Clay Guida: “I think sometimes judges get the misconception of what MMA really is.”

Fans and media are quick to make their opinions heard when a decision even bordering on controversy unfolds in Mixed Martial Arts. However, little discussion surfaced in relation to this past Friday night’s main event fight between Clay Guida-Gray Maynard at UFC on FX 4. While many would argue Maynard deserved the judges’ favor based on his aggression, at least one person feels the wrong man earned the officials’ nod.

“I think sometimes judges get the misconception of what MMA really is. The guy who gets hit the least usually is the victor,” said a bitter Guida in an interview with MMAJunkie.

“I know Gray had a good time out there – I saw the frustration in his face. That was the plan. Our plan was to wear him down more and just not sit in the pocket with him,” he continued, alluding to his constant movement and limited offense. “I felt confident in my combinations, but the dude hits like a Mack truck, and I didn’t want to be there for too much of it.”

Maynard ultimately won a Split Decision as well as the crowd’s favor despite the group originally starting as a pro-Guida bunch. Comparably, Guida received criticism from countless fans in addition to UFC President Dana White for his infrequent engagement inside the Octagon.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• stone says:

Guida! GoDaMniT!….You’re the one with the “misconception”… You turned a UFC main event into a boring espn boxing match!…….YOU LOST!,.. get over it!

• hindsightufuk says:

he should have tried outfighting Clay instead of outpointing him. thats kinda the idea, least it used to be

• While I wasnt pleased wit Clay’s game plan, I felt he won that fight. Just as with Diaz vs. Condit, I feel its up to the guy who isnt able to catch his opponent to change his plan. I saw Guida win rounds 1-2-5 and figured the other two were so uneventful that they couldve gone either way. Now I do think that Guida should’ve been more active, but I also feel that if you’re the one circling and evading, and your opponent is following you, then that means YOU’RE dictating the fight, and controlling the ring(just like Condit Machida or Edgar does) but then again, I also understand the frustration from the fan standpoint.
    Either way, Id book a rematch on this one, neither one of them should be proud of what they did that night.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 12

• hindsightufuk says:

i think the dictating the fight argument is a grey area. I understand what you mean but by the same rational, if a guy is walking someone down causing the other guy to run somewhere, then he is also dictating where the fight takes place. by not engaging i dont think the ‘dictating the fight’ argument really counts.

• Richard Stabone says:

“i also think that there is a HUGE difference between counter fighting and simple evasion, and i think the line between the two gets blurred.”

Very well said. What Guida did this past weekend, particularly over the 2nd half of the fight, was closer to Kalib Starnes than it was Machida/Condit.

• Richard Stabone says:

Heh. Rematch will definitely not be happening. No way in hell the UFC rewards Clay with a rematch for that performance. Much more likely is Clay assuring the UFC he’ll be back to his normal approach next time out to avoid the risk of being demote to prelim slotting.

As for Maynard not being *proud*… well, yeah. I doubt Quarry was proud after fighting Starnes either, but what the hell was the guy supposed to do?

Maynard aggressively stalked Guida for 25 minutes. He tried his damndest to cut off the always-moving Guida. He pleaded with Guida to actually fight, tossing in a middle finger salute that you know drew some fist and/or chest bumps from the Diaz bros if they were watching. He even went so far as to drop his hands, which you sometimes see guys do, but actually followed it up by sticking his chin out and letting Clay tag him.

What else should Maynard have done?

He was stuck in essentially the same position that Nate Quarry was against Starnes, going up a guy who had no interest in engaging over the 2nd half of the fight.

• Angry Mike says:

Guida looked like an imperfect copy of Edgar. Edgar bobbed, weaved and feinted through the Maynard fights, but unlike Guida, he actually landed effective strikes. Guida didn’t have enough of that with Maynard. I would’ve scored the fight as a draw, but understand how a judge would’ve given the decision to Maynard, who was trying to fight.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

I know that very few people see it this way, but I also feel that Guida deserved the nod. I can see Greg Jackson’t gameplan going like this : He hits harder than you; Don’t try to trade with him. He’s a bigger wrestler than you are; don’t try to grapple with him….You are faster, and have beter footwork and cardio; that’s how we’ll win this fight.

