Ultimate Fighter done with “live” format after single season

When the Ultimate Fighter returns this fall the long-running reality series will do so with a far more familiar look than was the case this past season. According to UFC President Dana White, the show is set to revert back to its old format this September instead of featuring live fights and week-by-week summaries of the past week’s in-house action as was the case on TUF 15.

The decision to make the change was explained by White in a conversation with Yahoo Sports where it appeared logistics were at the root of things more so than ratings. Though TUF 15 did not draw numbers as strong as past seasons on Spike TV the program still did extremely well in key demographics compared to other offerings on television.

While TUF 16 will air on Friday nights as its predecessor did, White also mentioned he’d been promised an option to move it to Tuesdays or Wednesdays if things aren’t up to his standards this time around, as well as that the upcoming season will feature welterweights and casting starts in early July.

Coaches for TUF 16 have yet to be announced.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

lot of people dont like the Friday night fixture, and TUF is hardly worth giving up your Friday night if you’re 18-30 (i’m way past it)
    doesnt help having two coaches lacking a great deal of charisma, personality or spark. interesting guys for sure, and consumate professionals, but that doesnt make money.
    at this stage unless its a comeback season or the coaches are high on my interest list, i doubt i’ll be watching. the first couple of shows are entertaining but they get old real quick

I don’t think the Live format was as much of a problem as the fact that it was on friday night… I barely watched but the Live fights I thought was a cool feature… I dunno maybe like it says in the article the logistics of doing it live are the issue…maybe live production is too cumbersome for them at this time…?

• Angry Mike says:

I never watched it live, anyway. I had to record it and watch it later. Even if I could’ve watched it live, I would have recorded it in order to fast forward through the ads. There seemed to be an unusually large number of them.

• MCM says:

The “live format” was a huge problem out on the West coast, ’cause it was never Live. It was tape delayed till 11pm PST. 11pm on a Friday night in two of the biggest fight towns for the UFC (Vegas and L.A.). They even tape delayed the damn TUF finale. I guess I wouldn’t have minded so much if every other sentence out of their mouths wasn’t “And we’re LIVE!”.

oooh forgot about the west coast viewers… yeah I guess that doesn’t make sense.

• Directtv handles that live problem for me :)

• THEGUNNER says:

Id like to see another comeback season with known fighters battling for their jobs or a title shot.