Frank Mir, Junior dos Santos each predict finish of other

UFC heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos and former title-holder Frank Mir will collide in the main event of UFC 146 Saturday night in Las Vegas and, surprising few given their in-ring reputations, neither sees the fight going five full rounds.

Recently, both Dos Santos and Mir appeared on UFC Tonight where they each offered up how they feel the championship match will end.

“Knockout in the second round,” said Dos Santos with Mir answering, “I win by submission early in the first round.”

The two opposing camps have experienced a little friction in the final build up to the contest with Dos Santos questioning Mir’s heart and Mir continuing to bring up he broke the arm of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, a mentor and training partner of Dos Santos.

Dos Santos will be defending the gold for the first time this weekend after claiming the belt with a first round victory over Cain Velasquez in November. Since that time, “Cigano” has undergone knee surgery and even had his opponent changed from Alistair Overeem to Mir.

Mir, meanwhile, moved from a #1 contender match with Velasquez – who faces Antonio Silva on the same card – into the title bout after Overeem ran into issues with his T:E level. He has won his last three fights including the December win over Nogueira.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• qat says:

too spice things up, and because jds still got some great years ahead of him, i actually really would like mir to win this.
    im really excited for this card anyway, hope it delivers.

• Angry Mike says:

Mir has pulled off some amazing wins when he’s all but ko’d, but I think Junior will be careful. Mir’s stand up is better than his critics will admit, but if he tries to stand with Junior–and I think he will initially–it’ll be a short night form him. Junior wins by first round ko, imo. Like qat, I wouldn’t mind seeing Mir win just for the excitement it will cause.

Mir Sub Rd2

• JBAR says:

Call me crazy, JDS by RNC in the 3rd.

• MickeyC says:

Frank has been one of my favorite fighters for years. And i would love to see him win, but if I were a betting man, I’d have to go with JDS. Mir has done well in the past with guys with good standup but just has never done well really heavy handed guys.

• Lord Faust says:

good standup but just has never done well really heavy handed guys.

Yeah, but those were largely wrestlers with heavy hands. JDS has shown good takedown defence, but does not appear to like grappling.

Mir has more of a chance than many are giving him. I’m not sure who I think will win this yet — my pick is coming down to the wire. Initially, I was projecting “JDS by fistic homicide”, but Frank’s making a believer out of me. I think his verbal jabs, and the fact he smashed JDS’ mentor is going to have an effect.

Regardless, this ought to be a great fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

I agree 100% with Mickey C, if I had money on this fight it would be on JDS, but I am really hoping to see Mir take it by submission.

• MCM says:

JBAR, you’re crazy. I don’t think there is a HW fighting today that could sub Mir. Although I’d like to see Barnett give it a try.
    And I’ve bet too many times on the underdog hoping they would pull through. This time I’m going with my head (and in this instance my heart) and saying that JDS wins by KO in 1st.

• JBAR says:

I can see him rocking Mir, Mir rolling to get back to his feet and JDS locking in a choke while Mir is dazed. I am halfway joking about it but I could see it happening, just trying to be different. :)

• JBAR says:

MCM, Barnett vs Mir would be one hell of a match up, I would love to see that one.

• Lord Faust says:

I’ll third that. It’s up there on my dream matches list.

• JBAR says:

Maybe if Mir loses they can send him to Strikeforce and make it happen!!!!!!!!!

• Lord Faust says:

Considering there’s only one more fight on the books for both DC and Barnett, I don’t think they would need to send Mir there. I’m sure SF would be able to arrange some sort of co-branded solution if it really mattered to them.

• JBAR says:

With SF and UFC both being under the Zuffa banner they should be able to work it out.

• AlphaOmega says:

JDS by UD

• MickeyC says:

its not going to desion!

• AlphaOmega says:

I have a feeling it will

• jeref says:

I’ve always liked Mir, but IMO he doesn’t stand a chance against JDS … key word “stand”. JDS won’t clinch like Carwin did. JDS won’t take Frank down and pound on him for several minutes like Brock did. But what JDS will do is what JDS does best … out-box his opponent. Mir just isn’t fast enough to get JDS to the ground, and I don’t see JDS getting armbarred like the Maine-iac did. Mir has decent head movement, so I can see him dragging JDS into deeper waters than he’s been before, but I just can’t see it going in Mir’s favor. Unless by chance JDS gases after three rounds.

I’m hoping Mir will pull it out somehow, but hell it’s gonna be a good fight either way!

• sides666 says:

frank by ko in the first or jds by submission in the third. either would be shockingly awesome.