UFC 148 Conference Call Highlights: Anderson Silva has harsh words for Chael Sonnen

The trash-talking between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and silver-tongued scrapper Chael Sonnen has died down some during the final build towards their headlining bout at UFC 148. However, each man will have a chance to get some parting shots in later today when the two talented 185ers join Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, and UFC President Dana White on a conference call promoting the July 7 show.

The rivalry between Sonnen-Silva dates back to the hype for a 2010 fight where a continuous stream of smack from Sonnen amped things up to a fever pitch prior to their meeting. Though Sonnen nearly delivered on his bravado, beating Silva for four rounds until succumbing to a submission in the fifth, the second time around he’s taken aim at Silva’s family as well as his Brazilian heritage including an infamous line requesting a steak from the the title-holder’s wife.

Five Ounces of Pain will be on the line when the call starts at 2:00 PM EST and relaying highlights from the festivities back to readers as well as the occasional soundbyte.

Read below for a look at what all of the afternoon’s participants had to say:

Chael Sonnen

– “I’ve been training for combat since I was nine years old.”
– Thinks Silva’s skills are amateurish
– “Anderson says he’s gonna break my face? I’ve got two words for him – medium rare.”

Anderson Silva

– Calls Chael a criminal, says he’s been convicted of crimes and he doesn’t deserve to be in the Octagon
– “When the time is right I’m going to break his face and every one of his teeth in his mouth.”
– People who live in the past are in museums / “Playtime is over. The joke is over. I’m gonna beat his ass out of the UFC. He’s never gonna want to fight again after I’m done with him.”
– Doesn’t care what position he’s in against Sonnen because he’s going to “beat his ass”
– “What I’m gonna do inside the Octagon is going to change the image of the sport. I’m gonna make sure every one of his teeth are broken – his arms are broken, his legs are broken.” / Guarantees Sonnen will need assistance to leave the Octagon
– “I’m gonna make him pay and make him eat everything he said…I’m gonna beat him maybe the way his parents should have beat him to teach him some manners.”
– “I’m not playing anymore.”
– Believes Sonnen will need plastic surgery after the fight

Tito Ortiz

– Knows who Forrest is and how he fights
– “This fight means the world to me and it will show on July 7.”

Forrest Griffin

(Wasn’t asked a single question before call ended abruptly)

Dana White

– Calls UFC 148 one of the biggest sporting events of the year
– Expects more than a million buys
– Shocked by Silva’s demeanor (not in a bad way)

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

good to see Anderson so animated, hope he doesnt get all emotional and worked up like he did against Maia and not be able to perform.
    i’m no religious man but i will be praying that everything Anderson says is correct. lets take it back to 93 and send some teeth flying into the crowd

• AlphaOmega says:

You think silva is a little pissed?

• Lord Faust says:

Just two more weeks…. Ugh, so close yet still so far.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Truly, the conference call was amazing! I don’t even speak Portuguese and it was clear Silva was heated. Unfortunately Silva and Sonnen both disappeared about 30 minutes in and then five minutes later Dana abruptly ended it. Very strange.

• fanoftna33 says:

Havent heard A Silva this emotional ever, hope it translates well into the octagon or else we will have to hear Sonnen for the rest of his life talk about how he is the best fighter ever.

• AlphaOmega says:

That is strange, wonder if silva and chael were getting too heated and they had to get them out of there?

• Richard Stabone says:

Awesome!!!

• Angry Mike says:

Chael is a legit challenger, but Silva really is capable of hurting him. If I were Chael, I’d be having second thoughts about all the trash talk. I’ll bet Chael’s a little subdued during the walk out and in the octagon before the fight starts.

• THEGUNNER says:

I pcture silva dropping him and letting him up for another beating instead of finishing or doing an illigal kick and hurting sonnen getting dq ed for another round to put the hurt on this clown.

• I dont think anyone should be shocked if Anderson does do something illegal and get dq’d. Sonnen took shit too far by mentioning Anderson’s wife, and he’s lucky Anderson is a professional otherwise he might’ve opened up his door one day to find the greatest fighter of all time waiting for him with that patented front kick to the face. Sonnen better put Silva on his back and away quick, otherwise whatever limb The Spider grabs is getting broken.

• Richard Stabone says:

Win, lose or draw, Chael is set to rake in a tremendous amount of money for this fight. And I’d imagine his final payday is somehow tied to the PPV buys, so today’s little presser with Anderson finally starting to open up is great for everyone involved.

Minus Anderson Silva, the idea of Chael Sonnen headlining a PPV event with 1+ million buys is absurd. But Chael has managed to milk Silva for every minute of exposure & every penny he can…and done a damn good job with it.

So even though I remain fully convinced Chael is going to experience a one-sided beatdown on July 7, which will be embarrassing & unpleasant on some levels, Chael will still be the one laughing all the way to the bank. After all, it’s gotta be much easier to swallow your pride when you know you’ll be crapping it back out in the form of gold bricks. By the time the dust settles and the $$ from sponsors, fight money and (likely) PPV bonus is all accounted for, he’ll be looking at high six-figures (maybe 7?).

So if things play out as expected, I’d say everybody wins…

– Anderson defeats his nemesis in much more convincing fashion than the first time around, extending his reign as greatest champion in UFC history.

– We as fans get to enjoy the show and appreciate the greatness of Silva.

– The UFC gets a nice rebound in their PPV numbers and the tremendous revenue that comes with it, along with the wildly popular Anderson Silva continuing to boost their efforts in the Brazil market.

– Chael collects his fat paycheck and, with all the other exposure he’s drummed up for himself since the first Silva fight, should be able to parlay that into a decent post-fight career if he so chooses.

