Luke Rockhold “not the biggest fan of Greg Jackson game plans”

Strikeforce middleweight champ Luke Rockhold was bold and to the point when he recently talked about the way Greg Jackson instructs his fighters to compete inside the cage.

Rockhold will face one of Jackson’s pupils on July 14 when he meets Tim Kennedy in the main event of Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy from Portland, Oregon. The event will air live on Showtime.

The two were expected to tangle earlier this year, but Kennedy pulled out with an injury. Instead, Rockhold (9-1) defended his title with a first round victory over Keith Jardine – also a fighter Jackson has trained.

“I’m not the biggest fan of Greg Jackson game plans,” said Rockhold, during a media conference call on Tuesday. “I quit wrestling for a reason. I hope he meets me in the middle and we can scrap it out.”

Rockhold added, “He yells the fighter’s names in the corner like, ‘Great job, beautiful kick Tim Kennedy,’ and I think that can affect the judges. It’s a form of cheating.”

Kennedy refused to get into a trash-talking match with Rockhold during the conference call, just saying, “It’s toilet. It’s unfounded criticism. It’s asinine.”

For the record Kennedy has finished twelve of the fourteen opponents he’s beaten in his career.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

• stone says:

Just off of this post alone, I’m pulling for Luke…. Greg Jackson’s game plan is a “safer bet” though.

• Lord Faust says:

Jackson is an angle-shooter. I wouldn’t go so far as to say he cheats, but if there’s a rule or a technical edge he sees then he’ll exploit it to its fullest extent.

Jackson does train his guys to be conscious of their positioning in the cage, to ensure the judges get a good view of everything they’re doing.

Maybe Greg should just go get some fans.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah I like it much more when fighters fight too Luke.

• MCM says:

I know I’m gonna get crap for this, but …….. I think GJ’s game plans are a necessary part of growing the sport of MMA.

MMA is a Sport and not a Fight as some fans continue to expect.
    Fights have no rules. They are easy to get into and can end very badly. They are also free and I would never pay $50 to watch one when I can see them every night at the bar or anytime I want on YouTube. And anybody can “fight”.
    Sports have rules. They are difficult to do and take a high level of discipline to compete in at a professional level. They generate revenue and are worth spending on as they are not something one can see everyday. Not everyone can compete in them, which is part of their appeal.

MMA is still a young sport. GJ’s game plans may create boring fights (and boring sport spectacles) but they also show us a different perspective on the rules and regulations of our fledgling sport. Whether good or bad is up to interpretation, but they do shed light on aspects that may need to be changed or amended as the sport grows.
    MMA now has time limits, it doesn’t allow GI’s, it has weight classes, all of which were legal or acceptable at one point but had to change as the sport grew. It’s Jacksons job to make sure his fighters win fights under the rules, if he has found holes in those rules that help his fighters get their hands raised, I can’t fault him for that. I don’t have to enjoy it either though.

• AlphaOmega says:

I agree with you MCM, at the end of the day a fighter wants to increase his stock, and taking tons of damage every fight, and loosing just so the fight is entertaining isn’t always the best way to go. They want to win, and they want to climb the ladder, Jackson finds ways for them to do that, and stay healthy, people wouldn’t be paying him big bucks if he didn’t do that. Sucks from a fans point of view yes

• Creature says:

Personally i dont think Greg deserves all the crap he gets from people, as posted above hes only doing his job, doing what fighters pay him to do. When a fighter wants to be the best in the world, they have to win, period. He does his best to try and make sure his fighter wins and give them the best shot possible to fulfill their dream. Does that sometimes mean following a less exciting gameplan? of course. But also people should remember he trains a ton of top level, exciting fighters. He is a big reason why Rashad is as good as he is now, same with Jones, Cerrone, Stann, Carwin, list goes on..

In all honestly id say i see way more exciting fights from fighters from his camp than not, and i know if i was a fighter who wasnt as naturally gifted as others, (take Guida for example) and wanted to be champ, id do whatever to accomplish that even if it meant grinding out a boring dec here and there. Gotta even the playing field somehow :P