Rashad Evans willing to drop to 185 pounds for fight with Anderson Silva

Throughout his career, former UFC light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans has been labeled as an undersized fighter whose body was best suited for a run at 185 pounds rather than against larger adversaries. Of course, with a 17-2-1 record and wins over some of MMA’s top names it’s hard to argue against the notion Evans has done more than fine following his own lead instead of that of others.

However, while Evans still isn’t wavering on his stance he has at least admitted he would drop to middleweight for a single scrap if circumstances dictated the possibility.

Anderson (Silva) is somebody I would love to fight because when it’s all said and done, whether you win or lose, to compete against the best in the sport is really what it’s all about,” said Evans in an interview with ProMMA Now. “You know, if I can walk away from my career and say I competed against some of the best in the sport in my time and era, then I can wrap up and say I had a really great career. So if the opportunity comes, and that fight happens, yeah I would drop to 185 to fight.”

Evans is currently healing up from an April outing against 205-pound champion Jon Jones while waiting for his next opponent to materialize. Meanwhile, Silva clearly has his hands full as well with a title-defense against Chael Sonnen slated for UFC 148.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

I think he’d be wise to take a tune-up fight to see how he adjusts to the cut, but I think he’d have a decent chance based on speed. Rashad is not an exceptionally large LHW, though he’s managed to make that moot except against Bones.

• AlphaOmega says:

Who’d you have him go against for a warm up fight before Silva if he did it?

• Creature says:

@Alpha.. Rich Franklin, his former TUF coach and MW champ would be a good test IMO

• JabCrossHook says:

I think vitor knocks rashad out.

• Lord Faust says:

If it’s a contender’s fight, Franklin would be good and Creature makes a good point as far as a storyline goes.

• Lord Faust says:

That depends on whether or not the UFC is would seriously entertain the notion of Rich challenging Anderson again — since I see him winning on July 7th…

I think the whole thing is extremely hypothetical; Rashad went to a decision with Jones, it’s not like he got run out of the light heavyweight division.

• darth_irritable says:

I think a warmup fight against Sonnen would work. Since he’d essentially be fighting a man with no head left, he’ll be able to assess the impact of making the cut to MW, with no real risk.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Strong wrestler and would destroy Silva imo and I think he knows it too.

• madheartmma says:

He could fight Rich.
    Or Hendo, or A. Belcher
    Just to name a few

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah he could drop down to 185 and fight Hendo and Franklin….except Hendo and Franklin are LHWs. Perhaps he could drop down to 185 and fight Frank Mir too, or maybe drop to 170 and fight Lesnar.
    I realise Franklin and Hendo have fought at MW (Franklin 5 years ago) but why would you suggest he drop down and fight a guy who is in the weight class he is in now?
    Imo he should be straight in a #1 contender fight and that would prolly be against Bisping or Munoz…cuz they are MWs.

• Creature says:

Logic you do know Franklin is back at 185 until he retires now right? I do agree i doubt we will ever see Hendo back at 185 unless its a Silva rematch, Do like the idea of Belcher/Shad as well

• Lord Faust says:

They need to open the Franklin / Rumbleweight division at 195.

• Creature says:

Agreed Faust, I think that would be perfect for guys like Franklin, Hendo, and Evans since there almost too big for MW yet a little small for LHW. I personally think if they had that weight, Hendo would rule it.. but then again im also just a huge Hendo fan ;)

I also feel the same about a 225-235 HW division and make 265+ Super heavy. Hopefully as MMA becomes more mainstream those divisions will eventually appear.

• stone says:

If I was Shad….I’d wanna avenge that Machida loss before calling it quits

• Lord Faust says:

Agreed Creature, I think the upper weights need more room. The jump from middleweight to light heavy and then heavyweight is a ridiculous disparity. It also punishes guys like Rashad, Hendo, Franklin, and many others who probably lose cardio going up or down.

• MCM says:

Never understood the 195 lb argument. At lighter weight, 10 lbs makes a big difference, but LW-MW are all 15 lbs apart. If you’re gonna make another category, wouldn’t it be 200 lbs? I’d rather see a 200 lb Cruiserweight division then a 230 LHW then a 265 HW. Super heavyweight loses all “prestige” and sounds like a bunch of fat guys that don’t work out (Timmayyy).

• AlphaOmega says:

On the topic of Franklin, why did him and Wanderlei fight at 190? They both had fights scheduled for 185 as it was, couldn’t they make it? Anyways back on topic and not on the more weight classes thing, since I never answered my own question, I’d like to see Evens fight maybe Munoz or Cung first then Silva.

• Lord Faust says:

Franklin had his fight date moved up by two weeks, I am sure it messed with his weight cut schedule.

• Richard Stabone says:

I totally agree, although I don’t think it’s practical yet to put another division in there between LHW (205) and HW (265).

What I mean is, take a look at the current top 10 HW list… how many of those guys couldn’t/wouldn’t fight at 230?

Guys like JDS, Cain, Werdum and Nog normally weigh in around 240, so a cut of ~10 lbs for dudes that big would be pretty routine if they chose to go that route.

Mir is maybe too big now, but if that division had existed it would have been the best fit for Mir, rather than packing on a bunch of weight/muscle to take on the Brocks & Carwins, to the point Mir apparently stopped producing a normal amount of testosterone at age 32 and led to his TRT usage.

Some of those tweener guys would probably jump up to the 230+ lb division, rather than everyone crowding into the 200-230 division, so from that standpoint things would probably get naturally spread out. But either way, it would leave those two division spread way too thin. The HW division barely has enough guys as it is to be a consistently deep, entertaining division.

But as the sport continues to expand, eventually I think it absolutely makes sense and will hopefully be a more practical option sooner than later.

• Richard Stabone says:

As for Rashad dropping to 185, someone threw the question out there and he went and answered. It’s not like he was gonna say he wouldn’t be interested in fighting Anderson Silva. And it’s not a dumb question to ask him, cuz there has certainly been talk along the way of him being a bit undersized at LHW. But while it’s an interesting hypothetical situation to kick around, it doesn’t sound at all likely to actually happen.

If Rashad did drop down, he’d definitely have to take at least one fight before serious consideration for a shot at Silva. Even Faber, who the UFC can give title shots fast enough, had to take a “warm up” fight when he dropped down.

• Creature says:

Little off topic but did anyone else on here think Franklin looked like he had improved a pretty decent amount in his time off? may have just been me but it seemed like his footwork had gotten better, and he looked a lot more smooth on the feet, especially with his jab. Minus the minute when he was fighting to survive the round, i was really impressed with him especially coming off a long layoff

• Angry Mike says:

Agreed, Creature. His striking looked better than ever. Good footwork and better head movement than I remembered. I was also impressed by the way he cut off the cage and kept ‘Wand backpedaling. He seemed confident, even after ‘Wand caught him in the second.