Dan Hardy draws Amir Sadollah as UFC on Fuel 5 adversary

Rumor became reality overnight when UFC welterweight Dan Hardy’s presence on the organization’s September 29 stop in his hometown of Nottingham, England was confirmed along with an opponent – Amir Sadollah. Hardy is among the bevy of British fighters scheduled for the card including Brad Pickett, Che Mills, and Paul Sass.

MMAFighting was first to report the UFC on Fuel 5 match-up.

Hardy made his way back into the win column last month at UFC 146 with a knockout of Duane Ludwig after teetering on the brink of being released due to a quartet of consecutive losses. “The Outlaw” improved his record to 24-10 with the performance, his twelfth win by way of a strike-based stoppage. The bout will be his first in England since a 2010 stumble against Carlos Condit.

Sadollah is also coming of a victorious showing in May, beating Jorge Lopez by Split Decision. The triumph was the Ultimate Fighter 7 winner’s third in four fights.

UFC on Fuel 5 is headlined by a bout between towering heavyweight Stefan Struve and unbeaten Stipe Miocic.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

Great fight for Hardy here as Amir isnt known for his ko power, but Amir is smart and fast so this should be a pretty decent fight.

• king mah mah says:

Seems like an easy fight for hardy if you ask me. UFC Must be trying to help him out with a winning streak here. Hardy by KO.

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah kinda entertainning i guess, could think of better match ups, but it could be fun.
    still pissed about Struve/Stipe as the main event. thats a shitter.
    rest of the card will be fun

• Lord Faust says:

I think this is Hardy’s fight to lose, should be an entertaining throwdown nevertheless.

ahem ahem…. i told you guys… gift wrapped opponent coming right up.

• Richard Stabone says:

I like this matchup. I think it works well stylistically for both guys, and I expect Amir to give Hardy a tough fight, at the very least. Amir is stronger in the clinch and could rough Hardy up a bit from that position as well as when the fight hits the mat. But if Hardy is able to keep the exchanges at more of a distance then it could be a tough night for Amir. Regardless, I don’t see Hardy finishing him.

• AlphaOmega says:

Not really a fan of either, but my disliking levels is higher for Amir, so I’m hoping Hardy KO’s him. But I could see Amir getting a UD or another iffy Split instead.

• Angry Mike says:

I agree with Stabone in the sense that Amir will clinch and grind if he can, and Hardy will look to land the big bomb. Amir has a pretty good chin, so I’d bet on a decision, which could go either way, IMO.

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t want to sound like I am totally writing off Amir, but I think Hardy has way more power and after he expertly dispensed with Ludwig, I think the Brit is pulling things together. I expect Amir to put up a good fight, but I think Hardy — despite his previous mis-steps — is very talented and should win this.

• MCM says:

Thank you Richard. I thought I was the only one that saw this as a more competitive match up. Amir may not have looked like a world beater since TUF, but the guy holds good wins over pretty good competition. He’s also never been finished by anyone but #1 contender Johnny Hendricks, (and he lasted longer than Fitch ;) ). Besides, Hardy is coming off a 5 fight streak that saw him go 1-4. What level of competition should he be at? Should a guy that’s 1-4 really be in there with the like os Kos nd Rory?

• Richard Stabone says:

Besides, let’s not forget Hardy dropped 4 of his past 5 fights. Just because the UFC built him up with a relatively easy path to contendership doesn’t mean he is or ever was a legitimate contender.

Just before his 4-fight losing skid, Hardy was coming off wins over Marcus Davis and Mike Swick. For Davis the Hardy loss was part of a string of 4 outta 5 loses that earned him his pink slip from the UFC. And for Swick (the closest thing Hardy has to top-10 win in his career), he hasn’t had his arm raised in the 2.5 years since fighting Hardy.

So, c’mon now, what level of competition is Hardy supposed to be matched up with at this point? Amir is far from spectacular, but so is The Outlaw.