twitter google

Junior dos Santos’ team thinks rematch with Cain Velasquez unlikely for UFC 152

One of the coaches for UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos has said a planned rematch with Cain Velasquez will not happen at UFC 152 as had been rumored. The card is scheduled for September 22 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Yuri Carlton, who works with Dos Santos as part of the Brazilian heavyweight’s team, feels like a hand injury suffered by Velasquez in his win over Antonio Silva makes the former title-holder’s return by the required date nearly impossible.

“The fight is with Velasquez, but no definite date,” said Carlton in a recent interview with Fighter’s Only Magazine. “It was speculated for September, but that is unreal. Velasquez is also with a broken hand, it’s not resolved, so I think the UFC will wait a little longer.”

However, one of Velasquez’s trainers – Javier Mendez – has refuted the claim, talking to The Score and saying, “Cain told the doc after his fight that his front knuckle was bruised and all they did was give him a slip that he needed an X-ray before being cleared. Standard commission practice is all that happened and they gave him a six-month suspension until he has his X-ray to clear him. He has no injuries other than the bruise and even sparred on Monday.”

Carlton mentioned either November or December as the likely date for the rematch with Vazquez sticking with UFC 152. Dos Santos knocked out Velasquez last year to claim the UFC belt.