Michael Bisping cheering for Chael Sonnen at UFC 148 for personal reasons

Michael Bisping will likely be rooting for Chael Sonnen when his polarizing peer takes on UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva next month at UFC 148. However, his stance has nothing to do with Bisping being a fan of Sonnen’s – it has to do with where he stands in the division.

UFC President Dana White’s endorsement after a razor-thin loss to Sonnen earlier this year along with a talk with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva have “The Count” feeling good about his standing with a Sonnen victory.

“(Joe Silva) said it all depends on what happens between Sonnen and Anderson. He said if Anderson wins, I might be sitting around for a while,” revealed Bisping in a recent interview with ESPN. “So *IF* Chael wins, I might get to fight (for the title). But I haven’t been told anything official.”

Of course, Bisping must also get past Tim Boetsch when the two square off at UFC 149 for the situation to truly come into play.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• moosebaby02 says:

beating Boetsch should give u a title shot no matter who wins between Spider n Sonnen

• moosebaby02 says:

should not

• mcwtlg says:

Bisping- Sonnen II is not a match that will draw much of a crowd in my opinion. It is sort of rooting for the lesser of two evils. No one cares if either man wins but everyone wants to see Sonnen make another run at Silva. It is a win-win for the matchmakers.

I want to see Bisping/Sonnen go at it again… Sonnen barely edged him out. I dislike both men but when shit comes to shove I’ll root for Bisping over Sonnen any day.

With that said…
    Sonnen’s testosterone levels when he fought Silva were at 16.9:1. The CSAC allows for up to 4:1 & NSAC allows 6:1…… ( avg male testosterone ratio is 1:1). Soooo if Sonnen comes in at 6:1 or 4:1 he will not be the man he was when he pushed Silva to the limits for 4 rounds, matter of fact he will be lucky he makes it to the 2nd round.

Sonnen had a testosterone level of nearly 17 times that of a normal man, and still got subbed.

God I can’t wait for Silva to break him.

• MCM says:

@mcwtig
    I said no one wanted to see Bisping/Sonnen back when it was only rumored to be a possibility. “Who wants to see those two heels go at it?”
    I got thumbs downed faster than anyone in 5oz history. I don’t think people care for the fight much (all though it would be a good fight) but they want to hear weeks of smack talk coming from these two. The two of them verbally going at it is almost as entertaining a prospect as routing for one to finish the other. The fact that both have such a huge following of haters make it that much more enjoyable when one of them loses.

on a personal note, I think Bisping would give AS fits in the striking department.

• Think so mcm? I don’t but the count is a superb striker and on the right night I think that’s not an impossibility. I think Belcher would be a bigger problem. Now that he’s hit his groove from power bombing Cote on his face to outgrappling Toqhino that kid is looking scary lately.

• Richard Stabone says:

I don’t see how/why Bisping’s striking would be any more problematic for Silva than guys like Franklin, Hendo or Belfort.

The Count might be a bit more technical than those other guys but also less power… and striking exchanges with Silva don’t tend to last very long.

• Richard Stabone says:

But as superdave suggested, I could see Belcher as a realistic threat in the near future. He’s loaded with talent, as his moniker suggests, and he’s at a point where he’s healthy and really putting all those tools together well in the octagon. And at age 28, he figures to be in his prime while Anderson, let’s face it, is getting up there in age. Anderson has toyed with the MW division; from here on out I’d say his toughest opponent will be Father Time, and I do not expect he’ll still be holding the belt by the time he’s blowing out 40 candles.

• MCM says:

Bisping has better TDD, avoids the clinch and is more accurate with his strikes than Franklin. He has better accuracy and throws way more strikes than Hendo. And he’s on par with accuracy with Belfort, but he doesn’t get hit near as much and has a better chin and cardio.
    No, he doesn’t have the power of those guys, but he’d be the most accurate/technical fighter Silva has ever faced. And accuracy/technicality + power is what has made AS so amazing.
    I just think it’d be a good stand up fight. I don’t think Bisping would win though.