UFC 146 Results: Junior dos Santos stops Frank Mir with strikes to retain heavyweight strap

The road to UFC 146 may have featured a few twists and turns but fans finally arrived at the all-heavyweight PPV earlier tonight featuring a successful headlining title-defense from Junior dos Santos (14-1) who put his belt on the line against former champion Frank Mir (16-5) and came out with his hand raised thanks to his superiority in the stand-up department. Mir had a takedown stuffed early and never tried to take it to the ground again, absorbing damage in the first frame and getting put away in the second. Dos Santos has won nine straight inside the Octagon while Mir had a three-fight run snapped including his gruesome submission of the Brazilian’s friend/mentor Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Filling the card’s co-headlining spot was a bout between Cain Velasquez (9-1) and Antonio Silva (16-3). Both men were coming off losing performances but possess elite skill-sets as evident in past victories over the likes of Nogueira, Andrei Arlovski, Fedor Emelianenko, and Brock Lesnar. In the end the fight was all Velasquez who got an early takedown and pummeled Silva from above, earning a TKO stoppage in the opening round and also leaving the canvas painted crimson thanks to a well-placed elbow strike on the Brazilian’s face.

Read below for a full rundown of outcomes:

Mike Brown def. Daniel Pineda via Unanimous Decision
Glover Teixeira def. Kyle Kingsbury via Submission Round 1 (Arm-Triangle Choke)
Paul Sass def. Jacob Volkmann via Submission Round 1 (Armbar-Triangle Choke)
Dan Hardy def. Duane Ludwig via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
C.B. Dollaway def. Jason Miller via Unanimous Decision
Jamie Varner def. Edson Barboza via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Darren Elkins def. Diego Brandao via Unanimous Decision
Stefan Struve def. Lavar Johnson via Submission Round 1 (Round 1)
Stipe Miocic def. Shane del Rosario via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Roy Nelson def. Dave Herman via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
Cain Velasquez def. Antonio Silva via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Junior dos Santos def. Frank Mir via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)

• MCM says:

OHHH!! Snap! Great KO. So pumped for Dan Hardy.

• Lord Faust says:

Same! I was pulling for Ludwig, but Hardy did a great job all fight. Awesome KO.

• Lord Faust says:

Not sure what the deal was with Miller’s knee, but he is cursed when it comes to the octagon.

• MCM says:

Wow, Dollaway might have the weakest punches in MMA. I’m not even sure Bob Sapp would tap to those.

• Lord Faust says:

I knew there would be upsets. Awesome return for Varner!

• MCM says:

Hell Yeah! I wanted Varner to win, but didn’t think it was gonna happen. The underdogs are doing good tonight.

• Lord Faust says:

Same. I don’t even know why I like the guy; he’s had his shady moments. Still, he did a great job eating some leg kicks and firing off appropriate counter rights. That looked like a gameplan pulled off to a tee.

• MCM says:

Throwing it up in this thread too, cause I won’t be at my screen for the Main card.

Struve
    Del Rosario
    Nelson
    Bigfoot
    JDS

All by (t)KO.

Outside of the Miller fight, this entire card has gone the way I hoped it would. Hopefully the main card goes the same way.

• Lord Faust says:

Same.

Johnson
    Miocic
    Nelson
    Bigfoot
    JDS

I am so glad I don’t make undercard picks. I’d be in rough shape by now. Best undercard I can recall!

Yooooo

Well 1-1 so far…Man Shane looked good the first round but Miocic finishing it with the viscous GNP.

Glad to see Sonnen is still a douche

• Sykotick says:

Damn it!! Do yourself a favor guys, don’t ever marry a teacher! Cuz then you’ll have to go to their end of year parties instead of watching what is shaping up to be a kickass card! >=(

• MCM says:

Horrible matchmaking. Half the fights ended in the first round. Who wants to pay for a card where 6 of 12 fights end in the 1st and 9 of 12 are finishes. I don’t think the people got their monies worth.

