Dan Hardy, Roy Nelson earn Knockout of the Night honors at UFC 146

Many fans out there were left scratching their heads when the UFC decided to let welterweight Dan Hardy stick around for one more scrap despite having lost four straight. Last night “The Outlaw” proved his employers’ faith was well-placed after flattening Duane Ludwig in the opening round of their undercard bout at UFC 146.

Not only was Hardy’s performance good enough to solidify his spot on the organization’s roster but also earned him an extra $70,000 for Knockout of the Night. However, he was not alone in the distinction as Roy Nelson also scored Knockout of the Night and $70,000 for his sub-minute mauling of Dave Herman.

Submission of the Night honors were also dished out to dual competitors with both Paul Sass and Stefan Struve receiving nods. Sass transitioned into a beautiful Armbar-Triangle Choke hybrid to draw a tap from streaking grappler Jacob Volkmann, while Struve shredded opponent Lavar Johnson’s arm in the PPV’s opening tilt.

No Fight of the Night was awarded.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• No fight of the night rewarded? that’s messed up I think Brown vs. Penaida should’ve gotten that….that was a highly entertaining back and forth fight.
    But with handing out the extra money I guess I understand why. I was pissed during the card when they showed that Paul Sass got sub of the night over Struve. Glad to see they got dual bonuses. That armbar by the skyskraper was NASTY, and I hope Lavar recovers quickly as he stepped up and took a tough fight on short notice and has been very exciting to watch so far in his short UFC career.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I actually thought Sass’ finish of Volkmann was a lot more impressive than Struve’s. Johnson is a fish out of water on the ground while Volkmann is an accomplished grappler who was on a fairly solid winning streak at 155. Only other person to have tapped him was Martin Kampmann while five of Johnson’s six losses were submission-based.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

So Dave Herman.. What were you saying about KO’ing Big Country in the first round?

How did that work out for you?

Ludwig is no slouch but it really seemed from the start to be a gift wrapped win for Dan Hardy…
    Hate him or love him Roy Nelson comes to fight, and props to him for looking a lot more fit lately.

• moosebaby02 says:

KO of the night should have been all $140k to the Fatmnan himself. He spun that kid like a top on to his knees but Hardys was sick too just not as funny. Did u see how far that hand was back when threw it? Im surprised he didnt plant him straight into the mat. As for subs if the night Sass should have been a lone winner as well. Struves was sick but lets face it….its what he does. When he pulled gaurd I was sweet any second now I can get a beer

• MCM says:

I’m pretty happy with no FOTN. I thought it was a great card all around and I like that with so many finishes, the UFC handed out extra bonuses.

And I have never heard a crowd so in favor of Roy Nelson. I love the guy and always will, but I didn’t know he had such a huge and vocal fan base. He elected almost as many cheers as JDS.

• moosebaby02 says:

its the everyday blue collar look MCM with I wont lose any sleep about the shit u think about persona. Fatman is my hero

• Lord Faust says:

A friend of mine was there live. He said “man they love their heavyweights… I think Roy could win the election if they held it right now.”

I think leaving out FoTN with a main card full of finishes is fine, considering they gave out an extra bonus.