Mauricio Rua-Brandon Vera takes main event spot at UFC on FOX 4

The recent injury to Brian Stann has forced the UFC to schedule a new main event completely for UFC on FOX 4 where the “All-American” middleweight was set to face Hector Lombard. Now, light heavyweights Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Brandon Vera will take the top billing.

UFC officials confirmed the fight, which will be a five rounder, late Tuesday night.  It remains unknown if Lombard, a former Bellator middleweight champ, will still make his debut on the August 4 card or be pulled altogether.

Rua can likely relate to Lombard after losing his original opponent for UFC 149, Thiago Silva, due to injury. The former 205-pound champ has not fought since his memorable battle with Dan Henderson this past November.

The 12-5 Vera was removed from a fight with James Te Huna at UFC on Fuel 4. He has also been out of action since 2011 when he outpointed Eliot Marshall at UFC 137.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

Talk about failing upwards…

I have no reason to think that Shogun isn’t going to lay down a beating here.

Poor Vera….. but no worries after what Bones & Thiago did to his face Brandon has the contact info for the best surgeons in town.

Not a fan of this match up in general…but I’m also really not sure why Zuffa thinks this is going to draw viewers to tune into FOX.

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah doesnt seem too exciting to me, Brandon Vera in a main event? even a free one? after his last shit fest with Elliot marshall? Appreciate Shogun is a big name and exciting fighter, but this doesnt have sell on it to me.
    but theni really dislike Vera, one of the most over rated fighters the UFC has tried to sell us as one of the best in the world.
    wheres War Machine at

• fanoftna33 says:

Damm it thats two good fighters, Fitch first now Vera that I was excited to see fight live, hope Munoz and Weidman still make the card in july.

• fanoftna33 says:

But id does look like Lombard will still be fighting, he is taking on Botsch as Bisping also has a injury.

• Lord Faust says:

The downside of health insurance. (I think it’s a good thing; I’d rather see cards shuffled like this than have guys go in with injuries and then put on shit fights.)

• AlphaOmega says:

Lombard called out Bisping on twitter, and now its announced Bisping is hurt..somewhat suspicious.

• AlphaOmega says:

With so many people getting hurt here lately, I bet the UFC is praying that AS and Chael stay healthy.

• Richard Stabone says:

A main event featuring Brandon Vera is a complete joke, free card or not. He hasn’t done anything to impress during the past 5 years. Just stupid that this is headlining one of the few cards throughout the year that takes place on free non-cable TV. What a dud.

And not much else to help bolster the card. Sounds like Lombard is being moved. Even if he did stay on this card, Boetsch just doesn’t feel like the right matchup for his debut. Yeah I get that injuries have put them in a bind, but delay his debut until a better pairing can be made. The UFC doesn’t do a good job drumming up these top fighters when they’re making their splash into the UFC. Seems like wasted opportunity.

Back to the FOX card, Machida vs. Bader is neither interesting nor marketable.

They orginally had Phil Davis set to fight Griggs, which was also a ridiculous matchup.

I guess Browne-Rothwell could be decent.

Lauzon vs. Etim should be pretty damn good but when that’s the matchup I’m most looking forward to on a FOX card (or any card for that matter, but *especially* a FOX card)… not good.

• THEGUNNER says:

Im still waiting for vera to get the hw and lhw belts at the same time. What a joke.

• MCM says:

Wow. You guys are a bunch of whiners. ;)
    Vera may have had a bad showing against Elliot, but whether hes getting his face smashed in or kicking like Dhalsim, he puts on pretty entertaining fights. Shogun on the other hand has been one of the biggest disappointments from the entire PRIDE acquisition. Outside of Machida and Hendo, he hasn’t looked good at all in his 8 UFC fights. (IMO) Either way Vera is gonna step up and shock the MMA world or the casuals are gonna get to see the beat down they’ve been waiting for.

Plus you’ve got the return of Mike Swick, two top 10 LHW looking to move up to title contention, possibly THE top 205 prospect making his UFC debut, and a giant KO artist vs a giant granite chin.

Is it the best cared in the world? No. But it’s FREE.

