mike Hayes could fight Barnett.

Not sure what ProElite’s status is but I’d juice out some ‘name recognized’ people and do:
    Arlovski vs Monson
    Tim Sylvia vs Eddie Sanchez

winners fight each other, then that winner could probably parlay that win streak into something more lucrative like a 1 or 2 fight deal with UFC.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I wonder what it would take to entice Lesnar out of retirement, even for just one fight?
    Lesnar vs. Barnett has a nice ring to it.

• Lord Faust says:

I doubt he would do it, and he shouldn’t. I’ve said it several times but it bears repeating: diverticulitis ended his MMA career, it just took two fights for him to accept that.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I’ m just thinking that he came back once already, albeit for a short period of time, and he still performs( yah I know it’s a limited WWE schedule, but he still has the bug).
    It’s hard for a competitor to give up competing and with enough time off , plus proper motivation($$$$) the idea of fighting a cagey vet like Barnett might appeal to him.
    One hurdle would be the timing though.
    Barnett will likely fight before the end of the world,where as Lesnar would probably need at least til 2013 before he’d be ready to go.

Sure it’s out there,but a man can dream ,right?

• Lord Faust says:

Dream away!

I think he’s tied up until Wrestlemania next year anyway. (I seem to recall a report that his deal included a title shot at Wrestlemania. I can’t confirm that; I don’t even know where to go for wrestling news anymore. The details of his deal had me wondering if he wouldn’t get shanked in the locker room — it seemed pretty sweet.)