Randy Couture thinks Brock Lesnar should be in UFC Hall of Fame

The UFC Hall of Fame currently has eight members with each individual having made a unique impact on the organization and MMA in general. As the sport progresses and fighters age the elite fraternity will undoubtedly grow. In fact, Tito Ortiz and B.J. Penn have already been linked to future inductions by UFC President Dana White. However, there’s another man who has merited discussion on whether or not he deserves to join the group – Brock Lesnar.

Lesnar only fought for the UFC seven times but arguably did as much in his abbreviated career as most do with twice his in-ring appearances. Based on those accomplishments, as well as the mainstream interest he merited, even Hall of Famer Randy Couture has jumped on the Lesnar bandwagon where future enshrinement is concerned.

“I think anybody who has gone in there, won the title…whether it’s been four fights or six fights or whatever, he still made a huge impact on our sport,” said Couture on this week’s episode of UFC Tonight when asked about the possibility of Lesnar in the Hall of Fame. “I think it’s justified.”

“No one will probably ever, EVER have that kind of impact in that short amount of time,” host Kenny Florian added.

The former heavyweight champion retired after some health-related issues leading up to a loss to Alistair Overeem in late December. He has since re-joined WWE.

Watch Couture talk about Lesnar below, who beat him for the title in 2008, as well as a few other topics in the episode’s “Ask the Analyst” segment:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Dr.Stoppage says:

The moustaches of both Don Frye and Dan Severn should be inducted before Lesnar is.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 1

• MCM says:

Kimbo had a pretty huge impact on the sport as well. Made the cover of ESPN magazine, responsible for the highest rated TUF’s in history, and headlined a network MMA card long before Cain/JDS. Who cares that he wasn’t a very good fighter.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 2

Pretty sure Brock holds the Top 3 PPV buyrates for mma…and probably 4 out of the top 5…Just throwing that out there.

But let’s hold the HOF talk till after Mir wins the belt and Brock comes back for the rubber match and wins the belt, breaks a ppv record and retires a champion all in the same night.
    (deep thoughts from the wwe universe)

• Lord Faust says:

Lesnar should be in the UFC Hall of Fame. As long as people ignore the branding.

• Lord Faust says:

Errr, rather, as long as people understand that the UFC is not the sum total of MMA. I know casuals tend to think this way, but until there is a legitimately all-encompassing MMA HOF, then the UFC can do whatever they want to laud their big stars.

• MickeyC says:

NO WAY. He bairly belonged in the octagon.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 14

How does a man whom basically was a novice to the sport and was on the wrong side of 30 win a championship yet “barely belongs in the octagon”…?

• MickeyC says:

Because he was a spoon fed side show. And even he knew it. If he had stayed and tried to compete he would have had a long strig of losses.

• Lord Faust says:

Randy qualified his statement quite well. You don’t have to like Brock to admit there is documented proof that he was good for business and achieved a lot.

• Lord Faust says:

MickeyC – Spoon fed how, exactly? He retired because Overeem blasted him in his surgically repaired abdomen. Please separate your dislike of Lesnar from reality.

• MickeyC says:

Besides, I think he and tito are going for the tag belts on that soap oprea he went back to work for. Oh wait tito has to lose another fight first.

• MickeyC says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 0 Thumb down 11

• AlphaOmega says:

Wow so much hate

• Lord Faust says:

Please, Mickey, tell us how you really feel?

You’re confusing your opinion with measurable facts; buyrates, merchandise sales, TV ratings, wins over legitimate top-tier fighters.

You don’t have to like the guy, or even respect him, but please at least commute to reality if you want to take part in the discussion.

• MickeyC says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 1 Thumb down 13

• MickeyC says:

Besides what is he 5-3 Hall of Fame, I don’t think so.

MickeyC if he was spoon fed he’d have fought guys on the lowest rung of the HW ladder… Instead he fought guys like Reem, Mir, Carwin,Velasquez, Coutore are these guys push overs in his weight class?

I’m in no means saying Brock is or ever was a great mixed martial artist BUT his short time spent in the sport impacted the sports current state and future growth more then some of the most decorated mma practioners ever made over the coarse of say a eight year career.