I think that most people are upset because Guida did stick to the gameplan (which is harder than you would think). The problem was that “the gameplan” was drastically different from what we have grown to expect from Guida. What kind of coach would GJ be if he said: “I want you to go stand toe-to -toe with him until one of you falls down. I give you a 20% chance of victory, but this is what the fans want.”

• Richard Stabone says:

As I mentioned in another thread on here, the gameplan was fine. The problem is Guida doesn’t have the striking prowess of an Edgar, Condit or Machida to effectively execute that type of gameplan for an entire fight, especially a 5 rounder. If it had been a 3 round fight Clay probably would have won. But as the fight wore on, I believe Maynard would have eventually caught him if Clay hadn’t gradually backed off more & more the way he did, to the point the crowd completely turned on him and the ref had no choice but to step in to basically say, “knock it off.”

• Screenplaya says:

To me, this was more evidence that Clay Guida should move down in weight where he won’t need to fight in fear that the much bigger guy might cave in his skull. He will be able to mix it up more, while still retaining a speed and endurance advantage in almost all cases.

OR…we abolish weight-cutting in such a way that size mismatches are a thing of the past for the most part.

• Lord Faust says:

Respectfully, Mr. Guide, go fuck yourself on this one.

• Lord Faust says:

Sorry, had to get that out…

Look, I am all for game plans — only an idiot would step into a UFC cage with no predetermined plan of attack.

That said, Guida’s gameplan was garbage. As much as it pains me to say it, Condit did a hell of a lot more to Diaz with the same basic concept; at least Nick had a marked up face by the end of the fight. Maynard looked like he came back from a jog.

The judges scored it right; Guida looked like he was affraid to engage, never pressed the action, and by any of the criteria used for judging an MMA fight he lost. We’re not lacking in examples of bad judging but Mr. Guida is off-base, big time, on this one.

If he honestly thought that was how you win a fight, I really don’t want to see him fight again any time soon. In PRIDE he would have been yellow-carded into the poor house.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

For those defending Guida’s strategy, can you please tell me what would have happened if Maynard decided to employ the same approach and both men had refused to engage with regularity? You are willing to watch a fight with 95% of the the total action involving feints and circling?

• climbarock says:

This was the 2nd UFC fight to literally put me to sleep. The first was Mir v CroCop.

Guida’s most exciting fights have been losses. If he has his way, he’ll grind it out along the fence or in guard. Dude’s stand-up game is about as aesthetic as Keith Jardine’s. He’s all flying hair and that obnoxious energizer bunny act. I will make a sacrifice to the MMA gods for not allowing Clay to eek out the decision over Maynard.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

What is the misconception of what MMA really
    is ?
    Huh?
    What?
    Is MMA an enigma wrapped in a riddle?
    I don’t get it.
    As far as this fight goes , Maynard won, and maybe they’ll adopt some kind of non-engagement penalty in future fights( hint- the infamous Pride yellow card).
    It still sucks for me as a Guida fan.
    I hate this game plan of

• Dr.Stoppage says:

What is the misconception of what MMA really
    is ?
    Huh?
    What?
    Is MMA an enigma wrapped in a riddle?
    I don’t get it.
    It still sucks for me as a Guida fan.
    I always hate this game plan of “Whatever you do, don’t do anything”.
    But like certain ingredient injections, some fighters will continue to use the loophole until it is deemed illegal.
    I guess it’s all part of the evolution of the sport.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Please pardon my double post.
    I blame in on 5oz’s inability to allow me to edit myself and/or remove a post that I did not deem fit for this column.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Now that we’ve finally gotten our thumbs back I’ll make my next bug-the-tech-guy project a self-edit ability.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I do not however,blame in on the cucaine/ horse sedative cocktail that I enjoyed momemtsa be?ë$fo4 I lpogged ontoe thisc site.
    Yoo giuys 4rrrrawlsesomme!!!
    Callwemee 1+768 2h211%00 lI lovee you guysi!!
    Fedduerrt FTWlllsdkf.

• Kamakosmo says:

maybe they’ll adopt some kind of non-engagement penalty in future fights”( hint- the infamous Pride yellow card).”

If I remember correctly, that yellow card meant a deduction to your purse. I don’t think that can ever happen, due to Athletic Commission rules. However, I do think a Ref can deduct a point if he (or she…God, she’s a horrible Ref) deems the fighter is evading.

• Dr.Stoppage says: