Cain Velasquez gets his rematch with UFC champ Junior dos Santos

Cain Velasquez handled Antonio Silva Saturday night in the co-main event of UFC 146, scoring a takedown and bloodying the face of Silva with a vicious elbow. The successful showing was his first since dropping the heavyweight title to Junior dos Santos last November. Now, it appears that the former champion did enough against Silva to secure himself a rematch with Dos Santos, who himself was successful against Frank Mir at the same event.

“Yeah, that’s what’s next,” said UFC President Dana White to Fuel TV after the show had ended. “Cain was the undefeated champion, and he gets another shot at Junior.”

Velasquez saw an opening right off the bat after Silva tried to land a kick. The former Arizona State University wrestling standout quickly took Silva to the ground and proceeded to pound him into a bloody mess. After the doctor checked the cut, the two were brought back to the canvas and Velasquez went right back to work.

“Right away he threw the kick and I rushed him,” said Velasquez in a separate interview with Fuel TV.

A date for the Dos Santos-Velasquez rematch is unknown. White refused to speculate on the contest possibly taking place inside a stadium.

Check out highlights from Velasquez’s win over Silva below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I hope both guys came out of their matches injury free. Cain looked very hungry and just rolled Bigfoot and never gave him a chance and JDS looked very sharp.

I would like to see them fight maybe November or December and have winner fight Overeem once he gets off suspension.

If JDS gets by Cain and Overeem I don’t see a current HW who could beat him.

• JabCrossHook says:

I think Cain gets clipped again, and JDS has shown that his TDD is outstanding….

Cain should get another fight before fighting for the title, maybe a top 5 HW with some big power so he can test himself out. The problem is cain got dropped by kongo twice, his chin is suspect and JDS will probably find it again.

I mean it’s obvious Cain deserves the nod but man am I tired of championship rematches…. Even if it’s one fight in between it just never ceases to be a championship rematch in the works…
    Bendo = rematch
    Silva = rematch
    Cruz = was going to be a rematch
    JDS = rematch
    that’s almost half the champs.

• AlphaOmega says:

I agree cain should have to fight one maybe two more fights before another title shot.. The problem is who would he fight to keep him relevant and who would JDS defend the belt against in the mean time? I know they have quite a few HWs but are any of them in line for a title shot?

• MCM says:

Werdum gets the rematch before Cain IMO.
    Then Overeem, then Cain. Unless Cormier is in the UFC by then.

Cain can fight Overeem for a #1 contenders match (I’m ok with that), or take on Barnett while he waits for JDS to go through the guys ahead of him.

I don’t know what it is about Cain, but there is just nothing I like about the guy. That doesn’t color the fact that I think he should fight more than once before getting another title shot, see my rants on Faber for an example.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

If Cain would have come out and went to a close UD or split decision with Bigfoot then I could see one more fight for Cain.

Joe Average Fan just saw the former champ come out and destroy a much bigger guy. Really put a beating on him, then saw the current champ look very sharp in his match.

That average fan is thinking ” Wow! I really want to see these guys fight again, maybe they will fight again, and if so I hope I can get tickets!”

UFC is trying to pay the hot hand. Just because it is a rematch doesn’t mean it wont be good. Only the Bendo fight was an immediate rematch. I would always prefer at least one match between rematches and most of the time there is.

Chael beat two other people before his rematch , Cain at least one if UFC follows through with what they said, Faber will be at least two matches if he gets a rematch.

• You know who’s most deserving…STRUVE 5 of last six were wins all by stoppages by various ways. Cain should fight werdum first but since he’s not how bout werdum takes on the skyscraper for a shot at redemption against Junior