Wanderlei Silva lays into Vitor Belfort based on broken hand

Countless fans, many of whom were Brazilian, were utterly disappointed when news surfaced over the weekend middleweight Vitor Belfort had withdrawn from a headlining fight against Wanderlei Silva in front of their countrymen at UFC 147. One of the people left far from pleased with the development was none other than Silva himself who has had a longstanding rivalry with “The Phenom”.

Silva recently spoke about the news in a conversation with TATAME where he blasted Belfort, questioning both his professionalism and courage.

“We are professionals. It’s a great irresponsibility not to be careful on training, a great disrespect towards the fans,” stated Silva, in many cases speaking directly to Belfort through the interview. “I’m really sad. I’m ready to knock you out, you have nowhere to run…I guess you got scared of me. Nobody trains so hard that breaks his hand. We use the best equipments, gloves, bandages.”

“If you were scared, you shouldn’t have accepted it. If you really got it broken, it’s amateurism and if you didn’t, you’re scared,” Silva continued. “In both scenarios, it was irresponsible of you towards the fans. Pardon the word, but I’m pissed with your amateurism.”

The UFC is still seeking a replacement for Belfort to face “The Axe Murderer” on June 23 in Brazil. A handful of names have been rumored as possibilities with Alan Belcher seemingly the most likely given his recent success in addition to the number of well-known 185ers already booked for future bouts.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

No matter who replaces him…this is not a PPV main event. Fight night or Fuel Tv main event maybe.

Maybe.

• Richard Stabone says:

Only way it really worked as a headliner was on a Brazil card, but still a stretch given that Wandy is in the twilight of his career. This card already seemed pretty shaky…now I’m not sure it’s salvageable. How many fights are even booked? Are they working on getting Hermes Franca on the card thru work release program?

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Got respect for Wandi and all his accomplishments but, asking the American audience to throw down sixty bucks for a PPV he is headlining after billing him as a mid carder for several years seems wrong.

Maybe they are hoping the Brazil market will pay big to see it, I dunno.

Has Wandi had a fight since getting KTFO by Leben?

I think the years of wars in Pride is finally catching up to him. When was the last time he showed he is still a dominant force and just swarmed someone for the quick KO?

Maybe I’m missing something but, I don’t see what about this card is worth my $60.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Pretty sure it’s shown for free in Brazil on Globo.

• Lord Faust says:

I think Wandy is pissed his PPV back-end just took a nose-dive.

• matt says:

Wandi has fought since the leben fight. He knocked out cung le in the co main event at the Henderson vs. shogun event. I do not believe he is main event worthy but he is one of the Most popular fighter in the UFC. Especially now that Vitor is out this should be a free card. I do not see a suitable replacement that is main event worthy. Here are a few fights I would like to see.
    Silva vs. koscheck
    Silva vs. belcher
    Silva vs. bisping (most main event worthy)
    Silva vs. stann or Lombard
    Or silva vs. Liddell rematch!!!!!!!

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Thanx Matt..I thought I was missing a fight but, couldn’t bring it to mind. Other than Silva vs. TBA what else is there?

I would love to see Stann v. silva but, I don’t know if the outcome would be much different than the Leben fight.

The opponents who would be a good match up for him are few. His all out style is exciting but, his chin can’t take the big hits. Same thing that put Liddell into retirement.

Maybe a move back to 205 wouldn’t be bad for his final few fights. Just don’t know if he can hang with the upper tier of either division.

• MCM says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Bisping get a rematch, but I agree with everyone else that this is not a PPV card. I know, we’re all spoiled with so much MMA now, but that’s the way it is. What really sucks is that this card has had both it’s headliners scratched. First Chael/Silva now Vitor/Wandy.

And I completely agree with Wandy. Total “amateruism”.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

I’m not gonna lie…I’m really surprised by all of you that have posted. Could it be argued that Silva is in the twilight of his career? Sure. But I don’t think that anyone can argue that when he fights, he comes to fight…win or lose.

The fans complain that many of the recent fights have been boring; that fighters are trying to play it safe. Now, we have a tried and true warrior that would rather go out on his sheild than have a boring fight, and you are all complaining? Vitor injured himself… so what. You break a hand, it shuts you down. After having broken my hands a combined number of seven times over the years, I get it.

Rather than think of the problem, let’s think of the solution.

Wand vs. Bisbing…I don’t really care about that. Bisbing, love him or hate him, is ready for a title shot (although everything he has said has led me to believe that he is waiting for A. Silva to retire.)

Wand vs. Stann/ Lombard- Either one sounds great, but to be realistic, will not take place. Since a fight between Lombard and Stann is already set, Wand facing either would take place 6 months from now.

Possible solutions:

Wand vs. Munoz
    Wand vs. Lawlor
    Wand vs. Belcher

Can anyone argue that any of these match ups would be entertaining? That they don’t make sense, rankings wise? That they wouldn’t be competetive?

W. Silva most recently took out Cung Le, a guy with absolute monster striking ability. In my mind, that makes him still strongly competetive.

Will he ever hold a title, again? Highly unlikely. But to shut him out of upper tier matches at this point is absurd.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Wand/Belcher makes no sense rankings wise but it would be a fun fight and he’s coming off that win over Palhares so the fans in Brazil would undoubtedly love it.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

Mr. Conlan- I will absolutely agree that Wand vs. Belcher is a stretch, rankings wise…but I think that all will agree that Zuffa/ Joe Silva don’t always take rankings as the sole factor when they make their fights (Wand vs. Belfort, for instance)…. Honestly, I would take Belcher all day long in a bout between the two.

Reasonably, I think that Wand vs. Lawlor makes sense/ would be a great draw.

And, as always, I would still love to write for this site.

• Kamakosmo says:

Bigbadbull…Did you break your hands training for a fight? I think that is Silva’s big beef here. When training stand up, you normally would wear boxing gloves, to avoid things such as this. Belfort is a proffesional that’s been doing this for many years (and for some reason has backed out of more fights than anyone I can think of off the top of my head), and shoud know better.
    Silva is pissed, and you can’t blame him. This is a rematch he’s wanted forever. It was gonna be a war. And to add insult to his wallet, will lose out on PPV dollars. No matter who the UFC puts in Belfort’s place, it will obviously not come close to the anticipation (and PPV buys) that the original Main Event was offering. Especially to the die hard fans that have waited for this rematch just as long as Silva has.

• Belcher vs wandi would be a great fight. It gives Alan a chance to fell a legend and gives The Axe.murderer a chance at a quick shot at being relevant again. As far as was Vitor vs Wandy close in rankings? Absolutely. Silva has beaten at least one top grade mw since making the move down while Belfort has beaten a fighter with one ufc win in akiyama and a bum who can’t make weight.in rumble
    Personally I think the Phenom was gettin a gift wrapped present on this one and he blew it

• matt says:

Big bad bull-

Are you serious???? Tom Lawlor in a pay per view main event! The guy is 2-3 in his last five beating, cote who is no longer in the UFC and Jason macdonald who should retire. Yes he would provide Wandi a chance to win but honestly at this point in toms career he isn’t even worthy of fighting on a ppv main card especially not the main event!

• Kamakosmo says:

BiG BaD BuLL: “And, as always, I would still love to write for this site.”

Well, for starters you should answer the questions that have been thrown at you. Would at least help pad your resume ;)