Dana White: “I have nothing against Fedor whatsoever.”

It remains unlikely as ever that heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko will ever see action inside the Octagon, especially in light of the Russian’s recent retirement from MMA. However, while such news brings frowns to the faces of many fans, it also appears not being able to work out the particulars with Emelianenko is one of UFC President Dana White’s rare regrets.

White went after Emelianenko in 2009 before “The Last Emperor” eventually signed with Strikeforce, nearly putting together a deal seeing the PRIDE icon face former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar under the UFC banner. Unfortunately, according to White, Emelianenko’s management rejected an extremely lucrative offer in favor of a bit more freedom as well as influence on the product.

“Obviously, I would have loved to make that fight with him and Brock at that point in time. It would have been awesome. But it obviously didn’t happen,” said White in an interview with MMAJunkie, adding that he harbors no ill will towards Emelianenko as opposed to the people who pull his strings.

“I have nothing against Fedor whatsoever. He’s definitely got some hardcore fans, man. I mean the guy can get knocked out four times in a row, and they still think he’s the f*cking greatest ever,” explained White. “I don’t hate the guy. There’s definitely no hate at all for Fedor. It was always his management. Anytime you ever heard me talk, it was about ‘Vadummy’ (Vadim Finkelstein) or the guys who managed his career.”

The 35-year old Emelianenko hung up his gloves after knocking Pedro Rizzo. The win improved his overall record to 34-4 and was his 26th career stoppage.

PHOTO CREDIT – TRIUMPH UNITED/STRIKEFORCE

• Lord Faust says:

Aside from all the times he specifically said “Fedor sucks” once he was on a losing skid.

I have no doubt the management team was the real obstacle, but Dana can’t seriously expect people to believe it was “nothing personal”?

It’s like when the mob burns down your house, rapes your wife and kills your family because you didn’t pay them protection money; “it’s nothing personal”.

• Angry Mike says:

All that is the same as calling somebody “dummy?”

• Lord Faust says:

The Fedor fanboys drive me nuts, as I am sure they drive Dana nuts, but he’s flown off the handle several times, throwing Fedor himself under the bus.

Obviously Dana has not sent Johnny Knuckles to Fedor’s door, asking him for “the pretzel monies” but the metaphor fits; once a deal seemed impossible, it was all about scorched Earth as far as Fedor’s reputation went.

Dana’s rants / back-peddling are just as bad as the obnoxious fanboys. Both sides also claim “it’s not personal”.

• AlphaOmega says:

4 times in a row? Am I missing one? Because I count two..

• Lord Faust says:

That was either a slip, or a hypothetical. Or he’s trolling us by intentionally mis-stating the number of loses Fedor racked up in SF.

Dana White: “I have nothing against Fedor whatsoever.”
    Now that he’s retired.

At Dana’s age it’s just slightly immature to add the word dummy to somebodies name to insult them… Can any body picture there boss or themselves saying shit like that in a professional setting

• Lord Faust says:

Not twice.

• Screenplaya says:

I actually believe Dana here. He talked shit, but I think it is true that it was mainly aimed at and imspired by Fedor’s representatives. I mean, Dana said Fedor was clearly not the best fighter in MMA, and that was a true statement that isn’t disrespectful, unless you are one of the deluded folks who were sure he was the greatest.

Dana pops off, and behaves non-professionally a good deal of the time, but I am happy to have him as the driving force behind this sport.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah those deluded people like GSP, Trigg, Ruten, Roegan, Big Nog etc. What fools they were. Dana was right when Fedor refused to sign with SF by saying he wasnt the best. Its not like he had a motive to talk him down is it? Its obvious he was right when he said Lesnar was the best.
    Speaking of DELUDED. Fedor WAS the best. He isnt now but hey, neither is Royce Gracie Or Dan Severn.
    Fedor was considered the best for the best part of a decade by most independant fighters and commentators/fighters and also by some attached to the UFC such as Joe Roegan and GSP. To actually ackowledge this made you a “fanboy”. What makes me sick is all those UFC marks and haters now turning around and softening their Fedor hate now he has retired. Listen go f@ck yourselves. You guys all acted like prize turkeys for fucking years by disrespecting Fedor and being completely unreasonable. Dana I can understand becuz the dude has motive to spin it his way but all those that towed the UFC company line like good little groupies get no forgiveness from me. I never once suggested that Fedor would “destroy the UFC fighters” or any of that rubbish but I did try to point out that fuck heads that were so against Fedor were just naive fools.
    People still go on about Fedors managers etc who worked successfully with SF, Dream, Affliction, Bellator, Pride and others as if they were “hard to deal with”. Well tell me who the fuck the UFC deals with. Nobody! The UFC doesnt deal with ANYBODY. That is the reason he was never in the UFC, it is not becuz M1 was difficult becuz they have dealt with dozens of orgs, it was becuz the UFC doesnt deal with any other promotion. Its ZUFFA or nothing.
    Another thing that really bugs me is all these haters now blaming Fedor fans for being dickheads. Pffft what a fucking joke.
    Sorry but all this time people were talking shit and now they change their tune?!. Please dont bother.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

…refused to sign with the UFC…

• Lord Faust says:

You act like anyone here giving Fedor his due somehow translates to respecting you.

People like you are exactly the fanboys I am talking about. It’s been a while since I’ve seen your Fedor copy pasta; still as bland as ever I might add.

It’s a lot easier to give Fedor his due when unpaid schills like yourself aren’t poisoning the conversation well.

• Niv says:

Dana White cracks me up some times, even when you think he’s attempting nice he’s still a douche.

There’s a conotation in there where he’s trying to take away from his legacy based off losses at the end of his career.

I wonder if he thinks it be fair to wipe away the Ice Man’s legacy because he actually was ko’d at least 4 times in the end of his career.

• AlphaOmega says:

I knew this story would bring a long post out of Logic again