Shane Carwin medically cleared, wants to fight this fall

It’s been almost a year since fans last saw Shane Carwin compete inside the Octagon with his last appearance involving a defeat to Junior dos Santos this past June. Since then Carwin has been forced to undergo back surgery, nearly ending his career prematurely at 37-years old.

Now, the ex-NCAA Div. II national wrestling champion has been cleared to resume full contact training, and Carwin wasted little time in attempting to schedule his return to the ring.

“I informed UFC Matchmaker (Joe Silva) that I would like to fight in early fall 2012,” wrote Carwin on his own personal website. “I would like to be able to fight every three or four months. Barring injury I intend to leave the UFC Octagon and head back to the Grudge Training Center to continue the climb.”

Carwin (12-2) added, “I am 100% and I feel like a younger version of my former self. The UFC should look into adding some padding in the gloves because I plan on crushing my opponents.”

Since making his UFC debut in 2008, Carwin has earned four first round knockout victories. However, he has since dropped his last two fights with the stumbles coming to Dos Santos and Brock Lesnar.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

Carwin/Big foot?

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Sounds good but, isn’t Bigfoot on 6 month medical suspension?

Roy Nelson is free as is Struve. Miocic came out fairly unscathed. Everyone else injured and he doesn’t deserve a shot at JDS at this point.

• Lord Faust says:

I’d like to see Bigfoot get a win first, but that’s just me.

I think Nelson / Carwin would be a good scrap. I think Miocic might get smashed; I think Carwin’s a bigger / better version of Stipe. Shane has way more KO power, and they’re both accomplished wrestlers.

Either way, I want to see the scariest guy with an engineering degree back in the cage. I still can’t fathom how he took all those punches from JDS for three rounds.

• THEGUNNER says:

Big nog vs carwin. Why not?

• MCM says:

Forgot about the suspension.
    I like Carwin/Struve or Carwin/Browne. Miocic is still too early and Nelson needs to win at least 1 more IMO, before he starts taking on top 10ers again.

• Richard Stabone says:

“I would like to be able to fight every three or four months.”

I like the mindset, but pretty much every fighter says this & most end up fortunate to get a couple fights per year.

Gotta love Shane. I ike this for its cheesy but serious tone.

It’d be great to see Shane make some noise again in the HW division but I’d say the odds are stacked against him. He hasn’t picked up a victory in over two years, and by the time he’s back in the octagon he’ll be pushing 38 years old. To top it off, he’s coming off separate surgeries for his neck & back. He’s definitely got his work cut out for him but the dude does seem motivated.

As far as his first fight back, given the factors I mentioned above it feels like he needs to be somewhat eased back into things, but at the same time he doesn’t have time to mess around at this stage of his career. Nelson or Miocic sounds about right. Or Fedor. Heh heh.

• trupert says:

From what I read, Hunt’s knee is not too bad and the timing would be right for his training and Carwin’s come back time frame.
    I say:
    Carwin vs Hunt
    Struve vs Stipe (winner of this fights winner of above for next in line after JDS fights Werdum/Russow winner, then whatever they do with Cain and Overeem)

Mir vs Bigfoot (winner fights Browne vs Rothwell winner….though Big Country vs Rothwell/Browne winner would be marketable.)

and Roy Nelson vs Big Nog/Kongo winner. Nelson hasn’t fought either and the winner would be on par with Nelson (last fight a win, one before that a loss)

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Whatever, Carwin/Nelson. Someone who can stand up to Carwin’s power, is clear to fight, is always exciting, can prove whether or night Carwin still belongs…..you are all high. Carwin/Nelson, winner gets the loser of JDS/CAIN, loser gets Brock’s return.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Whether or not. Sorry, I got excited. I want to see that fight, haha.

• jeref says:

I think Carwin/Nelson definitely … they’ve both proven they can take 3 rounds of punishment, so make it a 5 round main event.

Not holding my breath…Happy that Carwin’s health is better but the guy is 37 with a fucked up back… I don’t think 100% will really ever be the figure he’s really at… 2 fights and retirement is what predict.

• Lord Faust says:

I hope not, but that’s the safe bet considering known facts. Surgeries are such common things now, I think their overall impact on athletes is not acknowledged as much as it should.