Brock Lesner held his own while being only good at one discipline in a sport of mixed disciplines, he never crushed cans to blow up his record and he never failed to sell a fight and in my opinion never left the fans feeling like they saw anything less then a HW spectacle in every one of his matchups. The build up and feel of a card that Brock was on won’t be duplicated anytime soon.

4 out of 5 top buy rates in mma ppv he was headlining the card… it’s relevant when speaking about a fighters legacy.

• Lord Faust says:

Mickey, I’ve been around the Interwebz for a long time. Your troll routine is pretty amateur; I’ll give you a D- as you’re definitely not HOF worthy.

For the record: I have not watched WWE since around the time Lesnar showed up. I used to write for The LAW and various other websites. I am aware of the scripted natured of the profession. Oh, wait, you were trying to be clever. I’d work on that.

Randy’s record is less-than stellar, judged solely on his win / loss ratio. It’s more than just numbers, but circumstances surrounding them.

• Lord Faust says:

Then again, why am I arguing with someone who doesn’t understand that UFC != all of MMA. It’s an easy concept to grasp when you’re not hyperventilating, spamming LESNAR IS TEH SUCK gibberish on this comment section.

You haven’t actually addressed anything, just spouted nonsense.

• hindsightufuk says:

at first i cared, then i remembered this is the same company who made him the headliner on ufc 100, the supposedly most monumental mma event of all time (guess they never watched pride, k1 or heros), then put him on the cover of their video game, and paid him more money than any other fighter, and i realised i could care less for the zuffa business module.
    the ufc hall of fame is a joke, until they get the real heavyweights in there it wont work. i’m talking justin eiller, cabbage, h20man, andre roberts etc

• MickeyC says:

HAHA you crack me up. I quit watching that crap when I was 10. Faust, have I hit a nerve? You are way too emotional about Brock. Some underlined issues? I feel he does not belong in the Hall of fame. Period. If you can’t handle that tuff shit. LOL. I think a person should have more than 5 winning fights to be included with some of the best UFC fighters out there, regardless of the money made by them or paid to them. Oh, and you know nothing of my MMA knowledge, the fact that you think you do speaks volumes about you intellect. Im sorry I upset you. Hell have no fury like a women scorned!

• Angry Mike says:

What else is Couture going to say? Brock knocked him out. Could Couture really say, “sure, he knocked me on my butt, and I’m in the Hall of Fame, but he’s not that good?” Somebody else has to argue against the Hall for Brock, not Couture.

• hindsightufuk says:

actuall Mike thats exactly what he should have said
    “sure, he knocked me on my butt, and I’m in the Hall of Fame, but he’s not that good? plus i was way past it, hadnt fought in forever, and was outweighed by 40 pounds. shit at least i tried.fuck brock lesnar”
    is what he should have said

• hindsightufuk says:

who gave me a thumbs down putting Andre Roberts and Ron Waterman in the hall of fame?
    that fights a classic
    mma wouldnt be wear it is now if it werent for Rons big shiny fucking head and Andres pudginess, motherfuckers

• Lord Faust says:

Mickey – you haven’t touched a nerve. That would imply there is some value in your words. You could not be further from the truth. In fact, if your comments and the logic were confined to the same room, the resulting anti-matter-like explosion would tear a whole in space and time, and the ensuing vortex of stupidity would undoubtedly summon you back to the logic-free dimension from whence you came.

Hit a nerve, no? But I can’t pass up the self-esteem boost that results from watching you make a fool of yourself. So, keep it up — at least you found something you’re good at.

• MickeyC says:

Hindsight, you must understand SOME of these clowns think UFC started with the Griffin/Bonner fight. Casual fans base there opinions on what is being sold to them at the time. Sad shit.

• Lord Faust says:

Unless you work in marketing, who gives a fuck what they think? The lowest common denominator does not always apply.

• MickeyC says:

Again, don’t be so touchy. You way to emotional about others opinions. Its OK for people to think what they want………….. Calm down lil lady….

• Lord Faust says:

Since when was disputing a claim you made “touchy”. Is everyone who disagrees with you “touchy”?

How about you actually discuss something instead of prematurely ejaculating your infantile internal monologue everywhere?

