Dana White offers up thoughts on Nick Diaz, Jon Jones, PEDs, and more

UFC President Dana White has had a lot on his plate over the past few weeks with situations springing up such a few of his employees’ recent run-ins with the law as well as a slew of injuries and suspensions. The outspoken executive was recently asked to weigh-in on a number of the topics where he addressed Jon Jones’ arrest for DUI, Nick Diaz’s yearlong suspension for marijuana use, performance enhancing drugs, the future of Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez, and more.

Here are a few things plucked from White’s extended interview with Inside MMA followed by video of the conversation:

Performance Enhancing Drugs – “If you look at all the fights we put on – I did the math on this thing the other day and of course I can’t remember it now – but if you look over the history since I’ve been involved with the UFC, which is eleven years and something like 1700 fights…now if you go back over the last eleven years and see how many guys in the UFC have popped for PEDs, out of 1700 fights, it’s very small…I don’t think it’s as big of an issue as everybody’s making it out to be.”

Diaz – “It’s very frustrating. It’s one of those situations where the kid was about to make the most money he’d ever made in his whole career or more money than guys have ever made in their entire careers. So as frustrating as it is for me imagine how frustrating it is to him.” / “I want Nick Diaz to compete. I want Nick Diaz to fight in the UFC. But there are rules. And you have to follow the rules. You cannot smoke marijuana. I don’t care how many lawyers you get.”

Jones – “He’s a good kid. He made a stupid mistake You think about social drinking…everybody’s done it. Everybody was at that age where they jumped in the car, drove home and the next day they said I can’t believe that I drove home last night. It’s a serious situation that happens here in the United States. I know for a fact Jon has learned from this and hopefully he can educate other people.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

Basically he didnt say anything here. I swear Ariel only asks Dana soft questions so he stays on his good side. Why not ask about how many fighters have gotten by using PEDs and cheated through or cycled off in time to pass tests? What about Overeems last fight where he passed a test but was surly on something then also? I understand this is the first real transgression Jones has had in his UFC time but he is representing the company and if you are going to cut one fighter for quoting a tv show on twitter but do nothing to another who gets a dui what does that say about your internal policies?

• AlphaOmega says:

It says that if they make you money then they can do whatever they want basically. Torres doesn’t make the UFC as much money as Jones does.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Fanoftna maybe you pose the question like this:

Dana, I know GSP has peed clean for every fight in the UFC but, obviously he was on the juice and just cycled off, did you think about testing him a week earlier to see if he pissed dirty?

Or maybe:
    We all know most fighters are on some kind of PED, do you think there should be pro-active suspensions even if the fighter pissed clean? Get the suspension out of the way since we all know everyone cheats.

Slippery slope isn’t it?

For the record I don’t think GSP is a cheater, just using a well respected athlete as an example to prove a point.

• Lord Faust says:

Dana seems offbase in his pot comments. Yes, it’s illegal at the federal level — yet legal at the state level where Nick resides.

The NSAC never proved — nor could they, with their flawed testing — that Diaz was under the influence during his fight. It’s not illegal to get high, it’s illegal to be caught possessing marijuana without documentation from a physician; be that a written recommendation or a card.

Dana is avoiding the issue by hiding behind the vagueries of the law. The NSAC could not decide why they didn’t like Nick’s pot smoking, after trying at least three different angles of attack. I’m pretty confident that if Nick’s lawyer presses the issue, the decision may be changed; the whole hearing reeked of a personal vendetta — there was not one instance during Nick’s hearing that the NSAC seemed interested in fact-finding.

The NSAC contradicted itself numerous times during the hearing. The shortest example would be the following:

NSAC: “The last time this happened, you promised not to smoke pot again!”

NSAC: “You should have gotten a TUE!”

There are no right answers to loaded questions.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

As for Jon Jones:

What would you have the UFC do? His DUI arrest is very public and I’m sure he is embarrassed. He will likely be treated as anyone else and maybe even harsher.

I’m sure he will have to do community service and talk to people about the dangers of drinking and driving and pay a small fine.

Do you expect the UFC to fire him on the spot? Suspend him for six months to a year? I want to hear a solution.

Seems like a lot of people have gotten their torches ready and are headed to burn the castle down, screaming we want blood!

