B.J. Penn: “I would like to put together a fight that would make sense for everybody.”

Like sand through the hourglass, so it appears are the days of B.J. Penn’s retirement.

While the popular Hawaiian’s decision to hang up his gloves after an October loss hasn’t exactly resulted in a soap opera, Penn’s previous interest in remaining sidelined has continued to dwindle over the past few months to the point “The Prodigy” has started hinting at a return. While he is still waffling to an extent, Penn recently admitted he’s leaning towards a comeback at some point as long as all the involved parties are on the same page.

“Right after the fight (with Nick Diaz) I had no interest in fighting but I’m kind of warming up to the idea a little. Everywhere I go, people constantly (say), ‘C’mon man, get back in the ring! Get back in the ring!’ I think what they’re doing is starting to work a little,” revealed Penn on this week’s episode of UFC Tonight, adding he didn’t have a specific timeframe in mind but that, “It ain’t gonna be anytime in the next couple months, that’s for sure.”

If, and more likely when, Penn signs for a future appearance inside the Octagon he won’t be looking for charity but rather a challenge sparking his own desire to compete as well as that of the fans to see the tilt take place.

“I don’t want any ‘freebie’ fights…I would like to put together a fight that would make sense for everybody – for the fighters and for the fans and organization,” said the 33-year old Penn who also isn’t dead set on whether he’ll return at 155 or 170 pounds.

“That’s still up in the air,” Penn admitted. “I could see myself fighting at lightweight again though.”

Penn most recently held a belt in the lightweight division though has shown a personal preference for avoiding the need to shed pounds with his last three bouts coming at 170.

Watch the full interview with Penn below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

He doesn’t want it anymore. No shame in retirement but, if he was hungry and wanted a challenge we would be talking about him v. Kos.

Kos is the better wrestler but, doesn’t have any other obvious advantages. Think BJ stays retired.

He doesn’t have anything to prove or owe anyone anything.

• Angry Mike says:

Agreed. If he still wanted to fight, he wouldn’t need to be coaxed by fans or UFC brass. And if he doesn’t really want to fight, there’s a good chance he won’t be fully prepared if he returns. Even when he still wanted to fight, BJ’s conditioning was always a question. Showing up in less than peak condition is prescription for a beating.

• Lord Faust says:

It’s a wild guess and nothing more, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we saw Hughes / Penn for a retirement match.

• Angry Mike says:

Meh. I wouldn’t watch it unless it was on an otherwise good card. Both were great fighters in their day, but neither have been relevant for years.

• Lord Faust says:

If it happened, I would not expect it to be a main event. It’s an easy sell, and either guy winning doesn’t mess with any mixes people may or may not be in.

• Richard Stabone says:

There’s just not an intriguing matchup out there to justify BJ coming out of “retirement.” Which is weird, cuz I always enjoyed watching him compete & he’s obviously a very gifted fighter. But even if I was given match-making powers for his return, nothing jumps out as being particularly exciting.

BJ was just never a consistent threat at WW, so a return there seems pointless.

And the LW picture is already so jammed up that BJ jumping back into the mix there seems pretty unlikely. Maybe if Bendo beats Frankie again (which I don’t think will happen), prompting a drop to 145 that has long been speculated, that could open things up a bit for BJ to make one final run at the title.

But does he really have the desire at this stage of his career to put the work in to get back to 155 in the type of condition it would take to compete with the current crop of guys? I have my doubts, which only grow stronger with each passing month away from live competition.

Only reason to come back would seem to be a payday, which BJ has never really needed & perhaps contributed to his questionable dedication at times. Won’t be a *bad* thing if he does get back in the cage, but I just don’t see the upside.

• MCM says:

I’d say IF BJ came back, it would have to be at LW. He’s beaten one guy in the WW division. Take out his fights with Hughes and he’s 0-3-1 add them in and he’s 2-4-1, not really impressive. As for the LW division, only a fight with Melendez or Alvarez make any sense to me, and I don’t think either of those are happening anytime soon. Unless Aldo wants to make a move up to 155 like the Spider did, I could see Penn getting excited for that, and it’d be a great fight too.