Rousimar Palhares paired with Yushin Okami at UFC 150

A rare situation involving an injured fighter’s replacement making for a more intriguing match-up unfolded earlier today when the UFC announced Luiz Cane had withdrawn from a bout at UFC 150 against Yushin Okami and was replaced by feared submission-specialist Rousimar Palhares. Palhares and Okami are both coming off strike-based stoppages and are both in need of a big win to re-establish their place in the UFC’s middleweight division.

Also announced for the August 11 card was a featherweight fight between Max Holloway and TUF 15’s Justin Lawrence.

The 26-7 Okami was last seen falling to Tim Boetsch in one of the year’s best comebacks this past February. Prior to the stumble he’d also lost by way of knockout to champion Anderson Silva after earning a title-shot with three straight wins including those over Nate Marquardt and Mark Munoz.

Meanwhile, Palhares’ BJJ wizardry wasn’t enough for him to beat Alan Belcher last month at UFC on FOX 3. He holds an overall record of 14-4 including ten submissions. Interestingly enough, Okami has yet to tap-out in his career.

UFC 150 is headlined by lightweight champ Benson Henderson putting his gold up for grabs against former divisional king Frankie Edgar. Other fights scheduled for the show include Thiago Tavares-Dennis Hallman and Ed Herman-Jake Shields.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

Two of my favorite MW’s (well I’m still pissed off at Okami for not showing up to the Silva fight). I really hope Toqohino works hard on his stand up as that’s where this fight in gonna take place. My money? Okami by UD.

• Okami by tko. I think Tree stump got rattled by the fact he was outgrappled by Belcher and Okami is such a strong intelligent fighter that palhares will lose composure when he can’t submit Yushin quickly and wind up gettin pounded out in the second. Welcome to the.upper tier Toquinho.

• THEGUNNER says:

Other than the silva sonnes card up till september thats the only one im intrested in watching. The free cards seem better than the ppv cards.

• Lord Faust says:

I really hope Okami gets…. STUMPED!

I heard that Palhares was sick leading up to the Belcher fight, and in an interview he stated that he gassed out after the first submission attempt. Either way, I hope the Belcher fight was a blip.

Okami may be mentally done after Anderson made him look like a chump and then Boestch’s amazing comeback certainly cannot have been good for the ego.

Regardless, I am intrigued by this match up.

• joe mo mma says:

Seems like a bad match up for Paul Harris here. Okami’s wrestling and TDD are going to nullify the Brazilian’s take down attempts. and when the stump gases, Okami will probably get the UD with his striking abilities. This doesn’t mean that Ill be rooting against Paul Harris tho.. I hope he pulls off the scissor leg take down into a heel hook finish. HAH!

Love me some Rousimar…
    I’ll take the tree stump Paul Harris for the win… He let a leg getaway last time so he’s hungry for a limb.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think this is going to be a very exciting fight, both guys are so strong and great grapplers in there own way. If it ends early it is all Rousimar but if it goes the distance it is Okami by UD, personally i see Okami getting subbed here.