Jake Ellenberger: “I gotta finish this fight. I gotta prove that I’m even a contender for that title.”

Jake Ellenberger knows he can continue to rapidly climb up the UFC‘s welterweight ladder when he steps inside the Octagon this Friday night against Martin Kampmann. Since a loss to Carlos Condit in 2009, Ellenberger has posted six consecutive victories including wins over John Howard, Jake Shields, and most recently Diego Sanchez.

“It’s definitely an honor to be a main event again,” said the 27-5 Ellenberger in a recent interview on UFC Ultimate Insider. “I’m just excited. I’m a big believer in ‘actions speak louder than words.’ I gotta finish this fight, I gotta prove that I’m even a contender for that title.”

Kampmann has posted back-to-back wins over Thiago Alves and Rick Story since two losses to Sanchez and Shields.

Ellenberger-Kampmann will serve as the main event at the Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale. The finals of the current TUF tournament will also take place with Al Iaquinta meeting Michael Chiesa.

Check out the complete interview in the video below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

If the winner wants a title shot that means waiting almost a year to fight again. If I was the winner of this fight I would call out Carlos Condit, question his manhood, call him the son of an unnamed goat or something to try to establish myself in the title picture.

Otherwise you will be forever “in the mix” and never get a shot at the title. By the time Condt v. GSP happens it will likely be first of next year. Diaz has suspension end around that time and by this time next year we might be talking about Diaz v. GSP/Condit with Ellenberger/Kampman still not really in the picture anymore than now.

• Richard Stabone says:

Winner of this fight gets Hendricks in a #1 contender fight, facking the winner of GSP/Condit. Seems simple enough to me.

No need to worry about Nick Diaz being in the mix at this point. His status is up in the air, he can’t be counted on, and if/when he does get back to MMA/UFC he’ll need to actually beat a top welterweight to be in the mix. In other words, what should’ve been the case all along.

• Lord Faust says:

Makes more sense to me than an interim title that will not be defender.

Right now we’re trying to find the #2 contender.

• MCM says:

Damn right the winner needs to call out Condit. Here’s what they should say too.

Joe: “I’m here with the winner. This puts you right at the top, who do you see for your next fight?”

Winner: “I’m going on record right now and calling out the Natural Born Sprinter, Carlos Condit. Joe, your talking to the only guy today that has never legitimately lost a fight in the UFC’s WW division. I beat Carlos’s ass and then hit a string of bad luck, while he gets a gifted a title shot, cause everyone else bailed. And I’m out here finishing top 5 fighters while he’s getting beat down by newbies. Here’s what I’m gonna do Joe. I’m going back in my dressing room and I’m gonna sign a contract to face this pretender in September. Carlos can either be a Champ, or he can be a Chump. He can sign the contract and let me beat his ass for a second time….or he can Run.”
    Then the winner should push the camera out of his face and walk out like a Boss.

Yeah, it reeks of Chael Sonnen, but it is an effective way to get a shot at the belt. And thankfully this works for either Martin or Jake. ;)

• Well it WOULD work for both if that were true except A) Carlos won two rounds to Jake’s one…and B) Martin finished a top 5 Fighter? When?! Certainly you don’t mean Alves? That guy hasn’t won a relevant fight since before he fought Gsp.
    But I DO agree that the winner of this fight should fight Carlos
    I’d love to see him eat Martin up this time OR mix it up with Jake again in a rematch of what should’ve won FOTY last time out.

• adamsfamily says:

Wow MCM, or is it Mr T – did you just watch rocky 3

Dont give him statues give him guts! Hey! Woman…

Hey mcm you should write that shit for a living. Better promo then most pro wrestlers these days could cut. Nice job.