Rousimar Palhares declines offer to train with Chael Sonnen

For someone with a history of making both disparaging remarks about Brazil and light of BJJ it seems UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen has a different opinion of both behind closed doors. According to fellow 185-pounder Rousimar Palhares, Sonnen’s camp contacted his manager in hopes of organizing some training time to help prepare the polarizing pugilist for a July 7 match-up with champion Anderson Silva.

However, while Palhares does not necessarily have a relationship with “The Spider” other than their shared status as Brazilians, he apparently isn’t looking to help Sonnen take Silva’s gold either.

“I said I won’t do it,” revealed Palhares in an interview with TATAME, adding he would definitely be rooting for Silva when he fights Sonnen at UFC 148.

Though the request didn’t work out for Sonnen it’s hard to blame him for trying considering Palhares’ submission savvy and having been tapped out by Silva in their 2010 bout. Then again, considering Palhares’ last outing, Sonnen might have been better off contacting Alan Belcher’s representatives instead.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Sonnen is a troll.

• hindsightufuk says:

did you see his little piece at 146, talking about how he’s still undefeated, still undisputed.
    i guess he must have a good sense of humopur, no way is he that delusional

• Lord Faust says:

If true, Sonnen dodged a bullet.

Remember the reporter with the shock pen? Same idea – only it involves a destroyed knee.

“I heard you don’t like Brazil?”

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I really hope Sonnen takes Silva’s title. I would love to see another match like their first with a different ending.

Silva is talented but, is boring and lacks charisma. I really hope he trains on take down defense and fighting off his back.

• Xspur says:

To say Silva is boring is, well, your opinion I guess. Did you see the Belfort fight? Watching Silva fight is like sparring with your students. He is a master among pupils. That said, I am a big fan of both fighters. I hope it’s a very exciting fight, and as much as I love Sonnen, I love legacy’s more. I’ll be rooting for Silva. Sonnen is smart to take steps to improve his submission defense, I don’t see him using it in this rematch though. Silva, if healthy, will beat him on his feet.

• Lord Faust says:

Silva is boring when he’s not challenged. He’s one of two fighters in the history of my MMA viewing that has reduced an entire division, worldwide, to “a bunch of really good guys, and him, the champion”.

Not that this is a revelation, but it bears repeating: Sonnen did wonders to make Silva more marketable. Previous to their first fight, Silva was getting more attention for Dana bashing his performances than he was for his amazing talent. Whether it would have happened or not, does anyone remember Dana threatening to put Silva on the undercard if he didn’t quit dicking around in his fights? (I think this was after the Maia fight, but I am not sure.)

Anderson Silva rises and lowers himself to the challenge in front of him. If you’re going to flop on your ass every time he gets close, then he’ll stay on his feet and dance. If you press him for a standing fire-fight, then he’ll decimate you.