Alistair Overeem out to prove he is “legit”

UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem recently turned heads after revealing he’d voluntarily decided to undergo random drug testing as a means of re-establishing faith in his accomplishments relating to talent rather than taking drugs. Overeem is currently out until December 27 after showing an elevated T:E ratio brought on by testosterone use in a screening prior to a planned fight against divisional champion Junior dos Santos.

Overeem elaborated on his decision to increase the frequency of his testing during this week’s episode of UFC Tonight where he explained his motivation and assured the public he still expects to be ready for a fight before year’s end.

“I’m slowly building up the confidence with the commission by doing random tests, monthly tests, to show that I am a clean fighter. And this way prove that I’m legit,” said Overeem, adding he hadn’t heard from UFC President Dana White since an April hearing with the Nevada Athletic Commission but wasn’t concerned about the matter. “I’ve not spoken to Dana personally but Dana’s a busy man. He’s got a company to run and fans to take care of. Basically, I respect Dana. I’m gonna convince Dana through my actions that I am a legit fighter and do the random tests.”

“The Demolition Man” also confirmed he’s still aiming at a fight with Dos Santos over New Year’s Eve Weekend, though is also open to taking on whomever the UFC throws his way.

“The commission told me at the hearing that (it) shouldn’t be a problem for me to get licensed when the nine-month (ruling) is finished. I’m pretty confident that I’m gonna get licensed and then we’ll go from there.”

Watch the full interview with Overeem below:

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/K-1

• Lord Faust says:

Love him or hate him, he’s a smart bastard. He’s coming for that belt, the Übereem cannot be ignored.

• Richard Stabone says:

If the UFC can finally catch a break and neither Cain nor JDS gets injured between now and their upcoming title bout, that doesn’t leave any room for Overeem fighting JDS on New Year’s. The earliest Cain/JDS will happen is October.

Overeem vs. Werdum would seem to make the most sense. But with the UFC being understandably reluctant to plan around an Overeem pairing until he’s officially reinstated, that again makes the timing very tricky for the New Year’s card.

No matter how it all shakes out, Alistair just needs to put himself in position to be able to friggin fight. Between the rash of injuries lately, along with guys like Reem, Diaz & Leben earning themselves suspensions, it’s put a major strain on the sport. There will always be some guys dealing with injuries, but it’ll be nice if/when Joe Silva and crew are playing with close to a full deck of cards again.

…oh, and Fedor vs. Overeem works as a contingency plan for New Year’s :)

• Lord Faust says:

They have announced fights before suspensions have officially been lifted. But yeah, it would be unlikely that he fights before 2013, let alone for the title.

Unless Reem knows something, and he’s taking this very measured approach to fixing his image to maneuver himself into a position of fall-back-guy.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m confused, how does willingly submit regular reports to the commission while he’s suspended help build their confidence? He’s the one choosing when he submits the tests, and since he’s suspended he can just not use anything and be like look the tests are clean cuz I know when and how they are going to happen.

• Lord Faust says:

According to the quote in the article, they are random tests. Whether they’re blood, or urine, and what standard is applied is all unknown.

• AlphaOmega says:

But still since he’s suspended, and willing to do monthly random tests, he could just not use anything, and then once he’s not suspended/not doing monthly random tests, go back to cycling right?

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah but if he’s shooting for a December fight then it wouldn’t matter. (The logistics of that actually happening being another matter.)