Chael Sonnen: “I’m out picking a fight. I’m not offering any apology to anyone for that.”

It’s been a week since UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva unleashed a verbal tirade on chief rival Chael Sonnen during a conference call with media. Since then Sonnen has done little to back off the behavior initially driving Silva to snap, making it clear he has no reservations about upsetting “The Spider” or suffering his bite inside the Octagon as a result of it.

“I’ve always believed in answering questions honestly. There’s a part of fighting I greatly believe in: it’s called respect. I don’t manufacture conflict. I’m not saying things to sell a fight. My job is to show up in short pants and a mouthpiece and punch the other guy in the face,” explained Sonnen in an interview with the Los Angeles Times. “If you want to make it a morality play, I’ll do it. In fact, I’ll speak to him about it Saturday night while running my fist up his prissy little self for 25 minutes to see where he’s at on that.”

As far as Silva’s reaction, who guaranteed Sonnen would need assistance to exit the eight-sided cage when they fight at UFC 148, the 35-year old Oregonian is not only unfazed by the threat but actually sees it as a good thing.

“I kind of expected it,” Sonnen stated on the topic of Silva’s anger before throwing another insult in the title-holder’s direction. “You idiot, Anderson, we signed up for a fistfight. I’ve been looking for this fight for two years, so that kind of stuff doesn’t work with me. Him talking like that? He’s singing my song.”

“I’m out picking a fight. I’m not offering any apology to anyone for that,” Sonnen continued. “He ducked me for four years before he had to fight me, and now he’s being forced into this again. I’m a volunteer army of one. This guy got drafted, and he’d like to duck the draft.”

Sonnen-Silva will see action in the main event this Saturday night. The bout marks a rematch of a 2010 tilt resulting in Silva barely retaining his belt by locking up a submission in the closing minutes of a match-up he was clearly losing on the scorecards leading up to the finish.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

“I don’t manufacture conflict. I’m not saying things to sell a fight.” – Sonnen

Says the man whom wanted CM Punk to walk him out to the cage in Chicago…and regurgitates old pro wrestling promos… Yeah Sonnen none of this is an act.

• Richard Stabone says:

Chael’s got about one more week of mass attention… can’t blame him for soaking up these last few drops.

• climbarock says:

So psyched for this rematch!

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 0

• THEGUNNER says:

If sonnen loses hes gonna have to move weight classes. No one would want to see a third fight unless silva losses.

• Lord Faust says:

“I’ve always believed in answering questions honestly.”

Are you sure Chael said that, guy sounded Mexican to me…

• Angry Mike says:

If they hug it out after the fight’s over, I swear I’m gonna vomit on my shoes.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 0

• Lord Faust says:

Silva wins, then Ed Soares rushes into the cage, blasts The Spider with a chairshot from Hell, and he and Sonnen spray-paint “nWo” on his back.

• moosebaby02 says:

I do know what there is say that hasnt bbeen said. Im going to order the fight now just so I can know I have it.

• AlphaOmega says:

You know how many people are going to be pissed if this fight ends up being incredibly boring?

• Richard Stabone says:

If they hug it out after the fight’s over, I swear I’m gonna vomit on my shoes.

Won’t happen. First, Chael wouldn’t offer a hug even if he wanted to. Second, he likely won’t be in a state where he’s capable. Sorta like Mir after the 2nd Brock fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

I bet they hug, or at least shake hands

• MCM says:

I’m gonna laugh sooooooo hard when Chael smashes Silva for 25 minutes.

• Richard Stabone says:

Regardless of who smashes who–or whatever in between–they aint gonna hug it out. I think either guy would offer Goldie a handjob (here…we..go!!) before a hug or even handshake.

These guys can appreciate (chael in particular) the fact they help each other make an enormous amount of money But any positive vibes and there.

“I’m gonna laugh sooooooo hard when Chael smashes Silva for 25 minutes.”
    Don’t you mean 22 & a half only to get submitted? :)

• Creature says:

Gotta agree with MCM on this one, I think this fight is going to look rather similar to the 1st one, minus the sub for Silva. And then, the MW division will get VERY interesting for the first time in a long time.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I hate both of them for different reasons. Hurry up and fight. Must say its not as annoying as Bones vs Sugar and a lot funnier but still Im over it.
    Sonnen by tko.

• JBAR says:

Seems like Chael is getting in Silva’s head. That could be a bad thing if it causes him to be over agressive because his strength is in his counter-punching ability.