• MickeyC says:

You miss understand. Continuing to dispute someone’s opinion, is why I feel you are being a bit “touchy” Not that you have one of your own. You act as though your feelings are hurt that I feel Lesnar is not worthy of the Hall of fame position. You have every right to dispute, but you continue like your opinion should be mine. It’s quite comical. Look, I am done with this one, I’m sure you can find something better to do with your time. Maybe RAW is comin on or somthin.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

To be honest, who fucking cares?
    All I know is that if Lesnar is in the hall of fame, the hall of fame is not for what I thought it was. I thought it was for the best of the best and Brock doesnt fit that discription.

• Lord Faust says:

MickeyC – you haven’t done anything but make immature comments. Har har, pro wrestling is lame — you’re so funny man. What are you doing wasting all your good material here for, you should be touring this act.

Dude – I do not care what your opinion of Lesnar is. It’s you stupid troll act in this thread that annoys me. If you actually debated your stance that Lesnar isn’t HOF worthy then we’d be having a different discussion. As it stands, you’re being a troll — or just acting your age, provided my assumption that you’ll be celebrating your 14th birthday next year — and just making ignorant comments.

You’ve spent more time “accusing” me of being a WWE fan — as though that had any bearing on anything.

Logic — It’s the *UFC* Hall of Fame. I sincerely do not understand the outrage. One – he hasn’t been inducted yet.

If there was a catch-all MMA HOF, then no way Lesnar deserves to be in that. Hell, despite our arguments over the years, I would be the first guy raging if they omitted Fedor from such an HOF.

As it stands, the UFC has an HOF. It’s more of a marketing tool than anything else. Why people would lose their shit over Lesnar being inducted is beyond me. It’s like getting mad that some guy made Employee of the Month at a store you don’t work at — what is the problem?

• Lord Faust says:

Logic – sorry, I am not saying you’re part of the “outrage” group. I mixed a general sentiment with specifically addressing your comment.

• MCM says:

UFC Hall of Fame became meaningless when they inducted a T-Shirt designer.

• Lord Faust says:

I think MCM just won this thread. I totally forgot about that.

Can someone spare the man some more thumbs up?

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Brock did a lot with little formal MMA training. If he was just some big guy with gym muscles he would not have lasted one match in UFC before being bounced out.

HOF worthy? Dunno but, if that is what the UFC decides I’m not gonna cry about it. Besides where are the set defined rules for a HOF for a sport that has really reached mainstream success for less than a decade? The UFC is basically run by 3 people with Dana White being the most public and whatever they decide is what happens.

Yes, I know MMA and UFC has been around for longer but, it was a small niche sport that received little if any mainstream interest and now it gets discussed on Sportscenter. Big difference.

Brock is one of many factors that when all added up did a lot to increase awareness and visibility. Did he have the best record in MMA ever? Nope. Was he the greatest HW ever? Prolly not. Was he an untalented hack? No, and anyone who implies otherwise might want to ask Frank Mir if having his face turned into a bloody, lumpy mess was a joke. Ask Couture if having a 270 pound man sitting on you and punching you in the face is a joke.

You can take the examples of Kimbo Slice and James Tooney of what happens if you have no talent and only a name and want to compete in UFC.

I don’t think we would be having this discussion if Brock had not lost almost two full years of his career to a life threatening intestinal illness that far less people not to mention fighters would not have recovered from.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Hey , did Lesnar ever make it into the WAMMA Heavyweight rankongs?
    Just curious.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

WAMMA was a joke. It was created solely to hype Fedor and nothing more. It was fleshed out to appear legit and relevant.

I could make a belt out of old beer cans and scrap leather that would mean as much.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

HA! Just googled WAMMA MMA and last year there was an authentic WAMMA belt for sale on eBay.

First couple google links are quite informative.

Sounds like a typical M-1 global/Russian criminal production.

• Lord Faust says:

I remember it being pretty shady. At one point, I think they wanted to create their own fight tracking system that would have nuked many established fighter’s records from orbit.

IIRC, the former owner of 5oz was heavily involved in WAMMA, for whatever that’s worth.

I had to refresh the page I thought I was in a mma junkie thread…

• Dr.Stoppage says:

That’s one thing I always got a kick out of about WAMMA .
    Let’s get a bunch of dudes in the know together and create a belt.