• darth_irritable says:

However, Richard – he might be laughing all the way to the bank, but likely only to cut the entire amount as a check for his medical bills and reconstructive surgery.

• AlphaOmega says:

UFC pays all medical bills don’t they?

• THEGUNNER says:

Im sure they have insurance. Im expecting a dirty fight. This cards gonna be fun to watch im praying for no sudden injuries

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m pretty sure if AS or Chael get hurt before this fight, either dana or Joe Silva will kill themselves. Due to all of their other big fights basically getting screwed up due to drug tests/injuries, they have to be praying this one doesn’t go that way.

• Niv says:

I think the hate is genuine coming from Silva, and I think it;s going to cost Sonnen a couple days of his life.

Sonnen will fight on a saturday but I expect him to find out about it Monday or Tuesday.

I’m pumped that Silva is jacked and I know he’s professional enough to keep his wits and hurt him every time he exposes himself. The visual I keep getting is the nasty shin to Carlos Newton’s face as he ducked in for a takedown.

Make it happen, personally I’m tired of the WWE tactics Sonnen brings to the table.

• Lord Faust says:

I highly doubt Silva will do anything to get himself DQed. This is the guy who, when motivated, makes guys like Yushin Okami look like the victims on Bully Beatdown.

• Dufresne says:

Personally I’m hoping that Silva makes Sonnen look like he was caught picking on a grizzly bears cub while he had a slab of bacon wrapped around his neck. I want Silva to flat out maul Sonnen.

• hindsightufuk says:

so, if everybody here is hoping Anderson wins, where have all of Chaels fans gone?
    i mean i never understood his appeal even before he got popped for PED’s, but there is a shit load of people who love him. where’s his defense gone?

• Dufresne says:

I guess his fans are like his balls, nonexistent.

• Angry Mike says:

If Chael wins, does that mean his non-existent balls are bigger than Silva’s? It’s like some kind of Buddhist riddle or something.

• MCM says:

I’m still on the road so I missed last weekends fights and will miss these as well. :(
    But since highsight asked, I figured I’d answer. I’m right here.
    My personal opinion is that Chael should be in jail. But since he’s not, I’ll enjoy his schtick while I can. Do I think he’s gonna win? Still not sure, but I’m hoping he does.
    There isn’t a champion in the UFC that pisses me off more than Silva. Not because of his fighting style, but because he’s a phony and a fake. I’m not talking about his striking skills, I’m talking about his pretend honor and anger at Sonnen. If he feels “disrespected” he should walk in the cage and dance around and refuse to fight, just like he did against Maia, Leites, etc. But we all know he won’t. Which means he’s either lying about being disrespected against Chael or he’s was lying in previous fights. And if he really is “honorable” like he’s claimed, why wouldn’t he give Chael the immediate rematch? Sonnen beat his ass for 23 out of 25 minutes. And when he came back, Silva and co. went out of their way to deny Chael a second fight. “We don’t feel Chael is the #1 contender.” But they’ll fight Vitor no problem, even though he had absolutely 0 fights in the UFC’s MW division. That’s straight up cowardly bullshit.
    I think AS is one of the best fighters in the sport, but he’s also one of the most arrogant, douche bags I’ve ever seen….and I live in L.A.
    So there you go hindsightufuk, I’ll defend him. Cause whether people want to admit it or not, when it comes to Anderson Silva, Chael has been nothing but right.

• Lord Faust says:

Chael amuses me, and I don’t hate him or anything, but I can’t see him winning this fight. We saw his best, and it was insufficient.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

What happens when Chael wins?

I think he is in Silva’s head. Sure you can say he is more motivated but, the times when he has looked most dominant he treats the fighter with mild annoyance and never says much.

Now he is making all these dire predictions? I’m gonna be so excited to see Chael win.

Chael has been a HUGE thorn in the side of AS for 2 years + now. I think it has finally thrown him off his game and I think it will cause him to make a mistake which will cost him the match. Not saying DQ but, like try too hard for that one big punch too many times and end up on his back.

• Lord Faust says:

Chael is going to try and bring the fight to Anderson, so we don’t have to worry about a situation the other bad fights. Anderson is boring as fuck when his opponents don’t try and engage, but Chael will be moving forward — that’s all he does. Whether he’s successful, that’s another story. It’s not like Chael is unbeatable; he’s got an active top game but it’s not like he’s dropping bombs like Brock Lesnar. Even if Anderson loses a round, they all start on the feet; Silva’s an incredibly smart striker and I am expecting more magic on July 7th.

• Richard Stabone says:

“What happens when Chael wins?”

A winged piggy emerges from my asshole?

• moosebaby02 says:

“A winged piggy emerges from my asshole?”
    classic. Line of the night.
    for anyone who thinks AS is a phony sonnen is worse. Finking out those people he shook hands with in his fraudullant ways lining his pockets so he can save his ass. talking shit bout Lance Armstrrong when he gets poped himself. F-ing hypercrite cant wait to see him get strechered out
    Still laughing at winged piggys comment Richard

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Anderson will struggle. Its possible that he will catch Sonnen with a knee or something but I can see this fight going much the same as the first. Sonnen via TKO rd 4.
    Sonnen wont butt scoot around the ring or stand in front of Silva and he may shatter a lot of myths with this fight.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Sonnen wins or he retires.

It’s a win/win.
    Hell, I’ll take Sonnen by 25 mims of GRINDAGE.
    I think that the 23+ mins of winning fight #1 still weighs on him hard.
    Sure he’s a total dick, but he’s OUR total dick.
    God bless the U.S.A…..er …I.mean North America.
    God Bless North America.