All I’ve seen in condemnation but, no solutions about what you would do.

The offender makes a apology, possibly gets short term counciling, pays a fine, possibly community service.

Why should Jon Jones be punished any harsher than anyone else?

I’m not defending DUI and I think it was a bonehead thing to do, I’m just having a hard time understanding what people think should happen.

“In all major sports leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) DUI isn’t punished very severely if at all, unless there is harm done to third party.”

I recall the NFL fining the shit out of there players.

• AlphaOmega says:

I think the biggest problem is that now two fighters have gotten DUI’s and had nothing done to them, while two other fighters got fired for tweeting something slightly controversial, one was a joke they just repeated.

• fanoftna33 says:

Mad Hatter as for the ped use I fully belive in the random drug testing policy, even if it outs some well respected fighters like a GSP or a Liddell ( examples only) look what happened to Barnette when he got randomly tested? Overeem? Random testing eliminates the ability of the fighter to just cycle off the ped of choice at the correct time to piss clean and Dana has never really addressed this issue, it seems to me that would be the type of question I would like to hear the UFC take on.
    As for Jones I would like to see at least the same type of punishment given to him that offenders of the twitter policy have had, I dont know about you but I see a DUI as about 1000 times worse of a transgression than a fighter letting out a stupid tweet.

• Angry Mike says:

Jones seems to have a little concern about his image, and he’s smart enough to understand that bad publicity costs him money with sponsors and endorsements. Who knows what goes through Nick’s brain.

• MCM says:

I agree fanoftna33 that a DUI is 1000 times worse. Unfortunately, as a society, we tend to take using words like faggot and cunt as being far more destructive to our way of life than driving intoxicated. It’s a completely ass backwards way of thinking, but it is what it is. I don’t normally recommend the UFC fallowing in other sports footsteps, but in this instance I would look to see how the NFL or NBA handles DUI’s an institute a similar policy.

I wanna know why Dana hasn’t mentioned the two girls that were in the car with Jones when he crashed, or that he reportedly paid Diaz $300k to show up for press conferences, or if he’s done the math on how much money he loses when fighters get popped for PED’s (Overeem main event) vs. how much it would cost to institute random drug testing.

I agree Ariel gives him softball questions.

• Niv says:

I was wondering what did Dana say about Melendez? I want to see him asap in the UFC.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Asking about random testing is different than asking how many people that pissed clean were just on an off cycle of PED use.

JDS and Roy Nelson have both spoke out recently in favor of random testing so maybe that will gain traction.

I don’t get too worked up about PED use as I feel as an adult I should not have someone else telling me what I can or can’t put in my body.

I also understand there are leagues and commissions that feel differently and that random testing is likely the best solution.

If all fighters were tested once a month a lot of issues could be avoided but, that testing isn’t cheap so a solution as to who pays for it and who does the testing would have to be addressed.

I think even with random testing not much would change because, I think that a large majority of fighters are clean.

• Lord Faust says:

Melendez is in SF until the duration of his contract. Dana has zero interest in cross-over with Strikeforce. At the post-PPV presser he finally asked reporters to stop asking him about SF, according to the man himself “I have absolutely nothing to do with them”.

• fanoftna33 says:

Nobody is telling you what you can and cannot put in your body but this isnt about you it is about a sporting competition that is supposed to be on a level playing field, if the commisssions stop telling fighters what they can ingest then weight classes are soon to be gone from the sport, and weapons will be added soon, then finally all the politicians can get what they want and shut mma down.

• qat says:

The “I want nobody to tell me what I can or can’t put in my body”-logic is flawed and dangerous.
    Its all your issue, until you compete with your body against others. These bodys are fucking weapons shaped to hurt people, dont ever forget that!

With your logic it would be ok for guys to implant real steel into their hands.. its their body, right?

And i believe that PEDs are very common in MMA, and fuck that expensive bullshit, the UFC can definitely come up with a system if they care about it at all.

Dana’s comments are obviously meant to mitigate the problem for people who dont know much about the issue. Guys only pop if they make grave mistakes, and only that hurts the UFC.
    If the UFC really comes up with a system, i fear its purpose might more be to avert damage to the UFC then to really clean up the sport.

And i agree that Helwani does a really bad job there, unfortunately.