“Minotauro” Nogueira has no date targeted for return to the ring

It’s not uncommon to hear the phrase “tap or snap” in relation to the dangers posed by certain submission moves. This past December, famed heavyweight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was presented with that very option in a fight against Frank Mir, deciding to try and tough a Kimura out rather than show any sign of weakness by conceding the defeat. Though indicative of his toughness, Nogueira’s choice was not necessarily the most intelligent route to take and resulted in the popular Brazilian’s arm being broken.

More than six months later and it appears little progress has been made in relation to Nogueira’s health despite “Minotauro” having signed to collide with Cheick Kongo at UFC 149. Nogueira recently updated fans on his condition, though unfortunately he still doesn’t seem to know when he’ll be ready to make his way back inside the Octagon.

“I was feeling much pain when I started my sparring trainings and did some wrestling moves. The impact hurt too much. It was really bad and it’s a contact sport. It made things difficult for me to have a good performance. Pain got in the way,” revealed Nogueira in an interview with TATAME, saying doctors had explained he would be ready in time for the tilt but he quickly realized that was not the case while preparing for it.

“I’d rather be 100 percent and protect my arm then get in injured. If I’m fighting, I have to be 100 percent. If it’s ok during practice it’s a sign I’m fine,” Nogueira continued, adding he still wasn’t sure when he’d receive an official thumbs up from his team of medical professionals. “We don’t have a date set. I’ve stopped training. I’m just working on my cardio, riding a bike and doing physiotherapy.”

Nogueira is 3-3 in his last six scraps with all of the losses involving some form of finish. Prior to the run the 36-year old had fought 35 times and never been stopped.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Angry Mike says:

Shoulda tapped. You don’t get any bonus money for a busted arm.

• AlphaOmega says:

I thought Mir said in the post fight interview that he just didn’t give him a chance to tap because he figured he wouldn’t?

• Lord Faust says:

Mir’s statement was somewhat ambiguous. I watched the whole post-fight for that one. Mir said “I grabbed his arm, and I just had a feeling he wouldn’t tap, so I braced myself and … well, if I say anything else you’ll probably think I’m sick.”

• Lord Faust says:

IMO, it was a combination of things; Nog’s pride in his BJJ, Mir’s solid technique and the fact he’s also a very large / strong man. If a lot of other guys tried that, I bet Nog would have had more time to consider his options, and maybe even escape, but a beast like Mir grabbing your arm gives you precious seconds.

Tick-“oh shit, he’s got my arm!”-Tock-“Maybe I shoud…” *SNAP!*

• MickeyC says:

Id give it 50/50 that he does not return at all.

• MickeyC says:

I take that back. 60/40 against.

• Angry Mike says:

I’ve seen the fight a few times, and I think Nog had time to tap. Maybe in the heat of the moment he didn’t sort through his options, but it took Mir a little time to lock in and torque. It wasn’t split second.

Nog was probably tryIng to process what exactly is fucking happening because I was winning a second ago ?

• He had plenty of time his hand was in tap position for awhile ..
    I watch this whole card once a month thanks to Dtv dvr