Fedor Emelianenko makes it three in a row with finish of Pedro Rizzo, retires from MMA

Heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko has indeed decided to hang up his gloves after one of the most impressive runs in MMA. However, despite struggling to find success in Strikeforce, he at least went out on a high note thanks to a three-fight winning streak under his belt. Emelianenko took to the ring earlier today in Russia where he faced fellow veteran Pedro Rizzo and made quick work of the 38-year old Brazilian after landing a stiff overhand right followed up by some of his famously ferocious ground-and-pound.

Officially, Emelianenko only needed 84 seconds to dispatch of the 19-10 Rizzo who himself entered the bout with a trio of consecutive victories. However, the fight was the first for Rizzo in a little less than two years and clearly the absence from competition showed.

Emelianenko improved his overall record to 34-4 with his knockout of Rizzo, the tenth of his illustrious career.

Read below for a full list of results from M-1 Presents: Fedor vs. Rizzo:

Marat Gafurov def. Mairbek Taisumov via Split Decision
Mikhail Malyutin def. Renat Gasanov via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Ramazan Emeev def. Alberta Duraeva via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Vugar Bakhshiev def. Jerome Bouisson via Submission Round 1 (Heel Hook)
Pavel Vitruk def. Radoslaw Piechnik via Unanimous Decision
Akhmed Sultanov def. Denis Goltsov via Submission Round 1 (Heel Hook)
Abdulmazhid Magomedov def. Davreka Isakova via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Musa Khamanaev def. Daniel Weichel via Submission Round 1 (Heel Hook)
Jeff Monson def. Denis Komkin via Submission Round 1 (North-South Choke)
Kenny Garner def. Guram Gugenishvill via TKO Round 3 (Doctor’s Stoppage)
Fedor Emelianenko def. Pedro Rizzo via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/M-1 GLOBAL

• fanoftna33 says:

Nice work.

• G-DUB says:

Thanks for the can …. may I have another?
    Hard to gauge for sure, but the KO looked to be more an indictment of Rizzo needing to hang’em up than it was of Fedor recapturing former glory. That being said, Fedor’s finishing ability once he has someone hurt is still well above average.
    It won’t happen, but Fedor is looking like the most logical challenge for Cormier’s +1 fight. Damn you Vadim!

• Lord Faust says:

So, to those who thought I was crazy to dismiss Rizzo…. please, watch the fight. All 80+ seconds of it.

• Lord Faust says:

The highlight of the show, by the way, was M-1′s heavily hyped Guram managing to gass out in 90 seconds.

• G-DUB says:

If a tree falls in the woods…….nobody cares about M-1 “hype” …. or M-1 for that matter. The Guram fight was a sloppy mess. Reminded me of Hunt vs. Rothwell ….. only about 10 rungs of talent lower down the ladder… and that was a title fight. Ridiculous.

• Lord Faust says:

I agree about M-1′s hype being silly, but they were running ads on Showtime. “Guram is coming!” it was comical, to say the least.

You’re not the only one thinking Hunt / Rothwell; I even asked on Twitter, during the fight, if this shit was actually happening in Denver.

• G-DUB says:

Got it LF. Just checked out the promo you speak of. It’s good for laugh after watching this performance. Might as well have been Denver …. or perhaps he can change his nickname to “Lashley”.
    One more comic turn of note ….. was it my imagination or is Puntin a bonafide midget? Can Russia find it within their state budget to buy him some lifts?? …. and I don’t think it was simply because he was standing near Valuev.

• hindsightufuk says:

Gurams fight was embarressing, he really could be a top prospect but that was awful

• Angry Mike says:

Sooner or later, every Emperor and every Empire falls. Hopefully Fedor has the good sense to stay retired so he’ll maintain his stature and legacy. Bad fights and losses after he’s past his prime would be a blemish on his record and career.

• JabCrossHook says:

Fedor had a great run while it lasted and boy did it last a decade. So far no one has been able to match…Anderson is getting close though…

• MCM says:

Nah, Anderson looks beatable. Fedor used getting suplexed as a transition for a Kimora.
    I don’t mind that he’s retiring, but I would have liked to have seen him fight either Cormier or Barnett before he left MMA. Maybe they can still make the Barnett fight happen in Japan in a year or two.

• Lord Faust says:

I would not be surprised to see him fight at New Years, although that depends if there is a major event — DREAM folded before they could get theirs off the ground.

• Richard Stabone says:

I agree it’s annoying that Fedor isn’t fighting the level of compeition as he should be (so what else is new) but it seems people often imply that he’s washed up or something, which I just don’t think is fair.

Hendo is set for a title shot in the UFC, and regarded as one of the top fighters in the game (deservedly so). But remember it was less than a year that Fedor had dropped Hendo late in the 1st round of their fight. He had him in legitimate trouble, even though the ensuring scramble saw things dramatically reversed (sorta like the 2nd Nog/Mir fight). In any case, that was a damn good fight and it’s just a shame Fedor isn’t able to more consistently face that type of competition.

Forget about the M-1/UFC bullshit… win, lose or draw Fedor has always been an incredibly talented fighter who is incapable of putting on a boring fight.

• climbarock says:

If it’s really the end for Fedor, Big Thanks for the great fights, and bon voyage. I was disappointed in the way his career went after Pride, but I’m over it.

• Niv says:

Well all I can say is thank you for all the great memories.

By far the most disrespected fighter in history and for no good reason. Like all great fighters they age and in Fedor’s case it was sudden. He fought a lot in his career and fought to win every time. He never strategized to stay away from his opponents strengths, he just dove in and fought balls out!

When he took Big Nog’s title in Pride that was a crazy exciting fight with a young lion willing to go where he shouldn’t to get that win.

I absolutely love this guy, I think he’s a class act and is the best HW of all-time. I hope he stays retired because he just isn’t the fighter he used to be, and I don’t want to see him become anothe Ali.

• Lord Faust says:

Fedor was never the problem, just the people he was surrounded with. Fedor is / was a fighter, he scrapped with whoever was in front of him. I can’t fault him for that. Obviously I wanted to see him in the UFC. I am probably in the minority, but his fights against lesser opponents only bothered me because I knew he was capable of greater things, but because I thought he was a fraud.

Also, the Fedor fanboys really did The Last Emperor a disservice. I will admit, my hatred of the fanboys translated into disparaging remarks about Fedor; not the mature way to act, but I would be dumb to pretend I didn’t stoop that low.

• Lord Faust says:

Ugh… *NOT BECAUSE I thought he was a fraud.

• Lord Faust says:

Looks like there’s some troll spamming the thumbs down on ever post.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Too late LF. You say you were mad at the fanboys but you were a hater. Too late to be reasonable now. Most “fanboys” (a term used by haters for anybody who rated Fedor) would say he was capable of beating UFC top guys but guys like you put him down and dragged his name as low as you could. Too late to take back the hate.

• stone says:

To think that Fedor vs JDS wouldnt be a GREAT fight is just STUPID…..