Anderson Silva has to be physically restrained during staredown with Chael Sonnen

If any questions remained surrounding Anderson Silvas feelings towards Chael Sonnen they were answered today at a press conference promoting their headlining bout this Saturday night at UFC 148. Silva and Sonnen took numerous verbal shots at each other while responding to the crowd’s questions and came close to physical blows as well when asked to face off after the festivities had concluded.

“The game is over. The game is over. You guys will see on Saturday night what I’m talking about,” said Silva through translator Ed Soares. “He’s screwed.”

Silva was also quick to call Sonnen out based on past legal issues, as well as his use of testosterone, and even predicted a first-round finish. However, as heated as Silva’s words were they paled in comparison to his physical actions after the presser.

“The Spider” immediately went chest-to-chest with Sonnen, pushing him backwards on the stage, until UFC President Dana White and other officials intervened. Even then Silva continued to act aggressively towards Sonnen, swimming his way past the individuals in front of him to get in Sonnen’s face. After another 5-10 seconds of Silva trying to push past security his silver-tongued nemesis slinked off the stage to ease tensions.

Check out the complete presser below with things starting at about the 30:00 mark and the final minute containing the staredown:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• darth_irritable says:

Chael does not look happy.

• AlphaOmega says:

I watched the staredown, greatest one in awhile. Physically restrained sounds misleading though, that makes it sound like they had to tie him down because he was about to tear him up.

• Richard Stabone says:

Heh heh..nice. He gave him the Lee Murray treatment.

• Lord Faust says:

Richard! Thank you, I am glad I am not the only one who remembers that.

• Lord Faust says:

The Murray fight [link]

That’s what happens when he wants you to suffer.

• AlphaOmega says:

Also did anyone else see Dana’s pupils turn into dollar signs when Silva and Sonnen started getting a little physical..or was it just me?

• darth_irritable says:

No way does this end well for Sonnen.

• Creature says:

Id say it ending as the new MW champ and having a few more million dollars is ending pretty well if you ask me ;)

Sonnen is in borrowed time. God I hope Silva destroys him.

• MCM says:

Anyone else notice how Chael kept calling Silva out on his not speaking English, and yet every time Chael was answering a question, Silva would nod or shake his head to the answers?

ex.

Chael: “I’m a Cage Fighter, he’s a martial artist..”

Silva: -smiling and nodding in agreement when being called a martial artist.-

• Creature says:

@MCM, I noticed that too.. i think the whole Silva thing speaking English is one of the few things Sonnen says that is most likely completely true, Id guess its prolly on the level of Dos Santos.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah Dana White could restrain Silva. Please, its getting to be like a cross between Jerry Springer and WWE.

• Niv says:

The whole Silva speaks English thing is plain stupid guys. The guy obviously understands it but is probably very conscious of how he sounds speaking it.

My background is Greek, I speak the language fluently, however my younger brother brought up in the same household never speaks the language even though he understands it. His reasoning is he feels he’s butchering the language when speaking it.

Cut the man some slack, I hope Silva beats Sonnen so bad that he forgets how to speak at all for a while.

Just Bleeeeeed !!!! Sonnen just Bleeeed!!!

• AlphaOmega says:

On a completely unrelated note, apparently sonnen gave away two ufc 148 tickets to anyone who was the first to donate $1k to one of three Olympians.

• Dufresne says:

Silva used to try to speak English at UFC events and even at the Guy’s Choice Awards a few years back. I have a feeling it has a lot to do with what Niv said mixed in with the fact that he doesn’t want to pull a Wandy and say that he wants to “F*ck Sonnen”.

• Lord Faust says:

I’m with Niv on this one. I have decent French comprehension / reading, but I know I sound like an idiot from Ottawa so I stick to basic phrases like “meme chose sil vous plait” when I’m buying smokes at the depaneur; I always feel like I sound like an illiterate.

And like Soares said… “Silva’s english is better than Sonnen’s Portuguese.”

• Creature says:

But Sonnen has that perfect app for $9.95 ;)

• Lord Faust says:

And an excellent talent for disguise.