• Lord Faust says:

I watched everything from the start of the FB stream. I thought it was awesome.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

It was the heavyweights, when power outmatches even the strongest of chins. One hit drops people. It is better than a card of UD’S.
    Feel free to book Cain/JDS 2 tomorrow, that is still the most intriguing fight in the division, other than Overreem/Nevada state athletic. Cormier comes in, fights Roy or Stefan for a welcome fight, and if he wins give him the Cain/JDS 2 winner.

• Richard Stabone says:

Great card. The fights kept moving so quick I was able to sneak out to grab a beer at the casino bar and get back in time without missing any action.

No idea how anyone picked against Cain or JDS. Cain is the best HW on the planet and will show it when healthy later this year in the rematch. And JDS is really good; a horrible matchup for Mir who just doesn’t like to get hit. Not that anyone *likes* to get hit, but for Mir it’s pretty much game over. Still can’t understand why Nog stopped throwing punches but whatever…that’s water under the bridge. In Mir’s last 3 title fights he hasn’t been remotely competitive.

Pretty decent number of Brazilian fans in the crowd. After the disappointing shocker with Varner taking out Barboza, they got to celebrate the main event in style. But Cain will hold the belt again by year’s end.

• Richard Stabone says:

And 5 outta 6 wins for Struve. He’s gradually forcing people to give him the credit he deserves.

• Richard Stabone says:

I think/hope MCM’s sarcasm was missed above.

• qat says:

Imagine Cain with a Nelson-chin…
    Cain is no doubt a brutal animal, but he is able to be dropped, im pumped for the rematch, what a statement. Hope we gonna see more rounds between the two of them.

I would like to see Bigfoot vs. Kongo and Mir vs Struve next. Who might be next for Nelson? Browne? Hunt? Miocic? Maybe Big Nog.

Great night of fights anyway.

• AlphaOmega says:

I agree Richard, I don’t think people realized the sarcasm, I thought it was hilarious MCM. Well I went 3 for 5 in my predictions, and JDS did end it by TKO not UD like I thought, so I’ll admit that I was wrong to Mickey who claimed it wouldn’t go to the judges, and the 4 or 5 people who thumbs downed me.

Great night of fights though, glad my friend was able to come through and get the ppv which wasn’t looking promising. Any word yet on if Miller was released? I wouldn’t be surprised. And I don’t think they will but I hope Bigfoot isn’t released after that fight, I’d like him to try and stay around and do well in the UFC.

• MCM says:

Thank you AlphaOmega, and Richard. I guess sarcasm doesn’t translate in text. I loved the fights last night.

Miller has been cut, but it’s due to some incident that happened back stage. It sucks cause he’s a much better fighter than he’s shown in his last 2 UFC outings.
    I doubt they’ll cut Bigfoot loose anymore than they’ll cut Pee Wee. As great as the HW division is, it’s still the thinnest division in the sport and they need all the guys they can get.

• qat says:

Bigfoot wont be released, he stepped up for a bigger fight and new opponent, surely he is gonna stay.

• AlphaOmega says:

Speaking of things backstage, did you guys see that the reason Arianni wasn’t there for most of the night is she got arrested for a domestic dispute before the fights?

• AWESOME card….went exactly how I expected. I was on a perfect streak on the main card till Cain bludgeoned Big Foot…and its not that I expected Cain to lose I just wanted him to. Same with Junior vs. Mir…I dont know what Mir’s problem was last night…it seemed like once something didnt work he just quit. He was landing equal strikes to Junior(between the leg kicks and left hands) and once he got cracked the first time he just never seemed to get back on track. Not shocking, just not how I wanted it to go.
    I say next should be Struve vs. Cain(yeah I said it) and Miocic vs Roy.
    Struve has the beard and the ground skills to give Cain a real big problem, and his fight with JDS in his UFC debut was stopped HORRIBLY early considering the fact that we know what kind of beating Struve can take and still win a fight.
    Miocic showed he’s not upper upper echelon yet, but he showed he can hang when he’s getting hurt and turn things around. good showing.
    That sucked with Mayhem blowing out his knee….As a judge Id have gave him all three rounds just based on the fact that CB held positions that would’ve been dominant had it been anyone else holding them, but he just basically let mayhem roll around and feigned punches for three rounds.
    But then again its no secret that CB bugs me.