Tito Ortiz is officially Hall of Fame bound

When UFC 148 rolls around in early July the headlining tilt between middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen will get the bulk of the public’s attention, but a far more significant moment than any single fight will also be taking place on the same card as iconic Mixed Martial Artist Tito Ortiz enters the Octagon for the final time as a competitor. Ortiz has spent his entire fifteen-year career under the UFC banner where he was a longtime title-holder and one of the company’s biggest draws.

When the former “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” steps foot inside the infamous eight-sided cage he will also do so as a member of the UFC’s Hall of Fame. MMAWeekly confirmed the 37-year old’s induction with UFC President Dana White on Tuesday afternoon. The ceremony will take place during the Fan Expo attached to the event.

“He pound for pound was doing some of the most damage at a time when we were hurting…He’s definitely a part of the history of the sport,” said the appreciative executive and one-time rival of Ortiz’s.

The 16-10 Ortiz fights Forrest Griffin at UFC 148 in the completion of a trilogy between the two with each having split Split Decisions in their previous meetings. Other notches on Ortiz’s professional belt include Ken Shamrock, Wanderlei Silva, and Vitor Belfort.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

I was a fan of Tito…then I wasn’t… now I ‘am again. My up and down favoring of him is mostly due to his persona and how he conducted business.

I think the HOF nod is deserved for his early contributions to the sport and to the company.

• Im still not a huge fan of Tito as a fighter, I find his style both boring and one dimensional and he likes to hype fights with trash talk that I find unneccesary, however as a man I like Tito. He seems to have a genuine love for his fans and appreciation for their support. Every time Ive read an article from a person who had the chance to meet him while a fight wasnt being hyped has told me that he was the picture of professionalism and humility a friendly guy who once offered half of his post fight sandwich to everyone at his private after party just because he felt rude to be eating in front of everyone. He’s earned his spot and whether you think he’s a douche or an icon, the fact remains he carried zuffa when noone else could or would’ve, he’s been the fan favorite, the heel and everything in between. I wont be taking him in this fight, but if this is his final final fight, Im appreciative of what he has done for OUR sport, as this is one of the few sports that still primarily belongs to the fans and not the advertisers.

• Angry Mike says:

Tito has a God-given gift for shooting himself in the foot. There’s a real good chance he’ll do or say something that makes his exit seem graceless.

• THEGUNNER says:

Titos never been unconcious in the cage and has faced almost every great fighter in the lw division.if colemans in titos got to be in.

• Lord Faust says:

I doubt Tito will mess this up, he’s seemingly been on good terms with the UFC ever since he came back.

He was one of the most dominant champions in history and, like Gunner says, has never been complete KTFO. Given who he’s fought, that’s pretty impressive.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

With Tito Jackson in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,
    Tito Santana in the WWE Hall of Fame,
    and now Tito Ortiz in the UFC Hall of Fame,
    as soon as Tito Puente gets into a Hall of Fame I think I can die a happy man.
    (He’s on a couple of Walk of Fames, but that ain”t quite the same,IMO.

Are there currently any other Tito’s that deserve this kind of recognition?
    Or any Hall of Fame Tito’s I”m missing?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Pardon me.
    Upon further review,I’ve learned that Tito Puente is in fact in the Grammy Hall of Fame.
    So technically, after the UFC 148 Fan Expo, my life will be complete.

Congratulations to Tito Ortiz for what he did for the sport.
    I’m still hoping and predicting a Griffin spoiler though.

• Richard Stabone says:

Terry “Tito” Francona was elected to the College Baseball Hall of Fame just last year.

Lots of Titos covering the hallowed walls of various Hall of Fame buildings & exhibits.

• Angry Mike says:

I’m a huge fan of Titos. The more of ‘em, the better.

• Lord Faust says:

This thread is awesome. That is all.

• MCM says:

My pic looks like a Tito.

MCM who is that man with the glorious mane in your pic?

• MCM says:

No idea. I just saw the pic and it spoke to me.

• Richard Stabone says:

That pic looks like it could be The Mouth of the South Jimmy Hart in his younger days. Or perhaps one of Jimmy’s bastards.

haha never made that connection… thanks rich it makes MCMs pic that much more awesome.

• MCM says:

I always thought of him as a more Macho version of Menudo. But with those piercing, piercing eyes.

hahahahaa……look up a guy by the name of Walter Mercado he was a puerto rican astrologer/ psychic….. In the 80s my grandmother would always have the spanish channel univision on and he would have these crazy 1800 psychic commercials and I swear he looked like a Dirty blonde version of the guy in your photo… The word Flamboyant does this man no justice…. I’m telling you look him up it’s worth the laugh.

• MCM says:

Whoa. Dude, that’s a chic in man drag.

It’s gotta be.

hahahhaaaaa in the 80’s he had alot less plastic surgery and more of a mullet hair do…. yeah these days he just looks like a plastic drag queen.

• Richard Stabone says:

You’re telling me that thing has a penis?

hahahaaa you should hear him carry on in spanish… When I was a kid the infomercials this guy did were the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen at the time and my grandmother would refuse to change the channel so I would sit there listening to this puerto rican liberace wizard go on and on in these outrageous outfits while I’m sitting there helpless playing with my He-Man figures.

• MCM says:

You think Tito Ortiz cares that his retirement announcement has been eclipsed by psychic trannies and Mexican mullets?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

In hopes of steering this thread back in the right direction, here is a Tito fun fact from Wikipedia –

Jacob Christopher Ortiz was born to Samuel and Joyce Ortiz. He received his nickname “Tito,” which means tyrant, from his father when he was a year old.

I too am mesmerized by the eyes in MCM’s avatar.
    As we all know , stare into the eyes of the avatar and you are staring into the man behind it.

The hair masterpiece deserves it’s own website.

Please post Tito fun facts here.
    And I dare you to look away from MCM’s avatar.