Bellator signs former heavyweight contender Brett Rogers

Bellator has received a lot of criticism regarding the talent and depth in their heavyweight division and now appears to be trying to do something about it as the fight promotion has signed Brett Rogers. Rogers will debut on June 22 against an unnamed opponent at Bellator 72 in Chester, West Virginia.

After winning his first ten fights, including a  knockout victory over Andrei Arlovski, Rogers ran into trouble inside the cage and outside of it. He was charged with domestic violence stemming from an incident where his wife was found bloody/beaten before being released by Strikeforce. The one-time Sam’s tire repairer is also just 1-4 in his last five fights including losses to Fedor Emelianenko, Josh Barnett and Alistair Overeem.

“I am incredibly thanks to (Bellator CEO) Bjorn Rebney and Bellator for giving me and my family this opportunity,” Rogers said. “I feel that I am still one of the top heavyweights in the sport, and now i have the opportunity to prove it with Bellator.”

Rogers fought in February to a No Contest after an illegal blow to the back of his opponent’s head was said to have resulted in the subsequent stoppage.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• THEGUNNER says:

Boo for bellitor. I hope rogers gets beat down worse than he beat his wife.

• MCM says:

Bad move Bjorn. I hope whomever gets in the cage with him gets disqualified for stomping the face of a downed opponent.

Hey Brendhan, where’s the second part of MMA Criminals?

Not a fan of this aquisition….

But I am curious as to who his opponent will be….
    Is Thiago Santos still under contract with Bellator?
    Cole Konrad only fought a few mins in his last fight, & he didn’t take any damage?!?
    Seth Petruzelli is owed a fight with Bellator because his last one was called off due to the Dr. withdrawing him due to illness??

• Lord Faust says:

It took a while to get him to sign for heavyweight fights. He’s had a lot of success smashing women.

• hindsightufuk says:

yes Thiago Santos is still under contract, he would most likely crush Bretts wind pipe after he’s crushed whatever baby nuts he’s got

• Lord Faust says:

It’s amazing, the mileage he got from KO’ing Arlovsky into obscurity. That will probably end up being his biggest career moment.

Normally I try and give guys some benefit of the doubt that they turned over a new leaf, but Rogers seems oblivious to the fact he (a huge pro fighter) beat his wife into a bloody mess. I don’t even recall him addressing the incident at all.

So, fuck him.

• Richard Stabone says:

I also tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, and am all for 2nd chances cuz we all screw up. But the stuff documented in the police report was sickening and indicated that it wasn’t a first time occurrence / isolated event, and in addition to beating the hell out of his lady he has roughed up their two daughters.

So yeah, fuck Brett Rogers x2.

• MCM says:

Thumbs Down?!? I didn’t know Brett Rogers visited this site. Hey Brett….FUCK YOU!

• AlphaOmega says:

Didn’t he hit and choke his daughter as well? Knocking her teeth out? I agree with everyone else, hopefully he gets smashed and he will then go away for good.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

No, I believe the police report said he knocked his wife’s tooth out and choked her in front of their daughters.

Not a fan of the signing either. Shows how hard up Bellator is for heavyweight talent.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Whoever they put him against I really hope they have a good ground game. Someone to put him on the ground and maybe break an arm or elbow. I don’t want him to have a chance.

Fuck wife beaters.