B.J. Penn: I am going to go to the belly of the beast and see a fire-breathing dragon and take out my sword.”

During his hiatus from action, B.J. Penn stated time after time he really was happy with retirement. “The Prodigy” was training when he wanted, hanging out with his family, and working out around Hawaii like he enjoys. However, when Rory MacDonald came calling, Penn couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

The former UFC champion told Just Scrap Radio earlier this week that a desire to complete his current contract also helped his decision.

“I’m just coming back and doing this fight and I am pretty sure this is the last fight on my contract,” Penn said. “I will have to go back and check, but I think this is the last fight on my contract. I would like to finish out my contract.”

While many believed Penn could be the central figure to an event in Hawaii, he has no problems heading to MacDonald’s territory of Toronto for the UFC 152 bout. The actual date/location of the match-up has not been confirmed by the UFC yet.

“I am going to go to the belly of the beast,” Penn said. “I just want to go over there and take care of this. I am going to go to the belly of the beast and see a fire-breathing dragon and take out my sword.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

Great match up here, Rory is in for a tough fight and he will feel the pressure if B J is truly motivated for this. Cant see Rory winning on the feet but mayby trying to grind it out on the floor.

• AlphaOmega says:

The fact that BJ is admitting he took the fight just cuz its the last on his contract, kinda hints that he’s not that motivated.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is kind of misleading, B J really said a lot about how hard he is training and that this was his last fight and he wanted to honor the contract not skip out on it early, thats the feeling I got.

• JBAR says:

Swordfighting a fire breathing dragon??? I think B.J. has been hitting the paodi and is on a vision quest. :) Why the sudden change of heart, wouldn’t the fight with Kos have fulfilled his contract?

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Last night on MMA Uncensored he said it also had to do with wanting to beat a guy from TriStar.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I’m hoping BJ does well in this fight but, I just have a feeling this might not end well.

It is really hard to know where his head is at. He always says the right things before the fight.

The fight against Diaz was supposed to the best BJ ever if you believe the hype.

• moosebaby02 says:

OF COURSE he wants to beat a TRISTAR fighter. Look what happened to him the last time he face one. Deep down i knew it had something to do with this. This fight makes no sense except for pride and even that is never enough.
    R.I.P BJ

• Bj. Has also stated that intrigue plays a big part in his return and what could be more intriguing than a monster kid who has shown no weakness other than out cardioing him throwing him on his back and breaking his face? Personally I think Rory should start fighting the ellenbergers Fitchs koschecks and kampmanns of the division rather than a vet with a losing record at.170 but this IS a test like condit was in the same respect of heart. Penn like Carlos wont quit until its over. This will either be a mauling by Rory or a very competitive fight.