twitter google

Shinya Aoki, Bibiano Fernandes headed to ONE FC

A duo of former champions have signed on the dotted line to compete for ONE Fighting Championships, as Shinya Aoki and Bibiano Fernandes recently inked deals with the Asian organization. Aoki and Fernandes both held titles in DREAM when the promotion folded.

Earlier this month Fernandes was reported to have signed a deal with the UFC to meet Roland Delorme in July. However, the UFC’s announcement was premature to say the least, leading to the Brazilian bantamweight to later deny their statement and for good reason too given this week’s developments. The 32-year-old Fernandes is 11-3 with three consecutive victories to his credit.

Aoki (30-6) was last seen losing to Eddie Alvarez in a rematch from several years ago. Prior to that, the slick submission specialist had won seven straight since a 2010 loss to current Strikeforce lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez.

Both are expected to debut on August 31 at the promotion’s upcoming event in Manilla.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/DREAM

3 COMMENTS
  • joe mo mma says:

    It’s kind of upsetting to know that Aoki will never make it big in the US. His grappling skills are on another level compared to most of the fighters here, but his striking, wrestling and pure size are just no match for the top guys States side. Still entertaining to watch the guy tho.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • AlphaOmega says:

    Is Aoki the guy who fought Melendez in SF and kept butt scooting across the cage towards him? And when Melendez tried to hit him like that the ref would warn him not to.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • fanoftna33 says:

    I was hoping the UFC could get a hold of Aoki at least as he could be matched up with some pretty decent fighters.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.