And with Bill Goldberg on the panel of experts, who knows ,Lesnar could’ve shot up the rankings pretty quick had WAMMA not quietly ducked out of the MMA party so early.

A WAMMA belt on Ebay?
    That’s gold Jerry…GOLD!!
    I’d put it right up on the shelf beside my XFL football.
    Oh yes, I have one.

Anyways, I feel that Lesnar does deserve a spot in the UFC HOF in the future when there is an actual UFC HOF building with a special wing dedicated to the pre-Zuffa era.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Charles Lewis and the TapouT brand have done more for MMA than most (and certainly more than simply designing T-Shirts). He meant a lot to countless people in the industry and helped support the UFC/MMA before it was popular to do so.

Agreed… Unlike other sports mma is still relatively a new sport… Nike & under armor can’t say they helped athletes while a sport was in its infantile stages… I’m sure with out tsp out sponsorships alot of the early fighters we’re thankful for a sponsor that knew what it took to get into the octagon and supported them so that they could have better training gear and over all fight camp

• adamsfamily says:

Brock was a pure competitor – and a businessman. We all know how big his balls are and how he polarises opinion and if he had been healthy and if fedor…..

The question we might be asking though is – where would the heavyweight division and to an extent the mainstream poularity of MMA be if he had not taken this path over the last few years?

Despite the how much we wish this was not the monopoly it is – is still is. I think Reagans administration referred to it as ‘trickle down economics’ and those titbits allow other orgs to get started or get by, albeit being kept down at the same time. Every casual fan, who graduates to be a ‘real’ fan to end up a ‘die hard’ fan in time will see through it all.

Do I think Lesnar decerves to be the UFC HOF – yes absolutely. NO the MMA HOF but although its not really important, it will sow the seeds for new fans who can watch the old fights and a percentage will catch up on pride fights and the history.

We’ll be arguing with them in 2 years time on here

and the wheels keep turning

• jeref says:

The UFC HOF is property of the UFC, and as such, they can induct whoever the hell they want. The concept makes me a tad ill, but I just keep telling myself that someday there will be an MMA HOF that resembles other sports’ HOF.

Based on the current UFC HOF members … I see $$$, visibility, and durability (not necessarily all 3 for each member).

Royce – more/less brought MMA to the USA TV world.
    Mask (tapout as a whole) – sponsor a LOT of fighters that would have otherwise been unable to fight full-time
    Ken, Randy, Matt,Chuck, Mark – they were all around for a LONG time.
    Dan – ??? I don’t get it. Help me out here, seriously, I’m obviously forgetting something. To me, I don’t think he’s any more deserving from that era then say, Tank Abbott.

Based on that model, hell yeah, Brock’s in. Again, it makes me a little ill, since he started out as a $$$ grabbing sideshow that rapidly turned into the main event, then sailed off into the sunset – BUT he made the UFC truckloads of money, and opened up a whole new audience for the UFC.

• hindsightufuk says:

look how many replies this topic has, only other fighter who garners this much discussion is Nick Diaz. And both guys are either loved or hated, no in between.

• MCM says:

don’t forget Fedor.

• adamsfamily says:

sex violence and chocolate sell. And any product that people can neither do with or without (or at least resist passing comment on)

I think its mans natural urge to take a side (right after the natural urge to kill and win)

My religion is better than your religion is always my favourite – Faust and Mickey C’s slice of this comment thread notwithstanding.

by the way I am actually GOD, and and for all your information this is only forum I read an post on.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Severn won two UFC tournaments and was really the first guy, at least that I recall, who came in as a decorated wrestler and transitioned those skills into a successful MMA career.

Sidenote, Severn won the 101st fight of his career last month!

• JBAR says:

7 fights in the UFC with a 4 – 3 record with one of the wins being over Randy who let’s face it is a LHW. To me that is not a Hall of Fame career. A fighter should be judged first and foremost on his accomplishments in the cage. The contribution to the sport stuff is something that you have to look at for guys who are not competitors. A fighter with an above average record who did a lot for the sport might get in depending on the length of his career. I like Brock and I think he had the potential to have a hall of fame career if not for the injury but to me his career just does not warrant it. This is not intended to slam anyone who feels different than I do, I get where you are coming from.

