Patrick Cote headed back to the UFC as replacement to face Cung Le

Patrick Cote, a former contender to the UFC‘s middleweight championship, will return to the Octagon to face Cung Le at UFC 148. Cote takes the place of Rich Franklin who agreed to step in for the injured Vitor Belfort and meet Wanderlei Silva at UFC 147 a few weeks earlier.

Cote (17-7) lost his last three outings in the UFC starting with a defeat to middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Since then “The Predator” has won four straight including a recent opening round knockout of Gustavo Machado.

Comparably, Le (7-2) dropped his UFC debut to “The Axe Murderer” last year after wowing fans in Strikeforce where he held the middleweight belt.

MMAJunkie confirmed with sources that verbal agreements are in place for the Cote-Le match though nothing official has been announced. Their match-up will serve as a featured fight at the July 7 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena with other notable pairings including Silva-Chael Sonnen and Urijah Faber-Renan Barao.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/STRIKEFORCE

• hindsightufuk says:

he’s one four straight, guess you can see why.
    i can honestly say i have zero interest in seeing this fight though, just couldnt care less. is there really nothing more appealing they can put together? and this will be on the main card too
    gone from being a co headliner to barely worthy of the prelims

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Unfortunate we live in a world where a bout between two accomplished strikers known for finishing opponents, one of whom is a former Strikeforce champ and the other a former UFC title-contender, is considered unappealing.

• hindsightufuk says:

we also live in a world where 5 round fights between two acclomplished wrestlers is considered beyond dull (Rashid/Davis), and where fights between two bjj players doesnt have enough striking.
    i have no interest in the fight because i never cared for Cote, just my opinion.

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah, sorry, but I like this fight — and not just because I cheer for almost all Canadians.

Cote didn’t look so hot when he last left the UFC. I was pissed at the end of his fight with Anderson; not because I thought he was winning, but because the injury that took Cote out was the most damage he took in the whole fight. I’ve always wanted a definitive conclusion to that bout; the reasons I will likely never see it mainly centre around Silva’s potentially limited number of fights left in his career.

If Cote delivers an ungodly beatdown to Cung Le, then at least we have someone riding a good win streak, and a former title contender “in the mix”.

All that aside, I agree with Brendhan; Cote may not be a name on everyone’s mind, but matching him up against a striker like Cung Le is a recipe for an exciting fight.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I sort of see what you’re saying though that’s the first time I’ve seen someone equate a fight between two strikers/finishers to one between two wrestlers known for outpointing opponents.

• fanoftna33 says:

I understand that Hindsight isnt interested, but I freking LOVE this fight, I am a big fan of both guys. I think Cote has one of the sturdiest chins at MW and Cung has some of the best striking ( although his chin isnt that great). Should be a fun fight and even though it might not lead anybody to a title shot it is still a win in the UFC.

• MCM says:

I never cared for Cote either, but I like Le. This fight won’t make or brake a card for me, but if it’s on I’ll watch it.

• fanoftna33 says:

I became a huge Cote fan after that KO of Groove, man that was a thing of beauty, and not because I am a Groove hater I like him also, just a perfect Ko.

• Lord Faust says:

Pfft, thumbs down. Is it only American soldiers that get unconditional love?