Carlos Condit thinks TRT is often connected to past steroid use

28-year old UFC welterweight Carlos Condit is the latest fighter to express concern about the increased presence of testosterone replacement therapy in Mixed Martial Arts. Though completely legal as long as levels are regulated and a doctor has prescribed the treatment, many argue TRT gives athletes an advantage by allowing them to continue training/competing at a high level despite the natural effects of getting older.

Condit spoke about the subject in a recent interview with Gracie Mag where he explained the rationale behind his problem with TRT, especially in the case of fighters who should not necessarily need it based on age.

“I think it’s a slippery slope, you know what I mean? You let guys start using testosterone and it’s – where does it end,” asked Condit rhetorically. “I wonder, especially for younger guys, I know Frank Mir’s a little bit older and of course your testosterone levels kind of dip as you get older, but some of these younger guys…guys maybe in their late twenties and thirties using testosterone replacement therapy…I wonder why is their testosterone low in the first place? And my theory is they may have been using something in the past, because when you use steroids, your body, after you get off has a hard time bringing yourself up to natural levels.”

Mir, who is 33, received an exemption for TRT leading up to his May 26 title-fight with heavyweight king Junior dos Santos.

“I don’t know man. I’m not going to judge anybody, but that’s just, that’s not – I got to where I am without ever using any performance enhancing drugs,” the interim champion continued. “I love MMA because of the purity of the sport and I think it just muddies the water when you start throwing stuff like that in there.”

The “Natural Born Killer” concluded by acknowledging the responsibility to address the matter truly lies with athletic commissions and UFC executives rather than himself, adding, “Personally I have to just continue with what’s worked for me, and that’s just being clean.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Just glad it’s not Just Roy Nelson talking about this stuff… HW Champ JDS spoke out recently about wanting Overeem tested if he’s going to fight him and now another champ ( interim) in Condit speaking out about this shit… It’s gonna ruin the intergrity of the sport if DW/ Zuffa and the commissions don’t tighten the system up.

• AlphaOmega says:

Franklin spoke out too about how he was offered TRT because his levels are a little lower due to his age, and about how he turned it down.

• Richard Stabone says:

PEDs in general are a slippery slope. Obviously not all PEDs are illegal. All fighters use some form of supplements; the tricky part is figuring out where to draw the line between what’s considered *clean* and what’s *dirty*. And with new stuff always right around the corner, it’s just an ongoing game where the UFC/Athletic commission is essentially chasing its tail.

It’s not that the other major pro sports, such as the NFL, are really that clean… they’ve just put reasonable measures in place where guys have to be more careful about how/what/when they use, and when a few of the bumbling idiots inevitably get caught, that’s a good thing for the sport in terms of PR as it makes people buy into the notion that the system is working.

And managing the PR angle is what it really comes down to for Dana. He’s a promoter/business man, looking to grow the sport and make as much money as possible. So as long as there’s not much uproar from the fans/media, and guys aren’t experiencing obvious signs/complications associated with PED use, all is well for Dana & Company. Reminds me of his recent comments, where he basically said, “Go back and count how many fights there have been since I took over, and the number of guys failing tests is a tiny percentage.”

Well, yeah. The number of guys getting caught is really low. That’s what these pro sports leagues care about. And I can’t say I blame them all that much… like the war on drugs in general, it’s a never-ending battle that is impossible to win. You can pour tons of $$ into it, and make some gains, but where’s the point of diminishing returns for a business? It’s the point when the fans/media shut up about it… ignorance is bliss.

• Lord Faust says:

Dana should be wary of repeating that quote, “only a few guys have been caught on my watch”. That comment cuts two ways, eh.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

blah blah blah. Think you for your educated medical input Dr. Condit. Now if you will please STFU and defend the belt you danced around and avoided fighting for 25 minutes to earn.

• king mah mah says:

Yeah Condit wouldn’t know what it’s like to need a little boost to help himself get over an injury when he avoids all contact in octagon! Who gives a shit what this baby leg kicking bitch has to say?! Besides he has no evidence or experience with trt to even comment on it. Its just a guess on his part.

• king mah mah says:

Oh yeah, he said he “got to the point where he doesnt use PED’s.” So he used to use them but now he does better without them? What the hell is this guy talking about?

• king mah mah says:

Oh my bad, I read that wrong. Sorry I just dont like condit anymore.