• Lord Faust says:

My only beef with Vera in the main event is that he’s been woefully disappointing as of late. I never bought into the crazy hype he had surrounding him in his early UFC days, but I saw potential; who knows what happened, but that has since evaporated.

My biggest fear is this ends up being one of those Shogun fights where he comes in with less motivation than usual. Like the first Forrest fight, or the Coleman bout. Really, that’s Vera’s only hope, IMO — that Shogun writes him off as a UFC charity case who doesn’t belong in the cage with him.

Given this is the result of a rash of injuries, I can live with it. Still, this is a strict downgrade to the Shogun / T. Silva fight initially scheduled.

• Kamakosmo says:

GAWD! Vera is gonna try and clinch Rua up against the cage for as long as he can. I hope Rua makes very short work of him.

• darth_irritable says:

Is it just me, or does Vera look like Telly Savalas in that pic?

• fanoftna33 says:

Well said MCM, Except for the Couture fight win or lose Vera puts on a good show, remember how he smashed Mir????????
    And I feel this is a perfect fight for Lombard as he is now a huge favorite and going in and smashing Boestche will prove he belongs, but if Tim wins he has 2 wins in a row over high level guys and makes a huge statement.
    Not to mention the fact that we get to see Shogun Freaking Rua for FREE

• Lord Faust says:

I think the Boestch fight will be more competitive than people think. They both have good Judo and Boestch definitely lives up to his nickname, The Barbarian.

I think Lombard is correctly favoured, but don’t count out Tim. Okami did, after owning him for two rounds, and took an involuntary nap.

• Richard Stabone says:

Vera beat Mir over 5 years ago, and that’s when Frank was in the early stages of returning to the cage from the motorcyle accident that broke his femur and shredded his knee ligaments. Frank looked like crap that first year back (understandably so).

Since then, Vera hasn’t accomplished anything of significance (in the context of the upper tier of the LHW division).

And I’ll say a bit more about the Machida-Bader matchup lacking intrigue for me. Machida is a really good fighter, and reached the top of the LHW mountain when he KO’d Rashad to grab the belt. But at this point he’s a guy who’s lost 3 of his last 4 fights. In other words, he’s already reached the top and is on his way back down.

Not much different for Bader, as his (IMO overrated) climb up the rankings was thwarted by back-to-back drubbings from Jones & Tito. A win over Machida would restore a glimmer of hope for his title aspirations… but I wouldn’t count on that happening.

The UFC has had a tough run of luck lately. They’re in another one of those funks where it seems like a new guy is falling to injury each week. It obviously throws a major wrench into plans, particularly for these bouts that had already been contracted, so I don’t mean to be overly critical. A lot of it is due to plain ol’ shitty luck. Bottom line, though, I think this 4th FOX card is just stacking up as a dud.

Ironically, the UFC might have caught a break with Griggs getting hurt, as their orginal booking of Davis-Griggs didn’t make sense to me from any angle. So maybe the Davis-Prado matchup will work out better… Prado-Griggs seems like a better pairing, but this will have to do.

• Richard Stabone says:

Oh, and I meant to chime in again on Boetsch… he’s got a shot at winning, it’s just not the sexy matchup to really make a splash with Lombard’s UFC debut.

Somwhat selfishly, I just think his first fight in the octagon should have been against another more pure striker… Wanderlei, Belfort, Leben, even Cung Le as I think someone mentioned on here the other day. But I know a lot of those weren’t realistic options given injuries, suspension, etc.

• MCM says:

“Bottom line, though, I think this 4th FOX card is just stacking up as a dud.” – Boner.

I get where you’re coming from, but honestly, is it anymore of a dud than the card this weekend?
    2 former wold champs and 3 top prospects in the marque division of the UFC vs Might Mouse and Uncle Creepy with a bunch of guys no ones ever heard of.
    I probably wouldn’t pay for FOX 4, but it’s pretty damn good for a free card.

• Lord Faust says:

If there are fights on, and I have attention to spare, I watch ‘em.

Any complaints about fight card quality are generally with regards to marketing to the overall MMA fanbase.

Hell, I’d watch two guys scrap in an empty gym. I just love watching fights.