• JBAR says:

I agree Brendhan but I will also add that the Severn Shamrock superfight was the most boring fight I have ever watched. 30 minutes of circling and slapboxing.

• Lord Faust says:

Severn was / is awesome. He was in the UFC when I first caught a glimpse of MMA, who knows how long ago… (Long enough that I was around 12-13, and watching it on my friend’s *cough* totally legal cable box.)

Then, when Shamrock and Severn both made their way to the WWE (WWF at the time), I was reminded of where I’d originally seen them. From there, I got back into MMA casually and eventually — with the inception of TUF and changing public / media attitudes towards the sport — got right into the thick of things.

I still owe my initial interest in the sport to guys like Severn, Shamrock, and Royce.

• JabCrossHook says:

I’m probably going to get a lot of thumbs down for this but I’ll just state my views on this subject anyway.

The UFC HOF is a joke and obviously Randy Xtremely OVerrated Couture is going to want Brock to be in the HOF to justify his loss to him after Brock was badly embarrassed twice and looked like he didn’t belong in the cage to begin with.

Brock was a fluke champion who got fast-tracked to the title because of his WWE popularity. It was a business decision not a legitimate sports decision. If Brock had to go become a contender the hard way he would’ve already been exposed long before he held that belt. Not to mention he got a title shot being 1-1 in the UFC which is pretty much special treatment.

But what the real joke is Randy, I’m not saying he isn’t a good fighter, but people give him more credit than he deserves.

He’s the only fighter to get a title shot right after a loss, albeit a different weight class but it still doesn’t matter. To make MMA a legitimate sport all fighters should be treated equal and fast tracking any fighter detracts from the legitimacy of MMA being a sport (which I think it is). He should’ve at least had one or two fights against a top 5 opponent to earn the title shot in a different weight class.

He’s 19-11, and IMO its more like 18-12 because there is no way he beat Vera, the judges completely robbed Vera with that decision.

Brock doesn’t belong in there unless they change the name from Hall of Fame to Hall of Finance. But I agree that Randy should be in there, no matter what he still held titles in two weight classes and beat some top fighters with his game planning, I just feel like people give him too much credit and pretty much shit on Fedor even though he was undefeated for a decade. When they were both at the top of their game, it would’ve been a good fight but Fedor would’ve won. Here’s a fun fact if Fedor didn’t lose by cut stoppage in the King of Kings tournament, he would’ve fought randy in the final.

Anyway commence the downing of the thumbs…

• JBAR says:

As far as the UFC is concerned I think Don Frye would be a good addition. He had a 10-1 record in the UFC and was one of the first guys I can remember who was able to use a standup attack to win when it was being dominated by wrestlers and BJJ guys.

• MCM says:

I get where you’re coming from JabXHook, but somewhere on this site I ran through Randy’s career and showed how all his title shots (except his last one against Timmay) were justified and how those justifications are being used today in the UFC and every other org (‘cept maybe Bellator). Randy’s career owes a huge debt to luck and circumstances and I don’t think that in today’s MMA landscape, can ever be repeated.

• JBAR says:

As far as Randy is concerned he has a 16-8 record in the UFC with 4 of those losses at HW to Josh Barnett, Big Nog, Brock Lesnar and Ricco Rodriguez. His LHW losses are to Chuck twice, Vitor Belfort (due to a cut) and Machida. I look at Randy as a LHW fighter who was able to move up and succeed against fighters who were naturally larger than him. He was a 3 time HW champ, 3 time LHW champ (once was interim). He also has won under the old tournament format of the UFC at UFC 13 which none of the current champs have done. Randy is also one of the guys who has been doing it long enough that you consider the contribution to the sport and his gyms and training centers are bringing in new talented fighters to MMA. To me, Brock was just a flash in the pan compared to Randy’s overall contribution to the UFC. This is my opinion and yours may differ and I would not hold it against you. I have been involved with MMA even before UFC 1 so I tend to look at the sport side of it not the fan appeal or the amount of PPV buys. When I was involved we fought just for the pure love of it because there sure as hell was not any money in it to speak of. If there was no UFC and there were no big paydays I would still be a fan because I love MMA. I will stop there befor I go on another money ruining the purity of the sport rant. :)