UFC looking to do Wanderlei Silva-Vitor Belfort II in Brazil this October

A broken hand may have laid waste to the headlining bout originally planned for this past weekend’s UFC 147 lineup but it looks like the UFC is still looking to have Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva meet in front of their fellow Brazilians before the year ends. According to UFC official Marshall Zelaznik, the Octagon will likely return to Rio in October with the event playing host to Belfort-Silva II.

The two legends first locked horns in 1998 with “The Phenom” putting the finishing touches on Silva in less than a minute. Recently, the rivalry was rekindled on TUF Brasil where each served as an opposing coach, and when Belfort fell to injury after taping concluded Silva was quick to call him out as being scared rather than actually hurt.

Another interesting note from the aftermath from UFC 147 involved company head Dana White stating to Fuel TV heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos was unlikely to defend his title against Cain Velasquez on September 22 in Toronto as had been discussed in the past. While it remains speculation at this point, his statement could indicate the possibility of the two fighting on the same Brazilian card attached to Silva-Belfort given the dates’ proximity to each other.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

10 COMMENTS
  • fanoftna33 says:

    Still excited to see this fight happen.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • AlphaOmega says:

    Is Cain’s hand worse then they initially thought I wonder? Is that why his and JDS’ fight is getting pushed back

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

  • Brendhan Conlan says:

    I’m hoping it’s because they still want to do an 80,000-seat stadium show in Brazil. Belfort-Silva and JDS-Velasquez would definitely be a good start towards making that happen.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • Richard Stabone says:

    After Wandy picked up another loss, this matchup really feels like a stretch to me. I still love watching the dude fight, but he’s dropped 7 outta 10 and is clearly in the twilight of his career.

    For Belfort, he’s won 7 of 8 with the only loss coming when Anderson delivered the Seagal Special to his face. He’s still injury plagued and doesn’t fight very often, but based on what he’s done in the cage is near the top of the division. His only losses in the past 5 years are Anderson & Hendo.

    Maybe if Wandy had been able to finish off Rich over the weekend (and damn did he come close) it would have made a little more sense, but off another loss it just seems a little silly & forced. I’d rather see Belfort mixing it up with the more relevant guys like Lombard, Bisping, Belcher & Stann. Then there’s Munoz/Weidman in there as well, so there are quite a few guys trying to line up for a title shot and jockeying for position… beating Wandy isn’t going to help Vitor’s cause there. And at 35 years old, with injury always a concern, this just seems like a waste of time unless he’s just about ready to ride off into the sunset himself.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

  • Lord Faust says:

    I wish this fight had happened before Cro Cop and Hendo nuked Wandy’s chin from orbit.

    As much as I would like to see this rematch, I can’t see any outcome besides Vitor notching another nasty KO win, and probably forcing Wanderlei into retirement — willing or otherwise.

    I’ll always be a Wanderlei Silva fan but the end of a storied career draws near.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • JabCrossHook says:

    Faust, Wand did fight vitor before his chin was shot from Hendo and CC…

    And he got KOed, remember?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • Richard Stabone says:

    A rematch with Leben would be a much better fit all around.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • Lord Faust says:

    Jab – I meant their rematch. Heh, I am aware of the initial meeting, and less-than-a-minute beating Vitor laid down.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • JabCrossHook says:

    On paper vitor should’ve been champ for a while the only thing stopping him was his mentality and maybe better footwork. If he had actually had lateral movement and used feints and struck to the body he could’ve given Anderson the fight of his life in the striking department. He was the only one on paper with good enough hands to give anderson fits. Too bad we will never know if they rematch I how we get a 3’round war

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • Dont care and I wish people would quit talking about Vitor as a title contender. He hasnt beaten anyone of any note at 185 in the UFC(his only two victories coming over a 4 fight losing streak laden Akiyama AND a cant make weight Anthony Johnson) let alone that none of his recent UFC victories other than Johnson involved him bludgeoning people in the back of he head(which sadly wasnt mentioned even though Erick Silva caught a DQ for WAY less blatant illegal blows). I think Vitor needs to start fighting Okami, Stann, Lombard, Belcher(OH HELL YEAH!), Palhares or other upper tier fighters in the MW division, and then we can call him a contender, not just give him another title shot based on his “on paper” ability to beat the Spider, or his long past accomplishments in the ring.
    Personally I think this is a lopsided fight against Wandy and wish they would reconsider this. If Wandy didnt want the fight so bad, Id protest it.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