Anthony Johnson misses weight by eight pounds for Titan FC debut

It seems fans hoping Anthony Johnson might eventually make his way back to the UFC shouldn’t hold their breath after “Rumble” missed weight yet again for his first fight since being cut. The 28-year old came in at a ridiculous 194.25 pounds for his main event match-up against Dave Branch at Titan FC 22 (more than eight pounds above the middleweight limit).

Interestingly enough, Branch also came in heavy at 189.25 pounds though Johnson still agreed to pay him a percentage of his purse to agree to a catch-weight fight.

The situation is similar to that this past January when Johnson hit the scale at 197 pounds before a bout with Vitor Belfort, drawing UFC President Dana White’s wrath and influencing the organization’s decision to release him after losing the fight. The 10-4 Johnson’s problems with making weight have been well-documented with two other instances under the UFC’s banner prior to the Belfort debacle.

Weight issues aside, Johnson-Branch will battle it out this evening on HDNet with the Titan FC broadcast starting at 10:00 PM EST.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

I’m shocked.

• Lord Faust says:

AJ should accept the message his kidneys are sending them, before they take more drastic measures to make their point.

I would prefer AJ not die or horribly injure himself in order to get people looking more closely at the absurd weight cutting that goes on in MMA.

The guy walks around well over 200 lbs, closer to 225 from what I have been told. You know who else walks around at that weight? Forrest Griffin; he doesn’t fight … err try to fight at middleweight or lower.

I done being mad at this guy. I am genuinely concerned for his health.

• AlphaOmega says:

anyone else get the feeling he’d miss weight even if he moved up to LHW?

• Lord Faust says:

Sadly, yes.

• Richard Stabone says:

The mat ridiculous part (and scary for AJ’s well being) is he was cutting to 170(!!) only a year or so ago. He clearly does not have the right approach to MMA as far as his body/weight is concerned. The sort of thing that’s usually reserved for chicks that go way overboard losing weight for pageants, figure skating, etc.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

He should try HW so he doesn’t have to tax his body with cutting weight and can focus on just training.

He continues to miss weight badly and while he could prolly make 205 he shouldn’t try until he sees if he can handle HW.

I would hate to see him do permanent damage to his body trying to get too thin.

• qat says:

unprofessional, stupid and dangerous.

seems like all the strain he put to himself has affected his thought processes as well, there is just no sane way to describe all that shit.

• MCM says:

Faust – while I agree with you about AJ’s health being of utmost importance, I think he should be able to make 185 comfortably. Both AS and Chael walk around at about 215-220 which is where Rumble is. Forrest walks around at closer to 245. The fact that Rumble has been able to make 170lbs 10 out of 14 fights, indicates (to me a tleast) that his body can, in fact, handle the cut to MW. I seriously think it’s just in his training and diet. Until he gets those fixed, he should be fighting at LHW though.

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t disagree entirely. Definitely a big part of it is how he eats and maintains himself between fights; his cuts to 170 seemed ridiculous, though. That is well in excess of the suggested 10% of total body weight advised by medical professionals.

Just the armchair fighter in me, but I don’t think it’s smart to be cutting any more weight than the difference between classes. (Heavyweight excluded.)

Not that I have any real insight, but I think AJ is hitting that point in life where he’s getting older and bigger. Combined with the abuses of weight cutting, a shit diet, and I bet he’s locked himself in to the 205 range. It seems like his body has reached homeostasis around 195′ish, and it’s not budging.

I completely understand the desire to have as much advantage in the fight as possible, but I think AJ is headed down the road to either being unemployable in MMA (since he can’t make weight), or a post-mortem case study in the risks of extreme weight cutting.

We need more Frankie Edgars, and less Anthony Johnson’s when it comes to battling the scales. Just my 2¢ though.

• MCM says:

While I agree with you, I look at someone like Wandy or Vitor who fought their entire careers at 205 and heavier but were able to cut latter in life due to training and diet. I think AJ is a decent sized MW (he’s certainly no larger than Vitor, Chael, or Franklin) and getting to 185 shouldn’t be much of a stretch for him. That said, I completely agree with the Edgar statement.
    Roy Nelson could make MW if he lost the weight, but he chooses to do eat what he wants and fights heavy. AJ could easily do the same and fight at LHW or HW. He might even be ranked higher if he added 10lbs of muscle and chose the “easier” HW division. It still doesn’t change the fact that he’s built like a 185er.